Trump to NRA boss: Universal background checks are dead

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Trump to NRA boss: Universal background checks are dead

Postby BigBlue on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:02 am

jdege wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Trump has my vote.

I don't like Trump.
He's an ass.
The only good thing I thought about him before the election was that he was pissing off the right people.
Since?
He's been doing what he said he'd do, and most importantly, he's appointing judges that understand the proper role of the judiciary.
I still don't like him.
But politics isn't about personality.

Indeed, his actions aren't what I'd prefer. But along the lines of what you said, being effective as a politician can still be valued while not liking the individual. Trump does far more to preserve my view of what America should be than any dem would do so he is a better choice. Not a great choice, but a better one.

Honestly, his SC appointments were the win that made all the rest of him tolerable. Getting justices in there that can think for themselves and make rational decisions vs. ones that just push the liberal agenda 100% is vital to the future of the country.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 pm

BigBlue wrote:
jdege wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Trump has my vote.

I don't like Trump.
He's an ass.
The only good thing I thought about him before the election was that he was pissing off the right people.
Since?
He's been doing what he said he'd do, and most importantly, he's appointing judges that understand the proper role of the judiciary.
I still don't like him.
But politics isn't about personality.

Indeed, his actions aren't what I'd prefer. But along the lines of what you said, being effective as a politician can still be valued while not liking the individual. Trump does far more to preserve my view of what America should be than any dem would do so he is a better choice. Not a great choice, but a better one.

Honestly, his SC appointments were the win that made all the rest of him tolerable. Getting justices in there that can think for themselves and make rational decisions vs. ones that just push the liberal agenda 100% is vital to the future of the country.

BB

I don't mind many of his actions or tweets. But yes, the SC appointments alone are worth it.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:13 pm

I’ve been a little disappointed with his SC appointees. They have not been as originalist as I had hoped.

Trump has been a pleasant surprise in that he has tried to do what he said he would, and hasn’t really “evolved” on his positions.

He’s a disaster in that his public persona and communications are so infantile. I know he’s not dumb- if he was as dumb as he comes across, he’d have lost all his money in a week.

The rest of the complaints about him are probably more hit jobs by the MSM than anything, but how can you be sure given what his incessant twittering is like.

I agree, the results so far make him tolerable, but I’d love it if he lost the damn cell phone.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:19 pm

crbutler wrote:I’ve been a little disappointed with his SC appointees. They have not been as originalist as I had hoped.

Trump has been a pleasant surprise in that he has tried to do what he said he would, and hasn’t really “evolved” on his positions.

He’s a disaster in that his public persona and communications are so infantile. I know he’s not dumb- if he was as dumb as he comes across, he’d have lost all his money in a week.

The rest of the complaints about him are probably more hit jobs by the MSM than anything, but how can you be sure given what his incessant twittering is like.

I agree, the results so far make him tolerable, but I’d love it if he lost the damn cell phone.

I am guessing if he losses his cell he still has a computer ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:30 pm

He has enough money to buy another.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:He has enough money to buy another.

And a person to activate it for him.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:02 am

Stopping Trump from tweeting would be like trying to stop hillary from lying, ain't never gonna happen. Besides Trump's tweets can be so hilarious at times.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:13 am

I think Trump uses Twitter quite skillfully. He get's his messages out to those that support him, without any media bias, interpreting his thoughts (and skewing them). And, at the same time, some of those tweets act like one of the old spinning tops that goes out and bounces around inside the room. It makes the Left and their MSM minions go crazy over a given tweet, and then makes them look stupid, once the true message has been deciphered, by those with reasonable brains.

I love our President keeping the MSM and Dem's on the defense, and having them demonstrate their stupidity. The majority, sit back and laugh (some get angry) at the gullibility of those that are Supposed to be informing us, without bias.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 am

BigDog58 wrote:I think Trump uses Twitter quite skillfully. He get's his messages out to those that support him, without any media bias, interpreting his thoughts (and skewing them). And, at the same time, some of those tweets act like one of the old spinning tops that goes out and bounces around inside the room. It makes the Left and their MSM minions go crazy over a given tweet, and then makes them look stupid, once the true message has been deciphered, by those with reasonable brains.

I love our President keeping the MSM and Dem's on the defense, and having them demonstrate their stupidity. The majority, sit back and laugh (some get angry) at the gullibility of those that are Supposed to be informing us, without bias.

The use of Twitter and skill will never belong in the same sentence in my mind.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:18 am

crbutler wrote:I’ve been a little disappointed with his SC appointees. They have not been as originalist as I had hoped.

They may not be originalists, but at least they are not liberal stooges.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:40 am

BigBlue wrote:

They may not be originalists, but at least they are not liberal stooges.

Not sure they would have gotten appointed either ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:20 am

Trump administration seeks court rehearing on Twitter block ruling
The Trump administration on Friday asked a federal appeals court for a rehearing on its ruling last month that President Trump engaged in "viewpoint discriminating" by blocking certain Twitter followers from his account.

A three-judge panel of the 2nd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals had ruled unanimously against the president July 9, concluding “The First Amendment does not permit a public official who utilizes a social media account for all manner of official purposes to exclude persons from an otherwise‐open online dialogue because they expressed views with which the official disagrees.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... ock-ruling

Idle fingers are a tweeter's playground!
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Previous

Return to In The News