Judge Lets NRA's Lawsuit Against Andrew Cuomo Move Forward

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Judge Lets NRA's Lawsuit Against Andrew Cuomo Move Forward

Postby jdege on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:23 pm

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20181111/01400041021/judge-lets-nras-1st-amendment-lawsuit-against-andrew-cuomo-move-forward.shtml
Judge Lets NRA's 1st Amendment Lawsuit Against Andrew Cuomo Move Forward
Let's put some cards on the table to start off this post: I think Andrew Cuomo is a terrible governor of NY (and he was a terrible Attorney General before that), and doesn't deserve to be in office. I also think the NRA is a joke of an organization, that stirs up ******** fear and racial divisions, and frequently ******* on the 1st Amendment plenty of times when people try to challenge the 2nd Amendment. I recognize that some percentage of you probably feel differently about Cuomo and (chances are...) a non-overlapping venn diagram of you probably feel differently about the NRA. I think they're both terrible and should disappear from public life. And I say that upfront because my position on this particular lawsuit has nothing to do with which side I "like." I don't like either one.

But on the law in this particular case, clearly the NRA is in the right, while Cuomo is wrong. And thankfully, so far a judge agrees.

Not exactly a supporter, but...
jdege

Re: Judge Lets NRA's Lawsuit Against Andrew Cuomo Move Forward

Postby andrewP on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:09 am

Actually, I think the fact that the author of that article actively displays a dislike for the NRA makes the fact that he agrees with the judge's ruling in the case more powerful. Honestly, I'm not always the NRA's biggest fan myself. I think a lot of their tactics are pretty ham-handed, and I wish they'd stay on topic rather than branching out into non-gun issues, where I often find myself disagreeing with them, but I'm still glad that the organization fights for gun rights, so I end up thinking that their existence is a net positive.
andrewP

Postby Randygmn on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:15 am

For all of those that are quick to condemn the NRA- they’re the only ones in the thick of it. Currently suing NY and as of yesterday, suing Washington State to overturn an unconstitutional referendum. From the other national organizations.... crickets. (Excluding the small but powerful 2AF)
Randygmn

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:42 pm

The more organizations that are fighting for our constitutional rights to be preserved, the better I like it. I don't have to agree with every thing they say or do, but I'm glad there is organizations that fight for us. I support the NRA and the 2A Foundation. Fighting with a group, is far better than trying to fight individually.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby sansooshooter on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 am

Whether you like Trump or not . One of the things he has been doing well is stacking the courts with right wing judges.
The left has been very successful at using judges to make law from the bench , that would never make it through the legislative process .
More constructionist judges will be good for us 2A supporters.
sansooshooter

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:12 pm

sansooshooter wrote:Whether you like Trump or not . One of the things he has been doing well is stacking the courts with right wing judges.
The left has been very successful at using judges to make law from the bench , that would never make it through the legislative process .
More constructionist judges will be good for us 2A supporters.

Winning
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News