WTH does Minneapolis think they are doing?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

WTH does Minneapolis think they are doing?

Postby BigBlue on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 am

Not sure how Minneapolis could be 'citing' this restaurant to have them "[plan] how management will stop people from bringing in guns". The city can't require private businesses to ban guns. This seems like the tip of a looming, crappy iceberg. And, yes, I know that Minneapolis tries to do many things related to guns that they aren't allowed to do. I'm just saying there should be pushback on this.

City of Minneapolis cites Crave for violations after shooting

The city sent a letter to Crave owner Keyvan Talebi on Monday citing two code violations related to the early Saturday shooting, including failing to provide adequate security to prevent criminal activity. The letter asks Talebi to provide an updated security plan for staff training, how management will stop people from bringing in guns and how staff can work better with police in case of an emergency. The plan must be submitted to the downtown police precinct by July 23.
BigBlue

Re: WTH does Minneapolis think they are doing?

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 am

Kind of an off topic question, is it common for a restaurant downtown to be open at 2:30am?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 am

I doubt they are not posted.
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I doubt they are not posted.

They weren't posted when I ate there on Pride weekend.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:24 am

BigBlue wrote:Not sure how Minneapolis could be 'citing' this restaurant to have them "[plan] how management will stop people from bringing in guns". The city can't require private businesses to ban guns. This seems like the tip of a looming, crappy iceberg. And, yes, I know that Minneapolis tries to do many things related to guns that they aren't allowed to do. I'm just saying there should be pushback on this.

City of Minneapolis cites Crave for violations after shooting

The city sent a letter to Crave owner Keyvan Talebi on Monday citing two code violations related to the early Saturday shooting, including failing to provide adequate security to prevent criminal activity. The letter asks Talebi to provide an updated security plan for staff training, how management will stop people from bringing in guns and how staff can work better with police in case of an emergency. The plan must be submitted to the downtown police precinct by July 23.

The MN Gun Owners Caucus filed a MN Government Data Practices Act Request for a copy of this letter last night so we could dig further into this issue. The city does have security requirements for restaurants that serve alcohol to be open past a certain time at night - but we don't believe they have any legal standing to require them to prohibit firearms or take steps to do so.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby BigBlue on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Kind of an off topic question, is it common for a restaurant downtown to be open at 2:30am?

The article said 2:00am closing time. So they were closing up and the scuffle happened right as people were leaving, apparently.
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 am

bstrawse wrote:The MN Gun Owners Caucus filed a MN Government Data Practices Act Request for a copy of this letter last night so we could dig further into this issue. The city does have security requirements for restaurants that serve alcohol to be open past a certain time at night - but we don't believe they have any legal standing to require them to prohibit firearms or take steps to do so.

That's great, Bryan. I'd love to follow this topic as it progresses...
BigBlue

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:42 am

BigBlue wrote:
bstrawse wrote:The MN Gun Owners Caucus filed a MN Government Data Practices Act Request for a copy of this letter last night so we could dig further into this issue. The city does have security requirements for restaurants that serve alcohol to be open past a certain time at night - but we don't believe they have any legal standing to require them to prohibit firearms or take steps to do so.

We'll definitely provide updates here and elsewhere.

Certainly, Crave and its owners can post their restaurant if they choose to do so - but the City is not legally able to FORCE them to do so. So this will be interesting to see what's actually in the letter.

b
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:11 pm

bstrawse wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

We'll definitely provide updates here and elsewhere.

Certainly, Crave and its owners can post their restaurant if they choose to do so - but the City is not legally able to FORCE them to do so. So this will be interesting to see what's actually in the letter.

b

That will be very interesting indeed.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Minneapolis is doing what they do best.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Yup.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Ghost wrote:Minneapolis is doing what they do best.

Infringement is their specialty.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Are liquor licence conditions set by state law or local ordinance?
Lumpy

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Lumpy wrote:Are liquor licence conditions set by state law or local ordinance?

Both.
bstrawse

Return to In The News