Police say school bus driver shot on I-35W after crash

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Police say school bus driver shot on I-35W after crash

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Any new information on this today?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Any new information on this today?

Strib has an update; the nuts and bolts being:
Kenneth W. Lilly, jailed since Tuesday in connection with the gunfire that wounded the driver that afternoon along Interstate 35W south of downtown, was charged in Hennepin County District Court with attempted second-degree murder and second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon.
shooter is claiming self defense;
Chief Deputy County Attorney Dave Brown, and Police Chief Medaria Arradondo are drama queens:
"Certainly this is very troubling to have someone that is providing safety transportation to our students being injured by gunfire," the chief continued. For the girl to experience such violence "is intolerable [and] certainly something that none of us, as Minnesotans, could ever tolerate."

Brown stopped short of calling what happened an act of road rage. Brown said he's grateful not only that the driver wasn't killed and the child wasn't injured, but also that no one else was hurt that day.

"These bullets travel an awful long way, and the thought that another innocent bystander is hit by one of these bullets just scares everybody," he said.

http://www.startribune.com/charges-expected-today-against-man-accused-of-shooting-minneapolis-bus-driver/505507232/
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm

FYI video at link

http://www.startribune.com/charges-expected-today-against-man-accused-of-shooting-minneapolis-bus-driver/505507232/
According to the charges:
The bus driver was trying to merge onto the interstate when he collided with Lilly's car, according to investigators. The driver said he was unaware of the collision, but troopers saw paint from the bus on Lilly's vehicle.
Lilly soon stopped on the interstate, walked toward the bus stopped behind him and was shouting at the driver while trying to get onboard. The driver said no because he had a child on the bus.
As Lilly walked toward the driver's side corner of the bus, the driver appeared to be trying to slowly pull into traffic, the complaint said. Traffic camera video showed Lilly walking to the front of the bus and "retreating to a safe spot" before shooting.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Good video. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby BigBlue on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Ugh...

The man charged with shooting through the window of a school bus and wounding the 78-year-old driver on a busy Minneapolis interstate this week made his first court appearance Friday, where he was ordered to surrender his permit to carry a firearm and must stay away from guns and ammunition.

From Red Star article here: http://www.startribune.com/man-charged- ... 505575502/
BigBlue

Postby Randygmn on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:25 pm

BigBlue wrote:Ugh...

The man charged with shooting through the window of a school bus and wounding the 78-year-old driver on a busy Minneapolis interstate this week made his first court appearance Friday, where he was ordered to surrender his permit to carry a firearm and must stay away from guns and ammunition.

From Red Star article here: http://www.startribune.com/man-charged- ... 505575502/

It was obvious from the video as he was open carrying his pistol like a cop.
Randygmn

Postby INOR on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm

It gets worse. This is the guy who shot lavauntai broadbent a few years back.

St. Paul man charged in school bus shooting was involved in fatal shooting of 16-year-old https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/08/s ... bent-2015/

INOR

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:44 pm

INOR wrote:It gets worse. This is the guy who shot lavauntai broadbent a few years back.

St. Paul man charged in school bus shooting was involved in fatal shooting of 16-year-old https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/08/s ... bent-2015/

Be interesting to know more about the shooter.
Ghost

Postby Kelor on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:26 pm

He was released on bail today. I'm a bit surprised.
Kelor

Postby MJY65 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm

INOR wrote:It gets worse. This is the guy who shot lavauntai broadbent a few years back.

Sounds like Minnesota may have our very own George Zimmerman.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:52 pm

MJY65 wrote:

Agreed
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:02 pm

MJY65 wrote:

We've had one before. I believe it involved a security guard and a Robbinsdale cop.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 pm

MJY65 wrote:

The only similarity to the George Zimmerman incident, is they both had a firearm. Zimmerman, was being physically attacked, at the time he shot his assailant.

This idiot, here in MN, wasn't being assaulted at the time he stupidly shot the bus driver.

While I don't know the entire circumstances of this School Bus Driver being shot, I'm guessing the shooter is in deep crap.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby MJY65 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am

BigDog58 wrote:
MJY65 wrote:

The only similarity to the George Zimmerman incident, is they both had a firearm. Zimmerman, was being physically attacked, at the time he shot his assailant.

This idiot, here in MN, wasn't being assaulted at the time he stupidly shot the bus driver.

While I don't know the entire circumstances of this School Bus Driver being shot, I'm guessing the shooter is in deep crap.

I wasn't comparing the the bus shooting to the Zimmerman/Martin shooting, but rather the fact that both of these individuals seem to have a knack for finding trouble. Zimmerman has been in the news several times for various incidents since his acquittal and this guy is on his second "self defense" shooting in a few years. Under the circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if the prosecutors take another look at the first case.
MJY65

Postby andrewP on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:30 am

BigDog58 wrote:This idiot, here in MN, wasn't being assaulted at the time he stupidly shot the bus driver.

It will be interesting to see what sort of justification he attempts to use in calling it self defense. On the face of it, without any detail available, it seems likely to be a tough sell.
andrewP

PreviousNext

Return to In The News