Second Amendment Protection Act

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Second Amendment Protection Act

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:59 am

"Second Amendment Protection Act Seeks to Safeguard Medical Marijuana Users"

Alexander Mooney, a Republican Congressmen from Virginia’s 2nd district, introduced the Second Amendment Protection Act earlier this month. The bill, H.R.2071, seeks to create an exemption for users of medical marijuana, that would currently be restricted from owning and/or purchasing a firearm. Many readers may remember that in January of 2017, the ATF updated form 4473 to include the following language:

“The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside”

I seem to remember a discussion about this, but couldn't locate that discussion, so I thought I'd share it here, for those that this might be affected.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/04/23/second-amendment-protection-act-seeks-safeguard-medical-marijuana-users/
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Second Amendment Protection Act

Postby Hmac on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:13 am

Gonna be tough sledding in the US Senate, and Trump signing such a bill is likely going to be a hard stop. My guess is that even the Democrats that love marijuana hate guns so much that they won't vote for anything that makes it easier to buy them.
Hmac

Re: Second Amendment Protection Act

Postby andrewP on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 pm

I really doubt this will gain any traction until such time as marijuana is federally legal, at which point the 4473 will basically have to change. That said, I'd be quite shocked if there weren't hundreds of thousands of 4473s where people have lied on that question even from before Colorado led the charge on marijuana legalization at the state level.
andrewP

Return to In The News