The Smart Gun Doesn’t Exist for the Dumbest Reasons

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:12 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-04-15/the-smart-gun-doesn-t-exist-because-of-new-jersey-and-the-nra
Smith & Wesson still feels the wound it suffered two decades ago when it decided to invent smart guns.

The idea was to invest heavily in the development of personalized weapons that could be fired only by a single person: the gun’s owner. This was considered a nearly science-fictional proposition in the late 1990s, years before the world was filled with smartphones and finger sensors. But consumer backlash against the project drove the gunmaker to the verge of ruin, and Smith & Wesson recently told shareholders that the corporate bleeding touched off by this long-ago episode has never fully stopped. “Sales still suffer from this misstep,” the company said in a February filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The idea was to invest heavily in the development of personalized weapons that could be fired only by a single person: the gun’s owner. This was considered a nearly science-fictional proposition in the late 1990s, years before the world was filled with smartphones and finger sensors. But consumer backlash against the project drove the gunmaker to the verge of ruin, and Smith & Wesson recently told shareholders that the corporate bleeding touched off by this long-ago episode has never fully stopped. “Sales still suffer from this misstep,” the company said in a February filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The ordeal also didn’t lead to technical breakthroughs, and Smith & Wesson never brought a smart gun to market. Nor has Sturm, Ruger & Co., Remington, Colt, Winchester, Mossberg, or Glock. It’s not clear that any other major gunmaker has seriously tried.

No one involved can quite agree on who’s to blame for the standstill. Gun manufacturers fault difficult-to-navigate technology. Investors and entrepreneurs are sure that restrictive legislation has created a dead end. Politicians blame each other.

Nobody blames the free market. Nearly half of gun owners in the U.S. would consider buying a smart gun, according to a Johns Hopkins University study. (Michael R. Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP, is a donor to groups that support gun control.) The promise of guns that can be used only by one person is that there will be fewer fired by accident or by someone who shouldn’t have access to a gun, and fewer sold on the black market.

This is the story of why the multibillion-dollar American gun industry hasn’t yet managed to make guns any smarter.

First, what S&W did, twenty years ago, was far more than to experiment with smart guns.

Second, there is only one reason that gun owners are vehemently opposed to smart gun research - the knowledge that as soon as one exists on the market there are jurisdictions that will outlaw the possession of anything else. New Jersey already has a law imposing such a requirement, to take effect the years after they appear on the market.

Repeal that law and provide an absolute guarantee that no jurisdiction will ever pass such a law at anytime in the future, and we'll be open to letting smart guns compete in the marketplace.
jdege

Re: The Smart Gun Doesn’t Exist for the Dumbest Reasons

Postby Grayskies on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Smart gun tech was always a stupid idea, its one more thing that can go wrong when lives are at risk.

And there are times when you want others to be able to fire your gun.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm

I don’t think that all the blame lies with their smart gun dreams. Should have kept making the dumb python without ever changing anything.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:58 am

Ghost wrote:I don’t think that all the blame lies with their smart gun dreams. Should have kept making the dumb python without ever changing anything.

The S&W Python??
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am

BigBlue wrote:
Ghost wrote:I don’t think that all the blame lies with their smart gun dreams. Should have kept making the dumb python without ever changing anything.

The S&W Python??

Oh, I want one! The look of a python with the internals of a smith?
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 am

Grayskies wrote:Smart gun tech was always a stupid idea, its one more thing that can go wrong when lives are at risk.

And there are times when you want others to be able to fire your gun.

That's a reason not to buy one, not a reason to keep them off the market.

There are a lot of things available for sale I'd never dream of buying.

I don't object to smart guns being available for sale to those who want one.

I object to smart guns being available for sale because one they exist, the gun banners will mandate them.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 am

BigBlue wrote:

The S&W Python??

Oh ****, no idea what I was thinking. Oops, I know the python is a Colt.
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 am

jdege wrote:I object to smart guns being available for sale because one they exist, the gun banners will mandate them.

I agree, I also believe there is no way to make one give current and foreseeable tech.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:37 am

Grayskies wrote:
jdege wrote:I object to smart guns being available for sale because one they exist, the gun banners will mandate them.

I agree, I also believe there is no way to make one give current and foreseeable tech.

Not to mention potential liability.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Doesn't Kalifornia require new handguns to ID stamp casings, and since no gun on the market can no new models are allowed on their register?
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 pm

I'll buy a smart gun if I can get it full auto with out a tax stamp.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News