Senate Democrats propose tougher gun restrictions

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Senate Democrats propose tougher gun restrictions

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 am

http://www.fox9.com/news/politics/senate-democrats-propose-tougher-gun-restrictions-draw-ire-of-gun-owners
Senate Democrats propose tougher gun restrictions, draw ire of gun owners
Supporters of tougher gun restrictions have put Minnesota lawmakers on notice: they’ll be watching to ensure legislation passes this year.

Now, as Senate Democrats propose two changes to tighten the state’s gun laws, gun owners have made it known they’re paying attention, too.

Democrats on Thursday introduced bills to mandate background checks before every gun purchase and expand the use of emergency protective orders that allow police to remove guns from a person’s home. Lawmakers unveiled their plans on the same day that the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus was in the Capitol to lobby lawmakers against making changes.

Has anyone seen the details? This has me wondering...

The background check bill requires a person to go to a law enforcement agency and submit information for a criminal background check. The person would get a permit valid for one year with no cap on the number of firearms he or she can purchase.

The background check requirement would apply to all firearms purchases. The bill does not change the current 18-year-old age limit for gun purchases.
jdege

Re: Senate Democrats propose tougher gun restrictions

Postby bstrawse on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:24 am

The details of the bill and links to the bill text are on http://gunowners.mn/tracker

The permit they're mentioning is the standard Minnesota Permit to Purchase.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25 am

jdege wrote:Has anyone seen the details? This has me wondering...

The bill I read modified the purchase permit law. You'd need a PtP for all firearms, the PtP would only be valid for 1 purchase and you could only apply for 1 permit every 30 days. Permits to carry would no longer be valid for purchases.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby bstrawse on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:30 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jdege wrote:Has anyone seen the details? This has me wondering...

The bill I read modified the purchase permit law. You'd need a PtP for all firearms, the PtP would only be valid for 1 purchase and you could only apply for 1 permit every 30 days. Permits to carry would no longer be valid for purchases.

That bill is HF 8... the Senate bill, which is different and what was introduced yesterday, is SF 434.

See a full list of current pro-gun rights and gun control legislation at http://gunowners.mn/tracker -- there are clear language explanations, our position on the bill, and links to the actual bill text there.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks.
jdege

Postby MJY65 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Does anyone know the frequency with which backgrounds are re-checked to verify eligibility of PTC holders? I'd assume it's more than the one time at issuance.
MJY65

Postby jdege on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 pm

MJY65 wrote:Does anyone know the frequency with which backgrounds are re-checked to verify eligibility of PTC holders? I'd assume it's more than the one time at issuance.

IIRC, it was once a year.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Ridiculous
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:00 pm

MJY65 wrote:Does anyone know the frequency with which backgrounds are re-checked to verify eligibility of PTC holders? I'd assume it's more than the one time at issuance.

It's done annually. In addition, the laws were changed in 2014 I believe it was that tightened MN's process on ensuring that a PTP or PTC was revoked upon a disqualifying conviction and other disqualifications under MN law -- so things that happen between those annual checks would be caught as well.

b
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Ghost wrote:Ridiculous

Oh there's more ridiculous crap coming.

One Senator was going to introduce a 6 round magazine restriction because "that's what revolvers have" -- but he appears to have backed off of that.
bstrawse

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:20 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Ghost wrote:Ridiculous

Oh there's more ridiculous crap coming.

One Senator was going to introduce a 6 round magazine restriction because "that's what revolvers have" -- but he appears to have backed off of that.

That may drive us to riot.
Ghost

Postby MJY65 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:29 pm

bstrawse wrote:

It's done annually. In addition, the laws were changed in 2014 I believe it was that tightened MN's process on ensuring that a PTP or PTC was revoked upon a disqualifying conviction and other disqualifications under MN law -- so things that happen between those annual checks would be caught as well.

b

Then there is absolutely no (credible) reason why a PTC holder should EVER have to undergo additional background checks. That card should be the Golden Ticket that could be presented to any FFL or private individual.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 pm

MJY65 wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

Then there is absolutely no (credible) reason why a PTC holder should EVER have to undergo additional background checks. That card should be the Golden Ticket that could be presented to any FFL or private individual.

There’s no reason to do any of it since it won’t make a difference. Bad guys get guns illegally and good guys who snap pass background checks before snapping.
Ghost

Postby Citiot on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 pm

bstrawse wrote:

b

So, in essence, once per year, you get an automated permit to purchase. PTC carriers might buy one gun per year, so this redundant background check does nothing bar a PTC holder having a disqualifying event in that year.... which is rare (a handful of people?) What's the math on this? How many PTC lose their permit due to disqualifying events per year? (and would get put into the FBI database anyway)

Off topic. I live in Scott County and sometimes hear on the scanner during police calls that a particular address has a "permit to purchase" This PTP is a a registry since that event goes into the police incident report database and is a way to count how many firearms you have.

Folks, step up and help our MN Gun Owners Caucus. (I personally won't have anything to do with the Iowa, er, I mean Minnesota Gun Rights organization)
Citiot

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Citiot wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

So, in essence, once per year, you get an automated permit to purchase. PTC carriers might buy one gun per year, so this redundant background check does nothing bar a PTC holder having a disqualifying event in that year.... which is rare (a handful of people?) What's the math on this? How many PTC lose their permit due to disqualifying events per year? (and would get put into the FBI database anyway)

Off topic. I live in Scott County and sometimes hear on the scanner during police calls that a particular address has a "permit to purchase" This PTP is a a registry since that event goes into the police incident report database and is a way to count how many firearms you have.

Folks, step up and help our MN Gun Owners Caucus. (I personally won't have anything to do with the Iowa, er, I mean Minnesota Gun Rights organization)

Right now your ptp is good for one year. For as many firearms as you can hide from your significant other when buying from an FFL. Private party may ask to see your ptp also. PTC is good for 5 years but with both you will still need NCIS check at an FFL.
Sorcerer

Next

Return to In The News