Police say school bus driver shot on I-35W after crash

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Police say school bus driver shot on I-35W after crash

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 am

I only watched the video once, but thought at one point when the bus started to pull out and away from the shooter, the bumper clips him slightly and at slow speed. I guess that is his angle. Bus leaving the scene of the accident and hitting him indicating that he could be in danger of being run over as the driver attempted to flee the scene.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby MJY65 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:47 am

^^^^^^^

That may be his angle, but I think it's a lost cause. There is no way it is "reasonable" to shoot five rounds into a school bus when a step to the side would get you out of danger.
MJY65

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:19 pm

I don't think claiming self defense is going to work out well for him.

One thing that occurred to me is whether he suffers PTSD from the first incident.

The other possibility, especially given that he is a security guard, is that he has an authoritarian personalty (disorder).
Jackpine Savage

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:I don't think claiming self defense is going to work out well for him.

One thing that occurred to me is whether he suffers PTSD from the first incident.

The other possibility, especially given that he is a security guard, is that he has an authoritarian personalty (disorder).

If you go looking for your PTSD you can keep your PTSD.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:35 pm

Looks like the guy realized self-defense wasn't going to fly and pled guilty. Seems like the right outcome.

https://kstp.com/news/man-who-short-bus ... -/5470654/

I call BS on the "bus driver was left deaf in his left ear from the incident" though. No way that is going to happen from being multiple feet from a pistol going off (and being inside a vehicle to boot). I've shot plenty of guns without ear protection in my misguided youth and I still have good hearing. No, I don't recommend it, but he's not going deaf permanently from this.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ironbear on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 pm

BigBlue wrote:I call BS on the "bus driver was left deaf in his left ear from the incident" though. No way that is going to happen from being multiple feet from a pistol going off (and being inside a vehicle to boot). I've shot plenty of guns without ear protection in my misguided youth and I still have good hearing. No, I don't recommend it, but he's not going deaf permanently from this.

Are you really directly comparing your youthful exploits to his experience?

If so, while I'll admit that I'm a bit bothered by the idea of you being on the muzzle blast end of your shooting; I'm thankful the bullet graze to your head didn't permanently affect your hearing...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Ironbear wrote:
BigBlue wrote:I call BS on the "bus driver was left deaf in his left ear from the incident" though. No way that is going to happen from being multiple feet from a pistol going off (and being inside a vehicle to boot). I've shot plenty of guns without ear protection in my misguided youth and I still have good hearing. No, I don't recommend it, but he's not going deaf permanently from this.

Are you really directly comparing your youthful exploits to his experience?

If so, while I'll admit that I'm a bit bothered by the idea of you being on the muzzle blast end of your shooting; I'm thankful the bullet graze to your head didn't permanently affect your hearing...

What did you guys say?
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 am

Ironbear wrote:Are you really directly comparing your youthful exploits to his experience?

The shot was from outside the vehicle from, what, 5-10 feet away. You're implying that would be louder than holding a pistol at arms length or shooting a rifle without ear protection?
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:03 am

BigBlue wrote:
Ironbear wrote:Are you really directly comparing your youthful exploits to his experience?

The shot was from outside the vehicle from, what, 5-10 feet away. You're implying that would be louder than holding a pistol at arms length or shooting a rifle without ear protection?

I am glad your thorough examination of him was able to determine that for the defense.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 am

What?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:00 am

Ghost wrote:What?

I can't hear you.
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:43 pm

Guessing the bullet grazing his head was the problem as opposed to noise.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ironbear on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:33 am

LarryFlew wrote:Guessing the bullet grazing his head was the problem as opposed to noise.

Are you implying that muzzle blast directed at your face followed by a bullet donking you in the head isn't analogy-equivalent to shooting without hearing protection!!! :o :angryvillagers:

Shocked! Shocked I tell you!

https://dilbert.com/strip/2019-08-14
https://dilbert.com/strip/2019-08-15
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:47 pm

Ironbear wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:Guessing the bullet grazing his head was the problem as opposed to noise.

Are you implying that muzzle blast directed at your face followed by a bullet donking you in the head isn't analogy-equivalent to shooting without hearing protection!!! :o :angryvillagers:

I suppose it does depend on how one shoots. Wasn't there a video a few years back with a .50 BMG ricocheting back from a rock down range and knocking a guys hearing protection off his head?
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ironbear wrote:

I suppose it does depend on how one shoots. Wasn't there a video a few years back with a .50 BMG ricocheting back from a rock down range and knocking a guys hearing protection off his head?

Rather from a Steel Plate attached to supports on both ides. Impact of projectile stripped copper jacket from core and steel plate on rebound threw jacket back at shooter = he was lucky to not be further injured. (Although his stretching the truth about distance and circumstances deserves the truth be told.)
OldmanFCSA

PreviousNext

Return to In The News