Gun control proposals hit obstacle in conference committee

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Gun control proposals hit obstacle in conference committee

Postby jdege on Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 am

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-gun-control-proposals-crippled-in-committee/509929472/
Minnesota gun control proposals hit obstacle in conference committee
Proposals fail to advance in surprise conference vote on public safety spending.
Two gun-control measures deemed a top priority by Minnesota DFL lawmakers this session were dealt an all-but-fatal blow Tuesday after they failed to advance on a party-line vote.

Coming after three hours of debate, the result appeared to stymie efforts by gun-control advocates to expand criminal-background checks to private gun sales and create a “red flag” law that would allow authorities to temporarily confiscate firearms from people considered a threat to themselves or others.

The gun proposals, similar to federal proposals that have divided Congress, came to a head when Sen. Warren Limmer, R-Maple Grove, called for a vote on whether to add them to a broader spending bill being assembled by members from both the House and Senate.

The gambit paid off for Limmer, who earlier expressed deep reservations about both policy proposals: Members of the joint conference committee on the public safety budget split 5-5 along party lines and failed to add either measure to the spending bill.
jdege

Re: Gun control proposals hit obstacle in conference committee

Postby yukonjasper on Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Although good news, I'll celebrate when the documents are signed and they have adjourned for the year.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Although good news, I'll celebrate when the documents are signed and they have adjourned for the year.

Agreed
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Although good news, I'll celebrate when the documents are signed and they have adjourned for the year.

It'll be over at 11:59 PM on Monday night. Coming soon!

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Citiot on Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm

bstrawse wrote:

b

Not really ever "over." Support Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus (NOT Minnesota Gun Rights) for the "long game."

Not much excess money? Volunteer for a phone bank next election and other things. Watch for MNGOC Actions. Call, email , tweet your elected officials.
Citiot

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 am

Citiot wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

Not really ever "over." Support Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus (NOT Minnesota Gun Rights) for the "long game."

You realize I'm the Chairman of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, right? :D

But you're right, it's never really ever over.

Thanks for your support & advocacy!
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Lumpy on Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 pm

The online site says "hit obstacle" but I thought the actual printed newspapers said "stymied", which struck me as a little pro-control.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 pm

Lumpy wrote:The online site says "hit obstacle" but I thought the actual printed newspapers said "stymied", which struck me as a little pro-control.

Mpr reported that 2 bills that would have reduced gun violence where blocked by republicans.

Guess when you get public funding you can report lies and be political.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 pm

No I did not contribute to their member drive.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat May 18, 2019 5:10 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Lumpy wrote:The online site says "hit obstacle" but I thought the actual printed newspapers said "stymied", which struck me as a little pro-control.

Mpr reported that 2 bills that would have reduced gun violence where blocked by republicans.

Guess when you get public funding you can report lies and be political.

Fake News
Ghost

Return to In The News