The Second Amendment Has Always Been An Individual Right

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:12 am

https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/29/second-amendment-always-individual-right/
Stevens told the Times that he even took “an extraordinary step in trying to head off the decision,” preemptively sending the other justices a probable dissent to convince them to change their positions. “The combination of its actual practical impact by increasing the use of guns in the country and also the legal reasoning, which I thought was totally unpersuasive,” he says, “persuaded me that the case is just about as bad as any in my tenure.”

Stevens doesn’t even attempt to hide the political motivation behind his argument. Earlier this year, in fact, Stevens implored Americans to do what he couldn’t while on the court, and repeal the Second Amendment. Stevens quotes former Chief Justice Burger, who in 1991 claimed that activists had perpetrated “one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”

Both these justices rely on an expedient revisionist history to make their claims. This effort was spearheaded by left-wing historians who attempted to retroactively dismiss the ubiquitous presence of guns in American life and the role firearms played in the rise of a nation. It was taken up by anti-firearm activists and journalists who have used that revisionist history to dismiss the overwhelming evidence that the founding generation believed individual Americans had an inherent right to bear those arms.

All of these forces fostered a “collective right” theory regarding the Second Amendment that was normalized in legal and political circles for decades. Countless judges, like Stevens, latched onto this mythology in an attempt to disarm law-abiding individuals in the name of safety.
jdege

Re: The Second Amendment Has Always Been An Individual Right

Postby Grayskies on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 am

And Roberts scolds Trump because the judiciary isn't political...
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby goalie on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 pm

They ALL are.

Only a f#$@$ moron reads the bill of Rights and thinks that all of them, EXCEPT THE SECOND, are individual Rights.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Grayskies wrote:And Roberts scolds Trump because the judiciary isn't political...

Yes, yes he did
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 pm

goalie wrote:They ALL are.

Only a f#$@$ moron reads the bill of Rights and thinks that all of them, EXCEPT THE SECOND, are individual Rights.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I seem remember "when the founders meant the state they said the state and when they meant the people they said the people."

Interesting how language means things, you would think the dems with their ginormous brains stuffed full of knowledge don't understand this...
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 am

Was it Orwell or Rand who wrote about the tyrant and the power of twisting language?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Return to In The News