Alabama Cop 'Justified' in Killing Innocent Man

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Alabama Cop 'Justified' in Killing Innocent Man

Postby jdege on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:19 pm

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/06/alabama-cop-was-justified-in-killing-an
Alabama Cop 'Justified' in Killing Innocent Man, Says State Attorney General
The AG's report suggests Emantic Bradford was in the wrong for simply carrying a firearm
In other words, Officer 1 was justified in killing Bradford for exercising his Second Amendment right to carry a firearm. (Alabama is an open-carry state, and Bradford's father has claimed Bradford has a permit for his gun.) The report suggests that even if Officer 1 did not think Bradford was the shooter, he was right to take him down because he was carrying a weapon. The attorney general's office is operating under the assumption that citizens should not take action to protect themselves and/or others in situations like these.
jdege

Re: Alabama Cop 'Justified' in Killing Innocent Man

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Doesn’t sound right based on the info in the post
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 am

Ghost wrote:Doesn’t sound right based on the info in the post

How so?

I get they got the wrong guy but how is the report wrong?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:Doesn’t sound right based on the info in the post

How so?

I get they got the wrong guy but how is the report wrong?

I didn’t read the story just the post.

Here’s what stood out to me and it’s likely just bad writing

“Officer 1 was justified in killing Bradford for exercising his Second Amendment right to carry a firearm.”
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:02 am

Based on other stories, it sounds like shots were fired in the mall and when the officer showed, Bradford was running through the mall with a gun in his hand. The video seems to back it up.

I've heard many instructors say, that if you are a good guy with a gun, you probably don't want to have it in your hands when the law shows up in the midst of the chaos and confusion. This is a tragic example of why.

It occurs to me that this is likely to be more of a problem, as we increasingly expect law enforcement to deal with active shooter situations decisively and aggressively.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby jdege on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:05 am

The report said Officer 1 was ultimately justified in shooting Bradford because he "acted as a reasonable officer would have under the circumstances" and because he "acted in accordance with nationally-accepted standards for 'active shooter' scenarios."

But Bradford's family isn't buying it. "I'm outraged," Bradford's mother, April Pipkins, told The New York Times. "In no way was justice served," she added. Another witness, Ashlyn McMillan, told the Times that Bradford was helping get shoppers to safety in the first shooting's aftermath.

"It is outrageous and beyond comprehension that the Alabama Attorney General has concluded that it was reasonable for a trained law enforcement officer to fatally shoot an innocent civilian, one whose only action was an attempt to help protect the public and whose only 'crime' was being black," Crump said in a statement emailed to media outlets. Crump claims the footage released by Marshall's office does not tell the whole story, and he's calling for the "full, unedited video" to be "released immediately."
jdege

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:56 am

He forgot to put on his Concealed Carry badge and his Good Guy shirt. A regrettable outcome. It would be good to know if the officer gave any commands to drop the weapon before firing. Tough situation showing up at an active shooter scenario where you see a guy waiving a gun. In my mind the minimum the officer should be required to do is order compliance - drop your weapon on the ground now- something like that. Shoot on sight sounds reckless but heat of the moment the officer gets the benefit of the doubt, civilian with weapon is an unfortunate casualty. Not saying I necessarily agree, but I can see it.

EDIT to add. I really think the racial component is over played. Why is everything about race?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:11 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
EDIT to add. I really think the racial component is over played. Why is everything about race?

Because Obama made it so.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:19 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:

Thanks Obama!!!
Ghost

Postby westhope on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:23 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:

And Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson and many others.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby jdege on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:00 pm

yukonjasper wrote:He forgot to put on his Concealed Carry badge and his Good Guy shirt. A regrettable outcome. It would be good to know if the officer gave any commands to drop the weapon before firing.

From the article:

The report also cited three civilian witnesses. Two of those witnesses said they believed Bradford to be the shooter, though neither witnessed the original shooting. (They simply heard gunshots.) Both of those witnesses said they heard Officer 1 tell Bradford to drop his weapon three times before shooting him. But according to the report, "Officer 1 stated that he did not give any commands due to the imminent nature of the threat." The report said it's "unclear" whether he actually warned Bradford to put his gun on the ground or not. A third witness, meanwhile, simply "stated that she saw a police officer shoot E.J. Bradford three times."

In other words, it was a cluster.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Sad an unfortunate for sure. But I do not see how we can hold a cop liable for a shoot like this when there had been a shooting and a guy with a gun comes at him/ her and still expect to have cops. In stressful fast situations friendly fire occurs.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Sad an unfortunate for sure. But I do not see how we can hold a cop liable for a shoot like this when there had been a shooting and a guy with a gun comes at him/ her and still expect to have cops. In stressful fast situations friendly fire occurs.

I agree with you.
But it occurs to me this might just as easily been an off-duty cop, the way the story is being told.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:26 pm

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Sad an unfortunate for sure. But I do not see how we can hold a cop liable for a shoot like this when there had been a shooting and a guy with a gun comes at him/ her and still expect to have cops. In stressful fast situations friendly fire occurs.

I agree with you.
But it occurs to me this might just as easily been an off-duty cop, the way the story is being told.

Or an on duty cop in plain clothes. Or the cop could have been a permit holder stepping in. There is a risk in any situation when one decides to draw their carry gun. Not saying it is right but the reasonableness applies and it should apply to all.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I agree with you.

Or an on duty cop in plain clothes. Or the cop could have been a permit holder stepping in. There is a risk in any situation when one decides to draw their carry gun. Not saying it is right but the reasonableness applies and it should apply to all.

To me it would seem it comes down to if the officer felt he was in danger or not. I'd hope the requirement isn't just to shoot someone because they had a gun. But, I wasn't there and I don't know what exactly happened.
Ghost

Next

Return to In The News