Senate Republicans open door to gun control bills

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Senate Republicans open door to gun control bills

Postby jdege on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:25 am

http://www.fox9.com/news/senate-republicans-open-door-to-gun-control-bills-but-only-slightly
Senate Republicans open door to gun control bills – but only slightly

In my mind "only slightly" equals "too damned much".

Minnesota’s top Senate Republican is opening the door for hearings on two gun control bills, but there’s a catch.

Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka said the House would have to pass both bills first. One measure requires background checks for all gun sales, while the other would allow police to seize guns from a person whom a judge deems a threat.
jdege

Re: Senate Republicans open door to gun control bills

Postby xd ED on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:34 am

jdege wrote:http://www.fox9.com/news/senate-republicans-open-door-to-gun-control-bills-but-only-slightly

Minnesota’s top Senate Republican is opening the door for hearings on two gun control bills, but there’s a catch.

Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka said the House would have to pass both bills first. One measure requires background checks for all gun sales, while the other would allow police to seize guns from a person whom a judge deems a threat.

There were some sound and clever reasons for Gazelka's statements.

There's at least 2 good videos on the MNCOC Facebook page. ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:52 am

jdege wrote:http://www.fox9.com/news/senate-republicans-open-door-to-gun-control-bills-but-only-slightly

Chess play.

We have two videos from Rob Doar, our political director, on our Facebook page at http://facebook.com/gunownersmn - but here's a great video from Senator Matthews explaining what's going on....

https://www.facebook.com/SenAndrewMathe ... 7443806375
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:57 am

One quibble/question. What's stopping them from just hearing some pro-gun bills?
Jackpine Savage

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:One quibble/question. What's stopping them from just hearing some pro-gun bills?

Nothing.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:47 am

Something tells me a watered down version will make it to our worthless governor’s desk.
Bearcatrp

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Something tells me a watered down version will make it to our worthless governor’s desk.

NOT
GONNA
HAPPEN
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:03 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Jackpine Savage wrote:One quibble/question. What's stopping them from just hearing some pro-gun bills?

Nothing.

Sometimes a good defense is a vigorous offense. Why can't we tie up the Left with Pro-2A legislation to keep them back on their on their heels.

With Cornish gone in disgrace, who are our Champions?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Something tells me a watered down version will make it to our worthless governor’s desk.

Then you have not been paying attention. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:02 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

Nothing.

Sometimes a good defense is a vigorous offense. Why can't we tie up the Left with Pro-2A legislation to keep them back on their on their heels.

+1

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that they are afraid of the media.
Jackpine Savage

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Just speculation on my part, but maybe it’s an issue of budgeting political capital.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:11 pm

xd ED wrote:

NOT
GONNA
HAPPEN

There will not be any gun bills on the Governor's desk.
b
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:13 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

Nothing.

In the House, where the DFL has control, the DFL gets to decide what bills get called up for a hearing.

Therefore no pro-gun bills will have hearings.

Our allies have introduced every pro-gun bill one would ever want in the House: Constitutional Carry, Stand your Ground, a RKBA Amendment for the MN State Constitution, and more -- see http://gunowners.mn/tracker for more.

The same applies to the Senate, but there the GOP has control. To date, the Senate has not heard any anti-gun bills - or any pro-gun bills.

Either way, the DFL calls the shots in the House - we can't keep them tied up with pro-gun legislation as they can simply ignore it - like they've done all session.

Now, what we can do, is when these bills come to the floor, is try and amend the hell out of them -- but again, the DFL has the majority and should be able to swat all of that away.

But do they actually have the votes? We'll see.

All that said, even if the Senate has hearings, the GOP Is not going to pass gun control.

b
bstrawse

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:43 pm

xd ED wrote:Just speculation on my part, but maybe it’s an issue of budgeting political capital.

I hope they also take into consideration the political capital they may be losing, by doing nothing.
Jackpine Savage

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
xd ED wrote:Just speculation on my part, but maybe it’s an issue of budgeting political capital.

I hope they also take into consideration the political capital they may be losing, by doing nothing.

Who is the 'they' you refer to?
What strategery would you employ to get a pro gun bill passed in the state house of rep?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to In The News