Defense rests in trial of Minneapolis officer Noor

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Defense rests in trial of Minneapolis officer Noor

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote: …….$2 Million to fight gun violence! .......What is the logic here?

Sadly, it's for lining the pockets of their political allies.

And I’m sure their own also
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 am

Ghost wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote: …….$2 Million to fight gun violence! .......What is the logic here?

Sadly, it's for lining the pockets of their political allies.

And I’m sure their own also

What goes around, comes around.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby crbutler on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:01 pm

The irony is that Betsy Hodges is likely to work for a group that gets this money, so indirectly her incompetence will result in her rice bowl being filled.

Penalties should go only to the person’s harmed, and then they should have to write a check to the lawyers and whoever else they feel like- with full income tax paid.
crbutler

Postby rtk on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:10 pm

crbutler wrote:The irony is that Betsy Hodges is likely to work for a group that gets this money, so indirectly her incompetence will result in her rice bowl being filled.

Penalties should go only to the person’s harmed, and then they should have to write a check to the lawyers and whoever else they feel like- with full income tax paid.

+1
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby smurfman on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:51 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:So $20 Million. $6M for the attorneys so at least they will not starve. and...... wait for it …….$2 Million to fight gun violence!

So the tax payers get to pay to get their guns taken away because the person who used a gun was of the privileged few who should be able to have a gun. What is the logic here? If we take guns away from law abiding Minnesotan's then poorly trained cops will feel less threatened on the streets?

Its an ingenious way to fund a program from a pot of insurance money that has very strict rules on how it can be used. No need to raise taxes, yet, and the optics of it look and sound good. Expect this type of "donation" to happen more often with these types of funds.
smurfman

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:34 am

smurfman wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:So $20 Million. $6M for the attorneys so at least they will not starve. and...... wait for it …….$2 Million to fight gun violence!

So the tax payers get to pay to get their guns taken away because the person who used a gun was of the privileged few who should be able to have a gun. What is the logic here? If we take guns away from law abiding Minnesotan's then poorly trained cops will feel less threatened on the streets?

Its an ingenious way to fund a program from a pot of insurance money that has very strict rules on how it can be used. No need to raise taxes, yet, and the optics of it look and sound good. Expect this type of "donation" to happen more often with these types of funds.

I don’t believe they have insurance
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:58 am

smurfman wrote:Its an ingenious way to fund a program from a pot of insurance money that has very strict rules on how it can be used. No need to raise taxes, yet, and the optics of it look and sound good. Expect this type of "donation" to happen more often with these types of funds.

This happened a lot under the Obama administration. Federal regulators would shake down corporations with the threat of large fines for non-compliance. Fines were then reduced to donations to liberal NGO's.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 am

smurfman wrote:

No insurance. It is called taxpayer money.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:43 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
smurfman wrote:Its an ingenious way to fund a program from a pot of insurance money that has very strict rules on how it can be used. No need to raise taxes, yet, and the optics of it look and sound good. Expect this type of "donation" to happen more often with these types of funds.

This happened a lot under the Obama administration. Federal regulators would shake down corporations with the threat of large fines for non-compliance. Fines were then reduced to donations to liberal NGO's.

That sounds horrible but I'd need some evidence to support that statement.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:24 am

yukonjasper wrote:That sounds horrible but I'd need some evidence to support that statement.

The best example I can find on short notice.
8/27/2014
Extortion: Radical Democrat activist groups stand to collect millions from Attorney General Eric Holder's record $17 billion deal to settle alleged mortgage abuse charges against Bank of America.

Buried in the fine print of the deal, which includes $7 billion in soft-dollar consumer relief, are a raft of political payoffs to Obama constituency groups. In effect, the government has ordered the nation's largest bank to create a massive slush fund for Democrat special interests.
https://www.investors.com/holders-bank-of-america-settlement-includes-payoffs-to-democrat-groups/#ixzz3wJzMbEUj

And an article about the Obama Justice Dept. getting slapped down.
Should individuals be allowed to turn criminal fines into donations for their favorite charities?

U.S. District Judge Janet Arterton recently faced this question and correctly said no. But scholars have raised the question before in response to prosecutors’ use of settlement funds reached in criminal prosecutions of major companies—some totaling billions of dollars—as checks to their favored organizations instead of payments into the general treasury.
https://www.dailysignal.com/2016/01/19/court-ruling-undermines-justice-departments-use-of-fines-as-slush-funds/
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby rtk on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:49 am

Ghost wrote:
smurfman wrote:

I don’t believe they have insurance

League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust. Yes, there is insurance but I don’t know how far the coverage goes.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:24 am

I thought I had herd that Mpls was not part of that pool.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:33 am

Sorcerer wrote:I thought I had herd that Mpls was not part of that pool.

That is what I heard as well. It was reported that there was not coverage for this. The news stated what fund it was coming from.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:That sounds horrible but I'd need some evidence to support that statement.

The best example I can find on short notice.
8/27/2014
Extortion: Radical Democrat activist groups stand to collect millions from Attorney General Eric Holder's record $17 billion deal to settle alleged mortgage abuse charges against Bank of America.

Buried in the fine print of the deal, which includes $7 billion in soft-dollar consumer relief, are a raft of political payoffs to Obama constituency groups. In effect, the government has ordered the nation's largest bank to create a massive slush fund for Democrat special interests.
https://www.investors.com/holders-bank-of-america-settlement-includes-payoffs-to-democrat-groups/#ixzz3wJzMbEUj

And an article about the Obama Justice Dept. getting slapped down.
Should individuals be allowed to turn criminal fines into donations for their favorite charities?

U.S. District Judge Janet Arterton recently faced this question and correctly said no. But scholars have raised the question before in response to prosecutors’ use of settlement funds reached in criminal prosecutions of major companies—some totaling billions of dollars—as checks to their favored organizations instead of payments into the general treasury.
https://www.dailysignal.com/2016/01/19/court-ruling-undermines-justice-departments-use-of-fines-as-slush-funds/

Holey Swamp Rat Batman! That is insidious. I guess I should not be surprised, the corruption grows thebigger the money involved is .
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Insidious = politicians

Synonyms: treacherous, crafty
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to In The News