Fleet Farm drops "Assault Style Rifles"

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Fleet Farm drops "Assault Style Rifles"

Postby bstrawse on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I think it had more to do with his involvement with Huldra Arms and his interests as he was in charge of marketing, etc... It was nice while it lasted though I can recall ever seeing a really good gun deal there.

That's an excellent observation. I don't recall ever seeing an AR of any other brand at FF.

I purchased a Bushmaster AR-15 at Fleet Farm about a year ago. They have carried multiple brands.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:39 pm

bstrawse wrote:
MJY65 wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I think it had more to do with his involvement with Huldra Arms and his interests as he was in charge of marketing, etc... It was nice while it lasted though I can recall ever seeing a really good gun deal there.

That's an excellent observation. I don't recall ever seeing an AR of any other brand at FF.

I purchased a Bushmaster AR-15 at Fleet Farm about a year ago. They have carried multiple brands.
b

Yes they did, you are correct. The very 1st ones they started carrying though were the Huldra Arms and the other brand that escapes me that was a DI made by the Huldra people. Then it grew from there. They did the complete store redos to expand the gun sections, started carrying reloading supplies and handguns, then a 2nd round of store redos to make the fun areas even bigger. I liked it.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:42 pm

I spend a lot of time in Fleet Farms. They always seem to be on the way when traveling for work and always have stuff I need, cool stuff, stuff I want, stuff I think I want, and stuff I don't need but feel the urge to buy anyway. Sad that they are going the anti gun route... I remember my 1st surplus mosin from them for $79.99. I had a $50 gift card and came out of there with a very cheap gun.
Holland&Holland

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Sheesh, I’ve been giving them my business for four too many years. Mea culpa.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Why 4 years?
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm very sad (and a little frustrated) to find out Fleet Farm will no longer carry "assault weapons". I think the Oakdale store recently INCREASED the floor area devoted to guns and ammunition. My personal recollection is that during the dreaded .22 shortage they didn't price gouge. They hardly ever had any .22LR but when they did the price was reasonable.

Right now, today until midnight (11:59 pm Thursday, August 29) if you order online and pickup in the store you can get 10% off (off from anything but I have a specific gun in mind) a black, Taurus 92, a fair copy of the Beretta 92 but with the safety lever where it "should" be :D on the frame and not the slide, for about $360. (That's the $399.99 - (10% of 399.99) which in my fuzzy math mind comes to about $360, plus tax of course.

I imagine I'll still shop Fleet Farm but this is troubling.
daleamn

Postby Grayskies on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:49 pm

daleamn wrote:I'm very sad (and a little frustrated) to find out Fleet Farm will no longer carry "assault weapons". I think the Oakdale store recently INCREASED the floor area devoted to guns and ammunition. My personal recollection is that during the dreaded .22 shortage they didn't price gouge. They hardly ever had any .22LR but when they did the price was reasonable.

Right now, today until midnight (11:59 pm Thursday, August 29) if you order online and pickup in the store you can get 10% off (off from anything but I have a specific gun in mind) a black, Taurus 92, a fair copy of the Beretta 92 but with the safety lever where it "should" be :D on the frame and not the slide, for about $360. (That's the $399.99 - (10% of 399.99) which in my fuzzy math mind comes to about $360, plus tax of course.

Maybe they will convert the space to a Brozilian salon?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 pm

daleamn wrote:I'm very sad (and a little frustrated) to find out Fleet Farm will no longer carry "assault weapons". I think the Oakdale store recently INCREASED the floor area devoted to guns and ammunition. My personal recollection is that during the dreaded .22 shortage they didn't price gouge. They hardly ever had any .22LR but when they did the price was reasonable.

You are correct about the pricing during the shortages but at that time it was still owned by the Mills.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Fleet Farm "assault rifles" is a new one to me. I can't read the signature, is the letter from the CEO Derick Prelle or from the Mankato manager? The former would carry some weight while the other might be wishful thinking on his part.

I can see a revamping of guns carried as some are either priced outside what the typical customer would purchase while others are just not that popular. Becoming more focused on the desires of their main customer base would make a lot of sense. It costs a lot of money to sit for long periods on inventory to then slash it on clearance.

The early brand names for ARs were Huldra and Korstag. I picked up one of each when they were put on clearance. I believe I did pretty well.
smurfman

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:37 pm

smurfman wrote:Fleet Farm "assault rifles" is a new one to me. I can't read the signature, is the letter from the CEO Derick Prelle or from the Mankato manager? The former would carry some weight while the other might be wishful thinking on his part.

I can see a revamping of guns carried as some are either priced outside what the typical customer would purchase while others are just not that popular. Becoming more focused on the desires of their main customer base would make a lot of sense. It costs a lot of money to sit for long periods on inventory to then slash it on clearance.

The early brand names for ARs were Huldra and Korstag. I picked up one of each when they were put on clearance. I believe I did pretty well.

Looks like Frank Steeves, which a google search confirms

Exec VP
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (33.11 KB) Viewed 1459 times
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Previous

Return to In The News