$20 million in death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

$20 million in death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond

Postby brad3579 on Sat May 04, 2019 7:23 am

With Mpls having no outside insurance that puts the cost at about $50 per resident on their taxes.
With about 25% being non working age the cost goes to about $66 per adult.
With only about 70% being employed it puts the cost at about $95 per working adult.
With who only knows how many working adults actually pay taxes the cost is probably closer to $200 or $300 per tax paying working adult.
Yikes.
http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-agrees-to-pay-20-million-in-fatal-police-shooting-of-justine-ruszczyk-damond/509438812/
brad3579

Re: $20 million in death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond

Postby Hmac on Sat May 04, 2019 7:35 am

It's a lot of money to spend for the sole purpose of feeling good about your commitment to diversity. For a little while, at least.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 am

I read on another forum that part of the criteria of the settlement was they had to "donate" 2 million towards anti-gun violence.

Found it:

The settlement calls for the Ruszczyks to donate $US2m to a Minneapolis foundation aimed at addressing gun violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/04/justine-damonds-family-awarded-record-us20m-settlement-from-minneapolis

Apparently gun violence by police is a problem.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sat May 04, 2019 8:03 am

They definitely have a PR problem on their hands. I thought the amount donated was low and seemed pretty much a token amount. I'm not a fan of profiting from tragedy.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat May 04, 2019 8:40 am

Ghost wrote:I read on another forum that part of the criteria of the settlement was they had to "donate" 2 million towards anti-gun violence.

Found it:

The settlement calls for the Ruszczyks to donate $US2m to a Minneapolis foundation aimed at addressing gun violence.

Isn't that special. Minneapolis residents are forced to give their money to anti gunners.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Ghost on Sat May 04, 2019 9:03 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:
Ghost wrote:I read on another forum that part of the criteria of the settlement was they had to "donate" 2 million towards anti-gun violence.

Found it:

Isn't that special. Minneapolis residents are forced to give their money to anti gunners.

Exactly
Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Sat May 04, 2019 9:25 am

HOW did they possibly relate that to gun violence unless they plan on using that 2 million to disarm police officers? Maybe they should have made them give the 2 mil to police for body cams that are on all the time. At least that would have cost less for the court case when it happens again.

I AM a fan of profiting from government caused tragedy when it takes someones life. Whatever number they come up with it can't be enough.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat May 04, 2019 9:35 am

LarryFlew wrote:HOW did they possibly relate that to gun violence unless they plan on using that 2 million to disarm police officers? Maybe they should have made them give the 2 mil to police for body cams that are on all the time. At least that would have cost less for the court case when it happens again.

I AM a fan of profiting from government caused tragedy when it takes someones life. Whatever number they come up with it can't be enough.

It doesn't have to make sense. It's just a way for the Left to finance their causes.

The Obama Injustice Dept had it down to a science: https://www.wsj.com/articles/justices-liberal-slush-fund-1449188273
Jackpine Savage

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 pm

brad3579 wrote:With Mpls having no outside insurance that puts the cost at about $50 per resident on their taxes.
With only about 70% being employed it puts the cost at about $95 per working adult.
With who only knows how many working adults actually pay taxes the cost is probably closer to $200 or $300 per tax paying working adult.
Yikes.
http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-agrees-to-pay-20-million-in-fatal-police-shooting-of-justine-ruszczyk-damond/509438812/

It would be property tax. Not income tax.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Sat May 04, 2019 2:59 pm

They need to change the law so suing bureaucrats and politicians for doing stupid things is possible.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Grayskies wrote:They need to change the law so suing bureaucrats and politicians for doing stupid things is possible.

Not really practical.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Sat May 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Grayskies wrote:They need to change the law so suing bureaucrats and politicians for doing stupid things is possible.

Not really practical.

Why?

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Sat May 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Not really practical.

Why?

What do they do that's not stupid?
Ghost

Postby brad3579 on Sat May 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
brad3579 wrote:With Mpls having no outside insurance that puts the cost at about $50 per resident on their taxes.
Yikes.

Actually, I am pretty sure none of the funds come from personal or property taxes but I thought it would be fun to show what it could cost a tax paying person if they did it that way. Being as they are self insured I would think that they probably draw a fair amount from their general fund.
brad3579

Postby Grayskies on Sun May 05, 2019 4:04 am

brad3579 wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
Yikes.

Actually, I am pretty sure none of the funds come from personal or property taxes but I thought it would be fun to show what it could cost a tax paying person if they did it that way. Being as they are self insured I would think that they probably draw a fair amount from their general fund.

And they get the money in the general fund from?

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Next

Return to In The News