80th OREGON LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY--2019 SB 501

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

80th OREGON LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY--2019 SB 501

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm

SUMMARY
The following summary is not prepared by the sponsors of the measure and is not a part of the body thereof subject
to consideration by the Legislative Assembly. It is an editor’s brief statement of the essential features of the
measure as introduced.
Requires person to secure permit before purchasing or otherwise receiving firearm. Specifies
qualifications for permit and manner of applying for permit. Creates procedures for appealing denial
of permit. Punishes receipt of firearm without valid permit by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment,
$6,250 fine, or both.
Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to secure firearm with trigger or cable lock or
in locked container. Punishes failure to secure firearm by maximum of 30 days’ imprisonment, $1,250
fine, or both.
Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to report to law enforcement agency loss or
theft of firearm within 24 hours. Punishes failure to report loss or theft by maximum of 30 days’
imprisonment, $1,250 fine, or both.
Prohibits possession of magazine with capacity to hold more than five rounds of ammunition.
Provides that person in possession of such magazine must sell or otherwise dispose of magazine
within 180 days of effective date of Act. Punishes unlawful possession of magazine capable of holding
more than five rounds by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both.
Requires criminal background check before transfer of ammunition. Restricts ammunition receipt to 20 rounds within 30-day period.
Prohibits transfer of firearm by gun dealer or private party until latter of 14 days or Department
of State Police has determined that recipient is qualified to receive firearm.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB501/Introduced
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: 80th OREGON LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY--2019 SB 501

Postby Grayskies on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Truly ugly.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Further down the tubes they go.
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Some of this will surface in MN. The Universal background check bill introduced last week only allows one firearm per month to be purchased, all transactions require a permit to purchase. Permit to carry would no longer be valid as an alternative.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ghost on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 pm

bstrawse wrote:Some of this will surface in MN. The Universal background check bill introduced last week only allows one firearm per month to be purchased, all transactions require a permit to purchase. Permit to carry would no longer be valid as an alternative.

The whole permit to purchase requirement already in place in Minnesota should mitigate a lot of what they want. We've had background checks so why do it again. Seemingly most people want proof of permit (either one) before selling and those that don't won't care anyway.
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Ghost wrote:
bstrawse wrote:Some of this will surface in MN. The Universal background check bill introduced last week only allows one firearm per month to be purchased, all transactions require a permit to purchase. Permit to carry would no longer be valid as an alternative.

The whole permit to purchase requirement already in place in Minnesota should mitigate a lot of what they want. We've had background checks so why do it again. Seemingly most people want proof of permit (either one) before selling and those that don't won't care anyway.

The proposed legislation in MN requires a PTP on ALL firearm transactions - you will do that at a dealer. YOu must have a permit to purchase.

The permit to purchase will expire after buyin ga single firearm. You can apply for a new one in 30 days -- so one gun per 30 days.

That's not what is in place today.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:01 pm

An otherwise great State controlled by the Leftist in the major cities. Not enough pull from the adults who live out state to stop these measures.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Ghost wrote:

The proposed legislation in MN requires a PTP on ALL firearm transactions - you will do that at a dealer. YOu must have a permit to purchase.

The permit to purchase will expire after buyin ga single firearm. You can apply for a new one in 30 days -- so one gun per 30 days.

I realize that's not what's in place today, my point is MN has done a pretty good job of making people already jump through hoops already to buy a pistol or "assault" rifle. This is purely control.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Ghost wrote:

30 days!!!!!!!! Only one gun in 30 days!!!!!

I can't live under those conditions
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:30 days!!!!!!!! Only one gun in 30 days!!!!!

Maybe you can keep buying and every 31 days you can go pick one up and take it home. Almost like buying a suppressor.

Do suppressors count as firearms???
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Ghost wrote:

Maybe you can keep buying and every 31 days you can go pick one up and take it home. Almost like buying a suppressor.

Ya, that does not work for my alternative lifestyle. I identify as a gun nut so....

Do they have special bathrooms for me? They really should.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Ya, that does not work for my alternative lifestyle. I identify as a gun nut so....

Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Ya, that does not work for my alternative lifestyle. I identify as a gun nut so....

I like this idea, gun storage for when your seated, instead of a baby changing table, a gun cleaning table! :D
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 pm

I am all for that.

No one but us wants a bathroom that sinks like Hoppes anyway.
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I am all for that.

No one but us wants a bathroom that sinks like Hoppes anyway.

Do they still sell their air freshener? My dad's shop always smelled awesome.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hoppe%2 ... k&ie=UTF-8
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Next

Return to In The News