'The law is the law': Virginia Democrats float prosecution

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:29 am

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/the-law-is-the-law-virginia-democrats-float-prosecution-and-national-guard-for-police-who-fail-to-enforce-gun-control-legislation?fbclid=IwAR094A0Oq2t5-rk3LA2S0yU35-Wq9ULPcKzePnzWs_NlIhctbAGZdL9yMZo
'The law is the law': Virginia Democrats float prosecution and National Guard deployment against police who fail to enforce gun control statutes
Democratic lawmakers on Capitol Hill say local police who do not enforce gun control measures likely to pass in Virginia should face prosecution and even threats of the National Guard.

After November's Virginia Legislature elections that led to Democrats taking control of both chambers, the gun control legislation proposed by some Democrats moved forward, including universal background checks, an “assault weapons” ban, and a red flag law.

Legal firearm owners in the state, however, joined with their sheriffs to form Second Amendment sanctuary counties, which declare the authorities in these municipalities uphold the Second Amendment in the face of any gun control measure passed by Richmond.

Over 75 counties in Virginia have so far adopted such Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions in the commonwealth, the latest being Spotsylvania County. The board of supervisors voted unanimously to approve a resolution declaring that county police will not enforce state-level gun laws that violate Second Amendment rights.

They think the National Guard will enforce unconstitutional gun laws when the sheriffs refuse?
jdege

Re: 'The law is the law': Virginia Democrats float prosecution

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:34 am

I wonder if they feel the same way about enforcing immigration law? :roll:

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:47 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I wonder if they feel the same way about enforcing immigration law? :roll:

Immigration law isn’t cool law
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 am

laws are for “other people “.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:05 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I wonder if they feel the same way about enforcing immigration law? :roll:

Isn't that the truth!!?? Selectively ignoring laws is what they are best at.
BigBlue

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:53 am

May be the Va. politicians have watched Rambo First Blood. There thinking is muddled.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Sorcerer wrote:May be the Va. politicians have watched Rambo First Blood. There thinking is muddled.

No need for guns if you have a big knife?
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:44 am

jdege wrote:https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/the-law-is-the-law-virginia-democrats-float-prosecution-and-national-guard-for-police-who-fail-to-enforce-gun-control-legislation?fbclid=IwAR094A0Oq2t5-rk3LA2S0yU35-Wq9ULPcKzePnzWs_NlIhctbAGZdL9yMZo
'The law is the law': Virginia Democrats float prosecution and National Guard deployment against police who fail to enforce gun control statutes
Democratic lawmakers on Capitol Hill say local police who do not enforce gun control measures likely to pass in Virginia should face prosecution and even threats of the National Guard.

After November's Virginia Legislature elections that led to Democrats taking control of both chambers, the gun control legislation proposed by some Democrats moved forward, including universal background checks, an “assault weapons” ban, and a red flag law.

Legal firearm owners in the state, however, joined with their sheriffs to form Second Amendment sanctuary counties, which declare the authorities in these municipalities uphold the Second Amendment in the face of any gun control measure passed by Richmond.

Over 75 counties in Virginia have so far adopted such Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions in the commonwealth, the latest being Spotsylvania County. The board of supervisors voted unanimously to approve a resolution declaring that county police will not enforce state-level gun laws that violate Second Amendment rights.

This will cause a large Dilemma, because those National Guard men and women, took the same oath as have the Sheriffs/LEO. To Defend The Constitution, against threats, domestic and abroad. These nes VA are Gross Violations of the 2A and Constitution.

I shared this in another topic, but I believe that EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS VIDEO

They think the National Guard will enforce unconstitutional gun laws when the sheriffs refuse?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Grayskies on Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:25 pm

I find myself hoping the Virginia govenor activates the states national guard over this, the optics would be so bad for the anti 2A dems would be horrific.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:42 pm

LaRue Virginia dillo are still available proceeds go towards the fight

Sold out, link removed
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby dismal on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:39 pm

I think the precedent has already been set that laws can be ignored by the government if they want to; think immigration, marijuana, etc.
dismal

Postby Ghost on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:20 pm

They now want to fire them if they don’t enforce the law

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB67
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Beware of "select militias": persons vetted for their loyalty to the regime and given a monopoly on possessing weapons. It goes back to the English Civil War, and such militias were regarded by the Founding Fathers as little better than standing armies where democracy was concerned.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Grayskies wrote:I find myself hoping the Virginia govenor activates the states national guard over this, the optics would be so bad for the anti 2A dems would be horrific.

That is a course of action that has consequences for decades.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Lumpy wrote:Beware of "select militias": persons vetted for their loyalty to the regime and given a monopoly on possessing weapons. It goes back to the English Civil War, and such militias were regarded by the Founding Fathers as little better than standing armies where democracy was concerned.

https://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/federal-farmer-xviii/
Federal Farmer XVIII
Richard Henry Lee | January 25, 1788

First, the constitution ought to secure a genuine and guard against a select militia, by providing that the militia shall always be kept well organized, armed, and disciplined, and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms; and that all regulations tending to render this general militia useless and defenceless, by establishing select corps of militia, or distinct bodies of military men, not having permanent interests and attachments in the community to be avoided. I am persuaded, I need not multiply words to convince you of the value and solidity of this principle, as it respects general liberty, and the duration of a free and mild government: having this principle well fixed by the constitution, then the federal head may prescribe a general uniform plan, on which the respective states shall form and train the militia, appoint their officers and solely manage them, except when called into the service of the union, and when called into that service, they may be commanded and governed by the union. This arrangement combines energy and safety in it; it places the sword in the hands of the solid interest of the community, and not in the hands of men destitute of property, of principle, or of attachment to the society and government, who often form the select corps of peace or ordinary establishments: by it, the militia are the people, immediately under the management of the state governments, but on a uniform federal plan, and called into the service, command, and government of the union, when necessary for the common defence and general tranquility. But, say gentlemen, the general militia are for the most part employed at home in their private concerns, cannot well be called out, or be depended upon; that we must have a select militia; that is, as I understand it, particular corps or bodies of young men, and of men who have but little to do at home, particularly armed and disciplined in some measure, at the public expence, and always ready to take the field. These corps, not much unlike regular troops, will ever produce an inattention to the general militia; and the consequence has ever been, and always must be, that the substantial men, having families and property, will generally be without arms, without knowing the use of them, and defenceless; whereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all promiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle; and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it.
jdege

Next

Return to In The News