Commenting on news stories

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Commenting on news stories

Postby daleamn on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:49 pm

I avidly read the comments to stories in the Pioneer Press and the Star Tribune. That is, I read the comments until they get to the point where a few people just start doing the “YOU ARE!”/”NO YOU ARE!!!” dance and then I lose interest. (I often times wish the papers would limit folk to just 4 or 5 comments per story).

Anyway, regarding gun related news articles, does it really do any good to post to the comment section? I enjoy seeing folk correcting inaccuracies and, IMhO, “dumb” biases against guns but does it really do any good?

There is a, again---in my opinion, a very thoughtful and respectful commentator, Thomas L. Bonnett of Mendota Heights (he writes REAL letters to the editor, signing his name to them so I’m not “outing” him here) that almost always brings a lot of sane, rational thought to the comment section. In contrast there is one commentator that CONSTANTLY claims Oklahoma has NO GUN LAWS AT ALL!!! (Sheese!)

I suspect people with a certain viewpoint ignore Bonnett just as I ignore the idiot that thinks Federal laws don’t apply to Oklahoma. (Oh, wait, is my bias showing?).

I am VERY glad that there are not only people that “speak truth to power” but in the gun related world there are people like Bonnett that “speak smarts to ignorants”.

I hope they realize they are appreciated.

And of course I hope the folk in the MN Gun Caucus, like BStrawse, realize how much we appreciate THEM too.
daleamn

Re: Commenting on news stories

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:03 pm

The Strib actually published my response to when the legislature was considering banning guns from the Capitol area in downtown Saint Paul. I pointed out that laws making the felony misuse of firearms "illegaler" weren't likely to do much practical good.

ETA: actually found it online! http://www.startribune.com/readers-writ ... 239513051/
Lumpy

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:46 pm

Lumpy wrote:The Strib actually published my response to when the legislature was considering banning guns from the Capitol area in downtown Saint Paul. I pointed out that laws making the felony misuse of firearms "illegaler" weren't likely to do much practical good.

ETA: actually found it online! http://www.startribune.com/readers-writ ... 239513051/

Nice response :rock:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby daleamn on Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:04 pm

The Pioneer Press seems to allow comments on almost all their stories. The Star Tribune...well their policy on allowing comments is perplexing to me.
I liked your letter and like your term "illegaler" a lot!
daleamn

Postby rtk on Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm

daleamn wrote:The Pioneer Press seems to allow comments on almost all their stories. The Star Tribune...well their policy on allowing comments is perplexing to me.

The red star is very careful what they allow for comments. They usually allow comments that will play to the left.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:00 pm

rtk wrote:
daleamn wrote:The Pioneer Press seems to allow comments on almost all their stories. The Star Tribune...well their policy on allowing comments is perplexing to me.

The red star is very careful what they allow for comments. They usually allow comments that will play to the left.

Yep;
not only are they selective about which stories can be commented on, they review every comment before it's allowed to be publicized.
Most stories about local shootings, violence are rarely, if ever allowed comments.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to In The News