Police say school bus driver shot on I-35W after crash

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Police say school bus driver shot on I-35W after crash

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 am

Bearcatrp

Re: Police say school bus driver shot on I-35W after crash

Postby INOR on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:31 am

Strib is reporting that the shooter was named Kenneth Lilly, age 31, who works as a security guard.

http://www.startribune.com/school-bus-d ... 505374902/
INOR

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 am

Wow, just wow.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 am

Hard to believe that there are people that close to the edge walking among us. I guess that is one of the reasons to carry. Someone close to this guy had to suspect he had issues.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:47 am

I read about this on AR15.com, I really don't understand how people get pushed to that point.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm

These incidents only can the flames of the Red Flag movement. I get the "shall not be infringed " angle, but i don't know how you combat the mental illness issues.

All I can think of is coming up with a process that incorporates due process like application.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Citiot on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:44 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
All I can think of is coming up with a process that incorporates due process like application.

Already exists. 72-hour hold. Anything longer requires a hearing with "accused" present and represented. If after 72-hours, Dr says not crazy, you go free.

Red Flag takes just one tool away and leaves the crazy person.

Hypothetically, if we had red flag and his gun was taken way, he's still crazy and free. He could have rammed the bus. Used a chainsaw or ice auger, etc
If he was on a 72 hour hold, he'd get the help he needed.
Citiot

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Citiot wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:

Already exists. 72-hour hold. Anything longer requires a hearing with "accused" present and represented. If after 72-hours, Dr says not crazy, you go free.

Red Flag takes just one tool away and leaves the crazy person.

Hypothetically, if we had red flag and his gun was taken way, he's still crazy and free. He could have rammed the bus. Used a chainsaw or ice auger, etc
If he was on a 72 hour hold, he'd get the help he needed.

Sounds much more useful than a red flag law. Many people don’t show signs until hindsight is applied.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Soooooo, rather than acknowledging that there are already mechanisms in place, there is a push for something more? Comes back to my earlier comment about a process that reminds lawmakers of what is already on the books so redundant legislation isn't necessary. Enforcement of existing should be emphasized.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Citiot on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:16 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Soooooo, rather than acknowledging that there are already mechanisms in place, there is a push for something more? Comes back to my earlier comment about a process that reminds lawmakers of what is already on the books so redundant legislation isn't necessary. Enforcement of existing should be emphasized.

That's it. Simple.

72-hour hold for suicidal and violently deranged. (due process and high evidence standard)
Criminal Justice system. (due process and high evidence standard)
Social Nets like safe houses (immediate safety)

Red Flag -
guilty until proven innocent (takes 6 month to 2 years to get back guns with extraordinary cost {lawyers} and no guarantees
removes only the gun(s) but leaves axes, knives,gas and lighters, gas oven, rope, tall buildings, fists, feet, trucks, fertilizer and diesel fuel
penalty for lying is a misdemeanor. Don't like your neighbor? Lie and watch the Swatting. If in the unlikely event that person making the report is caught lying, small fine. Probably can be done online.

MN Gun Owners Caucus is really fighting this. OT a bit, Jason Rarick (R) won special election district 11 making MN Senate solid (R). House is another matter, DFL will ram through Red Flag and universal background check
Citiot

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:13 pm

I was surprised Raricks win wasn’t mentioned here sooner. That’s great news that we picked up a seat and especially in a Dem stronghold.
Ghost

Postby jdege on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Strib is reporting that the shooter was named Kenneth Lilly, age 31, who works as a security guard.

If he's working as a security guard, he's passed any checks that would have been required.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 pm

jdege wrote:

If he's working as a security guard, he's passed any checks that would have been required.

It may be picking at nits, but reports are he was observed to be "dressed" as a security guard.
Now for most people we could assume that would mean they were a security guard.
But then, most people don't shoot at school busses...so....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rtk on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Listening to the MPD spokesperson on the radio this morning he stated that when officers arrived the individual was taken to to the ground at gun point and arrested. Watch the video on the news, it appeared that he was just standing there when he was detained by the troopers. I find it hard to believe anything that anyone reports.....
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:24 pm

rtk wrote:Listening to the MPD spokesperson on the radio this morning he stated that when officers arrived the individual was taken to to the ground at gun point and arrested. Watch the video on the news, it appeared that he was just standing there when he was detained by the troopers. I find it hard to believe anything that anyone reports.....

Fake news?
Ghost

Next

Return to In The News