Buying a gun at Walmart? Not so easy.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Buying a gun at Walmart? Not so easy.

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 am

I went to Walmart with the intention of buying a gun last week as part of an investigation into the placement, selection, marketing, and security of firearms in Walmart's stores, and to learn more about the retailer's processes governing gun sales.

My journey to bring a gun home from Walmart turned out to be far more complicated than I expected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart ... 854pi0mXdI
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: Buying a gun at Walmart? Not so easy.

Postby Grayskies on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:51 pm

People get the idea from the left media that buying a gun is so easy, the fix is to have them try to buy one.
Last edited by Grayskies on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:15 pm

ok, so 1st off this reporter doing this story is an effing idiot who could likely not even manage to buy toilet paper. And while on the surface it seems that she gained some education about the regulations surrounding fire arm transactions she just feels it is localized to WalMart and still believes she could walk into any gun store anywhere and walk out with ARs and handguns in minutes. She is still an idiot.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:27 am

I would disagree about being an idiot. She was open minded enough to actually try instead of blindly following the anti talking points. She was also fair minded enough to write about it.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I would disagree about being an idiot. She was open minded enough to actually try instead of blindly following the anti talking points. She was also fair minded enough to write about it.

It was not a very fair minded write up. She basically focused on Walmart’s customer service issues not the regs involved in gun purchases.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I would disagree about being an idiot. She was open minded enough to actually try instead of blindly following the anti talking points. She was also fair minded enough to write about it.

It was not a very fair minded write up. She basically focused on Walmart’s customer service issues not the regs involved in gun purchases.

Perhaps not the fairest, but better than the mindless, useful idiot, blindly repeating anti talking point reporting.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:44 am

After reading the article, the impression I am left with is that this started out to be a hit piece on the ease of buying a gun at WallyWorld, and ended up being a hit piece on their somewhat bumbling customer service.

The subtext seems to be that while she could not buy from Walmart due to Walmart's policies and ineptitude, rather than Walmart simply complying with federal regs, shopping elsewhere would have sidestepped much of the process:
I had invested several hours across two days on this. If I were actually in the market for a rifle, I would have gone to a local gun shop instead after about five minutes of trying to figure out which Walmart stores sold guns.

I like to think a truly inquisitive journalist, looking to do a story on the ease of purchasing firearms, would have done some research before hand, learning the actual regulations and requirements - and in the process been prepared to spring a 'gotchya' had Walmart slipped up.
But such is modern 'journalism'.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:26 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Perhaps not the fairest, but better than the mindless, useful idiot, blindly repeating anti talking point reporting.

True
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:27 am

xd ED wrote:After reading the article, the impression I am left with is that this started out to be a hit piece on the ease of buying a gun at WallyWorld, and ended up being a hit piece on their somewhat bumbling customer service.

The subtext seems to be that while she could not buy from Walmart due to Walmart's policies and ineptitude, rather than Walmart simply complying with federal regs, shopping elsewhere would have sidestepped much of the process:
I had invested several hours across two days on this. If I were actually in the market for a rifle, I would have gone to a local gun shop instead after about five minutes of trying to figure out which Walmart stores sold guns.

I like to think a truly inquisitive journalist, looking to do a story on the ease of purchasing firearms, would have done some research before hand, learning the actual regulations and requirements - and in the process been prepared to spring a 'gotchya' had Walmart slipped up.
But such is modern 'journalism'.

That is what I took from it as well. I would have been nice if it focused less on the Walmart mess up angle and more on what Walmart has in place to ensure legal gun transactions then go to a "scary" gun store and see that they do the same.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:46 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/walmart-alas ... -end-sales

Walmart is set to end sales of handguns in Alaska and will discontinue the sale of short-barrel rifle and handgun ammunition in stores nationwide, the super chain's president and CEO announced Tuesday afternoon.

What is "short-barrel rifle ammunition"? Can we still buy .357 ammo if we use it in a carbine? Jeezuz... sometimes the stupidity is hard to grasp.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:18 pm

BigBlue wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/us/walmart-alaska-handgun-rifle-ammo-nationwide-end-sales

Walmart is set to end sales of handguns in Alaska and will discontinue the sale of short-barrel rifle and handgun ammunition in stores nationwide, the super chain's president and CEO announced Tuesday afternoon.

What is "short-barrel rifle ammunition"? Can we still buy .357 ammo if we use it in a carbine? Jeezuz... sometimes the stupidity is hard to grasp.

.300 Blackout?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
BigBlue wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/us/walmart-alaska-handgun-rifle-ammo-nationwide-end-sales

.300 Blackout?

I wondered that when I heard the story on the radio....then stumbled across this in an AP story on Twin Cities.com:

....The Bentonville, Arkansas-based discounter said Tuesday it will stop handgun ammunition as well as short-barrel rifle ammunition, such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber used in military style weapons, after it runs out of its current inventory.

It will also discontinue handgun sales in Alaska. Walmart stopped selling handguns in the mid-1990s, with the exception of Alaska. The latest move marks its complete exit from that business and allows it to focus on hunting rifles and related ammunition only.

“We have a long heritage as a company of serving responsible hunters and sportsmen and women, and we’re going to continue doing so,” according to a memo by Walmart’s CEO Doug McMillon to be circulated to employees Tuesday afternoon.

The retailer is further requesting that customers refrain from openly carrying firearms at its Walmart and Sam’s Club stores unless they are law enforcement officers. However, it said that it won’t be changing its policy for customers who have permits for concealed carry. Walmart says it will be adding signage in stores to inform customers of those changes...."

i can empty my pocket change and find more coin than I typically spend at wallyfworld in a year, so good luck to 'em.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Have a lot of registered SBRs been used in shootings I wonder?
Holland&Holland

Postby gman1868 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Now will Walmart stop filling prescriptions for opioids and other addictive pain killers. I won’t hold my breath.
Sorcerer

Next

Return to In The News