Student Banned From School For Going Shooting With His Mom

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Student Banned From School For Going Shooting With His Mom

Postby jdege on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:04 pm

https://www.rallyforourrights.com/colorado-student-removed-from-school-for-going-shooting-with-his-mom/
Colorado Student Banned From School For Going Shooting With His Mom
This morning Justine woke up to a voicemail from Thompson Valley School District where Nate is a junior at Loveland High School in Loveland, CO. The voicemail informed Justine that a report had come in claiming Nate was a threat to the school and he was not allowed to return until further notice. The report presumably came through Safe 2 Tell. There are reports that a school wide email was also sent to parents about the “threat”. Justine immediately contacted the school assuming she could easily clear things up, especially since the police had already assessed the situation and realized no one had done anything wrong or made any threats. She was wrong. The school not only refused to provide her with more information about the “threat”, but they refused to provide Nate with schoolwork so he doesn’t get behind. A “threat assessment hearing” has been scheduled for Thursday morning at 10am at the school admin building where Justine will be allowed to defend her son against SEVEN school officials who will be in attendance to, as she was told, “make their case”. Make their case of what? That Nate’s outing with his mother to train with her firearms somehow makes him a danger to the school?
jdege

Re: Student Banned From School For Going Shooting With His Mom

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:18 pm

jdege wrote:https://www.rallyforourrights.com/colorado-student-removed-from-school-for-going-shooting-with-his-mom/
Colorado Student Banned From School For Going Shooting With His Mom
This morning Justine woke up to a voicemail from Thompson Valley School District where Nate is a junior at Loveland High School in Loveland, CO. The voicemail informed Justine that a report had come in claiming Nate was a threat to the school and he was not allowed to return until further notice. The report presumably came through Safe 2 Tell. There are reports that a school wide email was also sent to parents about the “threat”. Justine immediately contacted the school assuming she could easily clear things up, especially since the police had already assessed the situation and realized no one had done anything wrong or made any threats. She was wrong. The school not only refused to provide her with more information about the “threat”, but they refused to provide Nate with schoolwork so he doesn’t get behind. A “threat assessment hearing” has been scheduled for Thursday morning at 10am at the school admin building where Justine will be allowed to defend her son against SEVEN school officials who will be in attendance to, as she was told, “make their case”. Make their case of what? That Nate’s outing with his mother to train with her firearms somehow makes him a danger to the school?

Yup, that is the crazy world we live in.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:41 pm

What if he had expressed a desire when he's an adult to become a police officer or join the Army? Would they worry about his "obsession with guns and violence"?
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Lumpy wrote:What if he had expressed a desire when he's an adult to become a police officer or join the Army? Would they worry about his "obsession with guns and violence"?

Yup
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:28 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Lumpy wrote:What if he had expressed a desire when he's an adult to become a police officer or join the Army? Would they worry about his "obsession with guns and violence"?

Yup

No Doubt he'd be suffering from PRE Traumatic Stress Disorder, and a Red Flag Confiscation Order would be issued.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 pm

The school apparently never heard they couldn't use "Indians" as their sports teams anymore. Sign in the background. Probably noticed because I'm POed we had to change from Indians to Raiders or lose government funding - just more BS. BTW at that time I was playing poker with a lot of reservation guys at Jackpot that I would also run into in LA$ VEGA$ and every one of a dozen said they would be proud to have a school name their sports teams Indians.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:18 pm

LarryFlew wrote:The school apparently never heard they couldn't use "Indians" as their sports teams anymore. Sign in the background. Probably noticed because I'm POed we had to change from Indians to Raiders or lose government funding - just more BS. BTW at that time I was playing poker with a lot of reservation guys at Jackpot that I would also run into in LA$ VEGA$ and every one of a dozen said they would be proud to have a school name their sports teams Indians.

The left has a severe case of white guilt that far exceeds any rational reason. All it takes is some small faction to raise a ruckus and the "we have to do something " crowd overreacts and goes overboard.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:06 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:The school apparently never heard they couldn't use "Indians" as their sports teams anymore. Sign in the background. Probably noticed because I'm POed we had to change from Indians to Raiders or lose government funding - just more BS. BTW at that time I was playing poker with a lot of reservation guys at Jackpot that I would also run into in LA$ VEGA$ and every one of a dozen said they would be proud to have a school name their sports teams Indians.

The left has a severe case of white guilt that far exceeds any rational reason. All it takes is some small faction to raise a ruckus and the "we have to do something " crowd overreacts and goes overboard.

Kinda like last year when the Ramsey county sheriff wet his pants because he thought he found a machine gun. Turned out he was an idiot.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:47 am

Talked to a woman at work who thought all 'assault guns' were 'automatic machine guns'. I educated her but the misinformation runs deep.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:35 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Kinda like last year when the Ramsey county sheriff wet his pants because he thought he found a machine gun. Turned out he was an idiot.

That story just bubbled up in the news again in some sort of an attempt by the Strib to do some sort of story about the ATF, and gun confiscations:

ATF reports record year for gun seizures in Minnesota, including more fully automatic weapons - The recent mass shootings have renewed scrutiny of semiautomatic military-style rifles

The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office was partly responsible for last year’s surge in gun traces: Deputies recovered a cache of dozens of firearms, ammunition and explosives from the home of a boy threatening to shoot up his school shortly after the Parkland, Fla., high school shooting that claimed 17 lives.

(Nowhere is it mentioned that there was nothing illegal found. I recall, everything was returned to the homeowner, and the sheriff is no longer sheriff.)

What is actually informative is the paragraph that appears just before the above quoted paragraph:

But while the recent mass shootings renewed scrutiny of semiautomatic military-style rifles, more than half of all the guns seized in Minnesota last year were pistols, according to the ATF. “Almost all the shootings we have had in Ramsey and Hennepin Counties are handgun-related, and an enormous percentage of cases where a gun was used in a crime, it’s a handgun,” said Roy Magnuson, a spokesman for the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office. “They are the tool of choice.”
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:47 pm

Great, so now handguns will be demonized. They already were but Center stage has been evil black scary military style assault automatic guns that are really scary.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Grayskies on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:55 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Great, so now handguns will be demonized. They already were but Center stage has been evil black scary military style assault automatic guns that are really scary.

They want them all banned, they are just going after the low hanging fruit at the moment.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby jdege on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:41 pm

I was thinking about possible responses to this sort of crap.

Suppose kid with a gun owning parent in the school went out shooting with his or her parent, took a picture, and posted the picture to the currently popular social media site, in support of Nate and his mother.

Then make sure that they're all flagged as "threats".

If half the kids in the school were suspended "pending investigation" they might decide they need to address their process.
jdege

Postby Grayskies on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:02 pm

They would just suspend all the involved kids then complain to the government that they are not receiving enough funds.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Grayskies wrote:They would just suspend all the involved kids then complain to the government that they are not receiving enough funds.

:exactly:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Next

Return to In The News