Connecticut Supreme Court OKs lawsuit against gun manufactur

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Connecticut Supreme Court OKs lawsuit against gun manufactur

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na- ... story.html

In response to Sandy Hook shooting..
Scary implications here.
Last edited by yukonjasper on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Connecticut Supreme Court OKs lawsuit against gun manufactur

Postby rtk on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:59 pm

yukonjasper wrote:https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-newtown-shooting-court-remington-20190314-story.html

I response to Sandy Hook shooting..
Scary implications here.

Yep.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 pm

I don’t see this holding through the USSC. Ideological stupidity here.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 pm

The problem is that the companies that get named have to expend resources to defend themselves until they get a US Supreme Court hearing. The goal of the left is to deplete the resources and force bankruptcy even if they know the idea is not correct, they can kill businesses with frivolous lawsuits.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:05 pm

yukonjasper wrote:The goal of the left is to deplete the resources and force bankruptcy even if they know the idea is not correct, they can kill businesses with frivolous lawsuits.

Exactly.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:31 pm

yukonjasper wrote:The problem is that the companies that get named have to expend resources to defend themselves until they get a US Supreme Court hearing. The goal of the left is to deplete the resources and force bankruptcy even if they know the idea is not correct, they can kill businesses with frivolous lawsuits.

True but it is what it is and it shows why who you vote for really matters.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:38 pm

It’s a very limited ruling.

The sale of the gun is not the issue, but rather the advertising campaign is the issue here. If they can prove that Remington/Bushmaster deliberately targeted a group that would be known to cause trouble just to sell more, they have grounds.

I’m a little torn... if this wins and passes muster, it would dramatically reduce all the advertising we are exposed to on a daily basis, not guns, but food, alcohol, movies, etc.
crbutler

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 pm

crbutler wrote:It’s a very limited ruling.

The sale of the gun is not the issue, but rather the advertising campaign is the issue here. If they can prove that Remington/Bushmaster deliberately targeted a group that would be known to cause trouble just to sell more, they have grounds.

I’m a little torn... if this wins and passes muster, it would dramatically reduce all the advertising we are exposed to on a daily basis, not guns, but food, alcohol, movies, etc.

It’s like saying they were advertising to school shooters. I believe he stole the gun.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm

My point is that whether or not the concept ultimately survives, the wheels of justice grind slowly and are greased with obscene amounts of legal fees.

There won't be bleed over into other areas because the only target here is guns and the need to make them go away. This is one of the few areas where common sense does not prevail.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:04 pm

You don’t know lawyers then.

If this passes SCOTUS muster, it opens the floodgates for all advertising being sued. That’s potentially huge money. Lawyers can’t resist it...

As much as I would like to see the ad folks get castrated, I don’t think this will pass because of that. But if it does, it’s a major impact on the media.
crbutler

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Car makers better watch their backs if this lawsuit turns into a win. With the number of idiots using vehicles to run into crowds, they could be next.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm

crbutler wrote:It’s a very limited ruling.

There is no torn here. This is akin to suing Hollywood because there movies have glamorized violence and there for influenced someone to act.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 pm

If a doctor advises someone to lose weight and that person decides to start running for excersise and let’s say they have a heart condition. That person keeled over by lake of the isles. Should the family sue the doctor?

I gauruntee Remingtons add did not tell anyone to go shoot up a school. Please define what group of people their add targeted. Mothers with special needs children?
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:57 pm

They often do.... if the doc should have evaluated them for heart disease or knew they had a likely problem and didn’t evaluate it.

It’s life in modern America.
crbutler

Return to In The News