Gun-seizure laws grow in popularity

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Gun-seizure laws grow in popularity

Postby minnesotatv on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 am

Gun-seizure laws grow in popularity since Parkland shooting

By RYAN J. FOLEY Associated Press1h ago

In the year since the deadly mass shooting at a Florida high school, more and more states have passed laws making it easier to take guns away from people who may be suicidal or bent on violence against others, and courts are issuing an unprecedented number of seizure orders across the country.

Supporters say these "red flag" laws are among the most promising tools to reduce the nearly 40,000 suicides and homicides by firearm each year in the U.S. Gun advocates, though, say such measures undermine their constitutional rights and can result in people being stripped of their weapons on false or vindictive accusations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... y-60956510
minnesotatv

Re: Gun-seizure laws grow in popularity

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 am

So what's your stance?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 am

yukonjasper wrote:So what's your stance?

Shall not be infringed. If the person is a problem do something about the person.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 am

Pass a law making suicide a crime and post signs in every home an business stating that it is a crime. Seems to have worked to reduce gang violence in Chicago so not sure why it would not work for this.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 am

I know "THE STANCE", just wondering what the OP's stance is. Just posting an article that is obvious does seem like it will generate any discussion. Preaching to the choir.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby sprigfan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Ghost wrote:

If the person is a problem do something about the person.

Like what? Maybe a mandatory psych evaluation. What if the person doesn't show? Physically brought in by the police or confiscate then? Just spit balling...
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Although outrageous and intrusive to this community, I will bet that these measures appear very "common sense" to the majority of the voting public.

These Red Flag laws will be hard to stop.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

sprigfan wrote:
Ghost wrote:

If the person is a problem do something about the person.

Like what? Maybe a mandatory psych evaluation. What if the person doesn't show? Physically brought in by the police or confiscate then? Just spit balling...

From what I’ve read here I think Minnesota has already addressed this.

My point is that if an individual is believed to be considering harming themselves or others that simply taking their firearms away is a bandaid and not solving the underlying issue.
Ghost

Postby Citiot on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 am

72-hour hold=person getting help.

Red Flag=police barging into your house, rooting through everything and tossing aside knives, axes, razors, hammers, rope, garage... until finally finding a gun. Huzzah! they shout removing the gun and zooming off in their squad cars. This leaves the troubled person alone looking at the remaining rope, prescription pills, closed garage door...
Citiot

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 am

Citiot wrote:72-hour hold=person getting help.

Red Flag=police barging into your house, rooting through everything and tossing aside knives, axes, razors, hammers, rope, garage... until finally finding a gun. Huzzah! they shout removing the gun and zooming off in their squad cars. This leaves the troubled person alone looking at the remaining rope, prescription pills, closed garage door...

Exactly
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:10 am

Ghost wrote:

Exactly

So typical guberment solution ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Exactly

So typical guberment solution ;)

I also think anyone who makes a false claim should get a 144 hour hold in return.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am

The guy who shot his wife last Friday would have been a prime candidate. The warning signs were there but no one wanted to be the one to call the police.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Ghost wrote:I also think anyone who makes a false claim should get a 144 hour hold in return.

You've gotten close to one of the most insidious aspects of the proposed MN Red Flag law; once adjudicated, one must somehow prove he is not a threat.
As I understand the intended law,
It is apparently not enough that they cannot prove you are a threat. And the level of evidence (for lack of a more correct legal term) is somewhere above a preponderance of evidence; the requirement for a civil suit, but just short of beyond a reasonable doubt.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:14 pm

xd ED wrote:
Ghost wrote:I also think anyone who makes a false claim should get a 144 hour hold in return.

You've gotten close to one of the most insidious aspects of the proposed MN Red Flag law; once adjudicated, one must somehow prove he is not a threat.
As I understand the intended law,
It is apparently not enough that they cannot prove you are a threat. And the level of evidence (for lack of a more correct legal term) is somewhere above a preponderance of evidence; the requirement for a civil suit, but just short of beyond a reasonable doubt.

Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous. Guilty until proven innocent by your attorney at the expense of your life savings.
Ghost

Next

Return to In The News