New Jersy mag ban starts today

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: New Jersy mag ban starts today

Postby sansooshooter on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:13 pm

jdege wrote:
sansooshooter wrote:I keep hearing from other gun owners that none of the anti gun stuff will pass . Yet it happens in other states and they still don't believe it could happen here.

No, of course it couldn't happen here.

And if it does, it's because those other people didn't do enough.

It's not like I should have to get off the couch and do something myself.

Exactly what I been preaching to the people who say that !!!
Its damn hard to get people who spend hours a day on the internet to do something like sent a email to some political class politician to maintain their constitutional rights !
They all seem to think somebody else will do it and their effort won't count .
I made a lot of phone calls and emails over the years and will do so again this year !!!
sansooshooter

Postby bstrawse on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Only way it could pass is if the republicans give in.

Only one Republican has to give in.

Two Republicans last year in the Senate co-sponsored gun control bills in partnership w/ DFLers.

You think they'll hold the line this year?
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby andrewP on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
andrewP wrote:Hm, the lowest capacity gun in my house holds 8 rounds, so...

Have fun turning them in. Same line as the bump stocks.

Exactly my point. Pistols with 10+ round capacity are completely commonplace. The idea that a 6-round limit could gain any real traction *should* be absurd. Whether it'll go anywhere in reality remains to be seen, I guess.
andrewP

Postby Ghost on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:15 pm

andrewP wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
andrewP wrote:Hm, the lowest capacity gun in my house holds 8 rounds, so...

Have fun turning them in. Same line as the bump stocks.

Exactly my point. Pistols with 10+ round capacity are completely commonplace. The idea that a 6-round limit could gain any real traction *should* be absurd. Whether it'll go anywhere in reality remains to be seen, I guess.

I'd rather them try for 6 than more. Hell, have them pass a single shot only law please.
Ghost

Postby sansooshooter on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:06 am

bstrawse wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Only way it could pass is if the republicans give in.

Only one Republican has to give in.

Two Republicans last year in the Senate co-sponsored gun control bills in partnership w/ DFLers.

You think they'll hold the line this year?

That's exactly why I have no faith in Republicans or any political class member .
sansooshooter

Postby andrewP on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 am

Ghost wrote:I'd rather them try for 6 than more. Hell, have them pass a single shot only law please.

The more absurd, the more easily struck down, right? I'm with you there.
andrewP

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:07 am

andrewP wrote:
Ghost wrote:I'd rather them try for 6 than more. Hell, have them pass a single shot only law please.

The more absurd, the more easily struck down, right? I'm with you there.

Exactly
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 am

WHO makes a 6-round magazine ? Nobody that I'm aware of. In effect they have outlawed pistols until 6-round mags are available, and by then they will change it to 5. Will magazine "stuffers" like the devices used in shotgun tubes be allowed ? Who will verify? Who will care ?

What about the 7, 8, 9, or 10 round revolvers that are available ? Are these just outright illegal ??? And do they get the majority of revolvers when they go to 5-shot limit ?

Just things to ponder from over the border where we wonder what is in store for us.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:WHO makes a 6-round magazine ? Nobody that I'm aware of. In effect they have outlawed pistols until 6-round mags are available, and by then they will change it to 5. Will magazine "stuffers" like the devices used in shotgun tubes be allowed ? Who will verify? Who will care ?

What about the 7, 8, 9, or 10 round revolvers that are available ? Are these just outright illegal ??? And do they get the majority of revolvers when they go to 5-shot limit ?

Just things to ponder from over the border where we wonder what is in store for us.

I believe the guys in NJ have to insert a plug type device in their mags to get down to 10.

I think they also can install a stop screw, because nobody could remove that.
Ghost

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 am

I think New York went for 7 and the courts said it wasn't enforceable. I think they ended up at 10. I could be wrong.
Jackpine Savage

Postby MJY65 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 am

Let's hope some of these bans make it before the new SCOTUS and get smacked down. That would be the best way to keep the lid on our own legislature.
MJY65

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 am

MJY65 wrote:Let's hope some of these bans make it before the new SCOTUS and get smacked down. That would be the best way to keep the lid on our own legislature.

Let’s stop it before it even makes it that far.
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 am

^^^^^^^^^

I'm talking about challenges to NJ, NY, CO, etc. There's not "stopping" those, only hope is a court ruling that would prevent similar laws from being enacted here.
MJY65

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 am

Ghost wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:WHO makes a 6-round magazine ? Nobody that I'm aware of. In effect they have outlawed pistols until 6-round mags are available, and by then they will change it to 5. Will magazine "stuffers" like the devices used in shotgun tubes be allowed ? Who will verify? Who will care ?

I believe the guys in NJ have to insert a plug type device in their mags to get down to 10.

From what I understand of the NJ law, mags have to be permanently retrofitted in such a way they can't be changed back to full capacity.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I believe the guys in NJ have to insert a plug type device in their mags to get down to 10.

From what I understand of the NJ law, mags have to be permanently retrofitted in such a way they can't be changed back to full capacity.[/quote]
You may be right my source may not be that knowledgeable as it was another Internet forum.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to In The News