Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 31, 2019 7:21 pm

12 dead, 6 injured in shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center
Alissa Skelton, Stacy Parker, and Mike Connors
Staff writer wrote:
VIRGINIA BEACH
A longtime city employee shot and killed 11 people and injured six others after opening fire late Friday afternoon in the public works building where he worked, police said. The man was then killed by officers after firing at them.

One officer was shot during the exchange but was saved by his bulletproof vest, Police Chief James Cervera said during a news conference a couple of hours after the incident.

Henley said she's never seen a situation like this before at the Municipal Center, adding that security has recently been "beefed up" in the City Hall building as a result of shooting incidents across the nation, but that some of the other municipal buildings do not take the same security measures.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government ... 25d5e.html

The story is worth reading tho not a lot of info to be had.

As always Thoughts and Prayers to the victims, friends and families.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
User avatar
Grayskies
 
Posts: 3565 [View]
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 am
Location: North Central MN

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Ghost on Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 pm

Does it mention the drugs he was on or the other signs that he had mental issues prior to the shooting?
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7357 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 31, 2019 9:14 pm

Ryan Saavedra@RealSaavedra wrote:BREAKING: Virginia Beach Police Chief James Cervera states that the attacker in the Virginia Beach tragedy used a handgun and reloaded multiple times.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status ... 6329792513

No Evil Black Rifle, doesn't fit the Left's narrative, probably will be buried by the Fake News...
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
User avatar
Grayskies
 
Posts: 3565 [View]
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 am
Location: North Central MN

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby bstrawse on Fri May 31, 2019 9:34 pm

Chief: “the shooter was armed with a gun with an attached sound suppressor and extended magazines, enabling him to fire many rounds and engage four police officers in what the chief described as a “long-term gun battle” down building hallways.”
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
User avatar
bstrawse
 
Posts: 3734 [View]
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:45 am
Location: Roseville, MN

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Chief also said they would mention the suspects name only once, there after to be referred to as "the suspect". :)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
User avatar
Grayskies
 
Posts: 3565 [View]
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 am
Location: North Central MN

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby LarryFlew on Fri May 31, 2019 11:13 pm

There goes any hope on suppressors. From the Dims that's all they need is one time use.
User avatar
LarryFlew
 
Posts: 4352 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Young America - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:18 am

bstrawse wrote:Chief: “the shooter was armed with a gun with an attached sound suppressor and extended magazines, enabling him to fire many rounds and engage four police officers in what the chief described as a “long-term gun battle” down building hallways.”

They also said it was a .45 cal handgun and the police located him via the sound of gun fire. A suppressed .45 is pretty quiet since it’s a subsonic handgun round.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7357 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby bstrawse on Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:47 am

LarryFlew wrote:There goes any hope on suppressors. From the Dims that's all they need is one time use.


That ship sailed when the dems took back the US House last November.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
User avatar
bstrawse
 
Posts: 3734 [View]
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:45 am
Location: Roseville, MN

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Lumpy on Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:35 am

Massacre committed with handgun = we MUST ban assault weapons! :roll:
User avatar
Lumpy
 
Posts: 1344 [View]
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 pm
Location: North of Lowry, West of Penn

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:47 pm

"He shot a woman walking out to go home and then used his access badge to begin shooting indiscriminately at people in offices, according to the official. He fired shots on all three floors as workers scrambled for cover."

Apparently we will need to ban access badges although I don't know how many rounds they hold.

Already Dimocrat rhetoric on why we should not own "silencers"
User avatar
LarryFlew
 
Posts: 4352 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Young America - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Grayskies on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Virginia Beach gunman gave resignation before shooting, was in ‘good standing,’ authorities say
Stephen Sorace at Fox News wrote:The Virginia Beach shooter who killed 12 people and wounded several others in a municipal complex on Friday had submitted his resignation earlier that morning, officials said Sunday.

The gunman, identified as 40-year-old [Redacted], was an engineer with the city's public utilities department for 15 years. In a news conference Sunday morning, Virginia Beach City Manager Dave Hansen described the man’s work performance as “satisfactory” with no ongoing issues of discipline.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-bea ... d-standing

I wonder what happened in this guy's life?

Note: I redacted the suspects name.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
User avatar
Grayskies
 
Posts: 3565 [View]
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 am
Location: North Central MN

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby xd ED on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Grayskies wrote:Virginia Beach gunman gave resignation before shooting, was in ‘good standing,’ authorities say
Stephen Sorace at Fox News wrote:The Virginia Beach shooter who killed 12 people and wounded several others in a municipal complex on Friday had submitted his resignation earlier that morning, officials said Sunday.

The gunman, identified as 40-year-old [Redacted], was an engineer with the city's public utilities department for 15 years. In a news conference Sunday morning, Virginia Beach City Manager Dave Hansen described the man’s work performance as “satisfactory” with no ongoing issues of discipline.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-bea ... d-standing

I wonder what happened in this guy's life?

Note: I redacted the suspects name.



You think the city manager would ever say something like: '...we knew this guy was a whack job from way back...'?
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 7453 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Ghost on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:22 pm

xd ED wrote:
Grayskies wrote:Virginia Beach gunman gave resignation before shooting, was in ‘good standing,’ authorities say
Stephen Sorace at Fox News wrote:The Virginia Beach shooter who killed 12 people and wounded several others in a municipal complex on Friday had submitted his resignation earlier that morning, officials said Sunday.

The gunman, identified as 40-year-old [Redacted], was an engineer with the city's public utilities department for 15 years. In a news conference Sunday morning, Virginia Beach City Manager Dave Hansen described the man’s work performance as “satisfactory” with no ongoing issues of discipline.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-bea ... d-standing

I wonder what happened in this guy's life?

Note: I redacted the suspects name.



You think the city manager would ever say something like: '...we knew this guy was a whack job from way back...'?

Only if they wanted to be named specifically in a multi-million dollar civil suit
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7357 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Ghost on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:28 pm

https://nypost.com/2019/06/02/dewayne-craddock-had-been-getting-violent-with-co-workers-before-virginia-beach-shooting-report/

The gunman who shot dead 12 people at a Virginia Beach municipal building had been facing disciplinary action for a violent fight at work, according to a report.

“Murderer” 40, was still employed as an engineer with the Department of Public Utilities when he went on his shooting rampage Friday, killing 12 and injuring several others, including a cop.

But he recently started showing serious behavioral problems and got into physical “scuffles” with other city workers, a source told The New York Times.

The source told the paper that the troubles had escalated in the week leading up to the mass shooting — and “Murderer” was involved in what it called “a violent altercation on city grounds.”

“Murderer” reportedly knew he was facing disciplinary action for the fight when he went into the municipal building with two .45-caliber handguns, at least one of which was equipped with a sound suppressor — and both of which were purchased legally.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7357 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: Shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Postby Ghost on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:29 pm

Image
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7357 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Next

Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron