Pelosi Security Points Gun at Trump Supporters

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Pelosi Security Points Gun at Trump Supporters

Postby bstrawse on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:44 pm

BigBlue wrote:Do we really need sniper overwatch of normal daily activities like these though? And who does he work for? If Secret Service or some other agency assigned to protect congress folks then maybe. But if some type of private security then I have issues. I'd expect a sniper at an event where the president or vice president was involved. Not much else.

Her protective detail is from the US Capitol Police.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby rtk on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Fake news..
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Agree, the outrage is not founded. You have no idea if the guy had his finger even close to the trigger. I think you are right that it is pretty common to Glass the crowd using the high power optic you have in front of you. I'm no sniper, but I do that in the deer stand. If someone happened to be walking through the brush, there would be a weapon trained on the are of the noise.....

The hyperventilation to play the gotcha game gets old......

Does not matter. Do cops walk around pointing guns at people who are not threats?

Does it count if some times I wanted too?
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:16 pm

wasfuzz wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Agree, the outrage is not founded. You have no idea if the guy had his finger even close to the trigger. I think you are right that it is pretty common to Glass the crowd using the high power optic you have in front of you. I'm no sniper, but I do that in the deer stand. If someone happened to be walking through the brush, there would be a weapon trained on the are of the noise.....

Does not matter. Do cops walk around pointing guns at people who are not threats?

Does it count if some times I wanted too?

I can understand the feeling.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:29 pm

xd ED wrote:
jdege wrote:
Chunkychuck wrote:Unless I’m mistaken, snipers are taught to use their scopes to surveil the crowd.

If that's true, snipers are taught wrong.
At least for actions in a law enforcement context.

...because nothing has ever gone wrong with the fire control system on a Rem 700....

"This here is a glock forty. I am the only one here professional enough to carry this...
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

That is not an apples to apples comparison. One is an overwatch. The other is a close encounter mission.
depends on what you are comparing does it not? Both include pointing a gun at something you do not intend to shoot.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:
jdege wrote:If that's true, snipers are taught wrong.
At least for actions in a law enforcement context.

...because nothing has ever gone wrong with the fire control system on a Rem 700....

"This here is a glock forty. I am the only one here professional enough to carry this...

Yup
Ghost

Postby Chunkychuck on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:08 pm

[quote="Chunkychuck" That is not an apples to apples comparison. One is an overwatch. The other is a close encounter mission.[/quote] depends on what you are comparing does it not? Both include pointing a gun at something you do not intend to shoot.[/quote]

I guess my perception is different. I see a difference between someone on a rooftop panning the crowd vs officers walking around pointing their handguns at people.
Chunkychuck

Postby jdege on Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:42 am

I wasn't a sniper, but my recollection of my ancient military training was that it you could be seen, you weren't doing it right.

This sitting with your barrel sticking out window over the edge of a roof is not doctrine. I know it's popular in the movies, but it seems pretty stupid.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:25 am

Chunkychuck wrote:[quote="Chunkychuck" That is not an apples to apples comparison. One is an overwatch. The other is a close encounter mission.
depends on what you are comparing does it not? Both include pointing a gun at something you do not intend to shoot.[/quote]

I guess my perception is different. I see a difference between someone on a rooftop panning the crowd vs officers walking around pointing their handguns at people.[/quote]
Gun safety is gun safety no matter the situation.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:31 am

jdege wrote:I wasn't a sniper, but my recollection of my ancient military training was that it you could be seen, you weren't doing it right.

This sitting with your barrel sticking out window over the edge of a roof is not doctrine. I know it's popular in the movies, but it seems pretty stupid.

:exactly:

Intimidation is the only one reason to let yourself be seen like that.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:06 pm

jdege wrote:I wasn't a sniper, but my recollection of my ancient military training was that it you could be seen, you weren't doing it right.

Agreed, properly trained snipers shoot and setup from a "hide" - no part of a barrel or scopes are visible to targets.
OldmanFCSA

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Clearly it is designed to be a deterrent and an intimidation.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:51 pm

They aren’t snipers they are security.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:50 pm

Ghost wrote:They aren’t snipers they are security.

Well if they would just go ahead a let off a warning shot then we could tell the difference.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to In The News