Fleet Farm drops "Assault Style Rifles"

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby 870TC on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Fleet Farm to no longer carry "assault style rifles" ...hope it works out for them :shameonyou:

https://www.facebook.com/RealJeremyMuns ... 7753149744

Posted on Papas facebook page also
https://www.facebook.com/PapasToybox/?h ... _tn__=kC-R
870TC

Re: Fleet Farm drops "Assault Style Rifles"

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 pm

870TC wrote:Fleet Farm to no longer carry "assault style rifles" ...hope it works out for them :shameonyou:

https://www.facebook.com/RealJeremyMuns ... 7753149744

Posted on Papas facebook page also
https://www.facebook.com/PapasToybox/?h ... _tn__=kC-R

That is what happens when an ardent 2A supporter sells their business to big business, it is sad. I used to be a big FF guy.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Lots of changes there lately. My choices are much fewer.
Ghost

Postby dismal on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Has this been verified? I’m not seeing on the FF website or news anywhere. But, if true I’ll be doing a lot less shopping there.
dismal

Postby xd ED on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:47 pm

If true, it would not surprise me. FF has been circling the drain ever more as the effects of ownership change become more, and more apparent.
A few years ago, I drove passed a homer's depot(still do) and 2 Menard's stores to get to MFF. Lately, I've been lucky if they have 1/2 the stuff I intended to purchase when I walked in.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Another one for dead-to-me list: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/walm ... king-guns/

Dumping everything tactical looking including 18.5” shotguns and scary .22s. Accessories also.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:Another one for dead-to-me list: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/walm ... king-guns/

Dumping everything tactical looking including 18.5” shotguns and scary .22s. Accessories also.

That’s so 2015
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 pm

Ghost wrote:
Uffdaphil wrote:Another one for dead-to-me list: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/walm ... king-guns/

That’s so 2015

Well if one reads this story and the other Wal-Mart story it is obvious that the issue is that there marketing people need fired.
Holland&Holland

Postby linksep on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 pm

I stopped shopping there when they announced "We'll still sell scary black guns but we won't advertise them." because:
a) I try to avoid spending my money with companies that virtue signal.
b) I knew it was only a short slide from there to "We don't sell scary black guns.".
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Ghost wrote:

That’s so 2015

At least it was August :D
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby MJY65 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:36 am

xd ED wrote:If true, it would not surprise me. FF has been circling the drain ever more as the effects of ownership change become more, and more apparent.
A few years ago, I drove passed a homer's depot(still do) and 2 Menard's stores to get to MFF. Lately, I've been lucky if they have 1/2 the stuff I intended to purchase when I walked in.

They seem to have a serious inventory control problem. FWIW: I think the addition of ARs and handguns to their gun selection was relatively recent(maybe 10 years?). I don't recall seeing anything but a few hunting shotguns and rifles before that.
MJY65

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am

MJY65 wrote:
xd ED wrote:If true, it would not surprise me. FF has been circling the drain ever more as the effects of ownership change become more, and more apparent.

They seem to have a serious inventory control problem. FWIW: I think the addition of ARs and handguns to their gun selection was relatively recent(maybe 10 years?). I don't recall seeing anything but a few hunting shotguns and rifles before that.

That is correct
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:03 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
MJY65 wrote:

That is correct

it seems to me that the self defense/ sporting arms marketing began about the same time Stewart III became more visible; not certain which was cause, or effect.

Beyond FF's inventory issues, at least at the Oakdale store - there has been a fair bit of 're-merchandising'...moving stuff around the store, associating certain items with different departments. At the same time there was a distinct change in the level of on-the-floor staff.
The end result is not knowing where some things were now located, and far fewer people to help find it.
Add to that longer check out lines due to fewer cashiers.

Having some history in retailing, I am always sensitive to how much I intended to spend when I walked in vs how much I actual spent.
If all customers are down to 40% - 60% range, as I am, there is some serious money walking out the door that will be spent elsewhere.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:50 pm

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
MJY65 wrote:

That is correct

it seems to me that the self defense/ sporting arms marketing began about the same time Stewart III became more visible; not certain which was cause, or effect.

Beyond FF's inventory issues, at least at the Oakdale store - there has been a fair bit of 're-merchandising'...moving stuff around the store, associating certain items with different departments. At the same time there was a distinct change in the level of on-the-floor staff.
The end result is not knowing where some things were now located, and far fewer people to help find it.
Add to that longer check out lines due to fewer cashiers.

Having some history in retailing, I am always sensitive to how much I intended to spend when I walked in vs how much I actual spent.
If all customers are down to 40% - 60% range, as I am, there is some serious money walking out the door that will be spent elsewhere.

I think it had more to do with his involvement with Huldra Arms and his interests as he was in charge of marketing, etc... It was nice while it lasted though I can recall ever seeing a really good gun deal there.
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I think it had more to do with his involvement with Huldra Arms and his interests as he was in charge of marketing, etc... It was nice while it lasted though I can recall ever seeing a really good gun deal there.

That's an excellent observation. I don't recall ever seeing an AR of any other brand at FF.
MJY65

Next

Return to In The News