Mass shooting at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby Grayskies on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

https://youtu.be/KW5ldz52pwQ
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Re: Mass shooting at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

Postby Grayskies on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Screenshot_20190314-231725_Chrome.jpg

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Grayskies on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Report: 30 killed, wounded in New Zealand mosque: 'Blood everywhere'
In that attack, “one Friday prayer goer returned fire with a rifle or shotgun,” the Herald wrote, and once the attackers fled, “a well known Muslim local chased the shooters and fired two shots at them as they sped off.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com

I can't seem to get a good link to this story.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Grayskies on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 am

40 killed and more than 20 seriously injured in New Zealand mass shooting targeting mosques
The New Zealand police said four people were in custody in connection with the attack and an investigation into the killings revealed a number of improvised explosive devices in vehicles that were defused. Ardern said the suspects were not on any terror watch lists

https://www.foxnews.com/world/multiple- ... ing-police

Emphasis added.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:43 am

Horrible situation
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:44 am

What is their gun control situation?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby INOR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:46 am

Sad. It’s in that confusing phase right now where there are lots of random reports out. Will need to wait to see what the actual facts are. Latest I’ve read is that it’s a single shooter. An Australian national white anti-immigrant. Posted a 74 page anti-immigrant manifesto and live-streamed the shooting. No idea what’s true or not but that’s the latest I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Grayskies on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:55 am

yukonjasper wrote:What is their gun control situation?

I don't think it will matter as he/she/they had IEDs.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:08 am

Very sad.
Holland&Holland

Postby westhope on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 am

I did a 3 week motorcycle tour in January / February 1993. Beautiful country.

At that time it was legal to own full auto long guns but handguns were almost banded. I don't know what it is today. Went to a couple gun stores just to look at their full autos for sale.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Erud on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:29 am

Heavily regulated. Hunting is a big part of their culture, so there are a fair number of firearms, but not without a lot of government hassle. Target shooting used to be big there, but it is sadly dying out - no doubt due in part to how difficult and expensive it is to own firearms. Owners have to prove legitimate use, have approved & inspected storage, and lots of other rules. There is nothing like CCW, and handguns are extremely limited. A competitive pistol shooter need to have 12 verified matches fired per year to maintain the license to own it. In general, their police don't even carry guns, though some have guns in their cars that they can go and get when authorized. I chatted with the owner of one of the gun stores down there, and he very proudly showed me the single AR-pattern rifle that he had for sale. It was set up like the California-ready AR's you occasionally see online here with the weird buttstock with no pistol grip. It was nothing special, typical of what you could currently buy here for $600 or less. Price there was $1800 NZ, which worked out to about $1400 or $1500 US. Suppressors and night vision are no problem, can just walk into a store and buy.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:39 am

Erud wrote:

Heavily regulated. Hunting is a big part of their culture, so there are a fair number of firearms, but not without a lot of government hassle. Target shooting used to be big there, but it is sadly dying out - no doubt due in part to how difficult and expensive it is to own firearms. Owners have to prove legitimate use, have approved & inspected storage, and lots of other rules. There is nothing like CCW, and handguns are extremely limited. A competitive pistol shooter need to have 12 verified matches fired per year to maintain the license to own it. In general, their police don't even carry guns, though some have guns in their cars that they can go and get when authorized. I chatted with the owner of one of the gun stores down there, and he very proudly showed me the single AR-pattern rifle that he had for sale. It was set up like the California-ready AR's you occasionally see online here with the weird buttstock with no pistol grip. It was nothing special, typical of what you could currently buy here for $600 or less. Price there was $1800 NZ, which worked out to about $1400 or $1500 US. Suppressors and night vision are no problem, can just walk into a store and buy.

Sounds very much like Scandinavian countries.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:20 am

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/03/14/report-good-guy-gun-chased-shot-new-zealand-attackers/

Report: Good Guy with Gun Chased, Shot at New Zealand Attackers

Multiple mosques were targeted during attacks in New Zealand on Friday, and an armed man reportedly fired back at the shooters in the Linwood area of Christchurch.

The New Zealand Herald reports that the local man with the gun fired on the shooters after they unleashed “multiple gunshots” on the mosque in Linwood. The armed man ran after the shooters, firing two shots at them with “a rifle or shotgun” as they undertook their escape.

Not much more at link: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/03/14/report-good-guy-gun-chased-shot-new-zealand-attackers/
Jackpine Savage

Postby hammAR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Erud wrote:

Sounds very much like Scandinavian countries.

...or Kalifornia...................
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:33 pm

They are worse. No suppressors.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News