Stay at home extended

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Stay at home extended

Postby usnret on Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:58 pm

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Re: Stay at home extended

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Ridiculous
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:00 pm

That is not the news I was expecting. With the new info on stats I think we really should be finding a path back to normal, not adding 4 more weeks of this plan. I'm not happy with this news.
BigBlue

Postby jdege on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:00 pm

https://reason.com/2020/04/08/how-the-cdc-and-the-fda-wrecked-the-economy/
How the CDC and the FDA Wrecked the Economy
The failure to conduct early and wide testing left politicians ignorant of basic facts about the COVID-19 epidemic.
Public officials across the United States are flying blind against the COVID-19 epidemic. Because of a government-engineered testing fiasco, they do not know how fast the virus is spreading, how many people have been infected by it, how many will die as a result, or how many have developed immunity to it.

The failure to implement early and wide testing, which was caused by a combination of short-sightedness, ineptitude, and bureaucratic intransigence, left politicians scrambling to avoid a hospital crisis by imposing broad business closure and stay-at-home orders. It foreclosed the possibility of a more proactive and targeted approach, focused on identifying carriers, tracing their contacts, and protecting the public through isolation and quarantines.

So, what are the odds that anyone will be held accountable?

Or that anything will change?
jdege

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:25 pm

jdege wrote:https://reason.com/2020/04/08/how-the-cdc-and-the-fda-wrecked-the-economy/
How the CDC and the FDA Wrecked the Economy
The failure to conduct early and wide testing left politicians ignorant of basic facts about the COVID-19 epidemic.
Public officials across the United States are flying blind against the COVID-19 epidemic. Because of a government-engineered testing fiasco, they do not know how fast the virus is spreading, how many people have been infected by it, how many will die as a result, or how many have developed immunity to it.

The failure to implement early and wide testing, which was caused by a combination of short-sightedness, ineptitude, and bureaucratic intransigence, left politicians scrambling to avoid a hospital crisis by imposing broad business closure and stay-at-home orders. It foreclosed the possibility of a more proactive and targeted approach, focused on identifying carriers, tracing their contacts, and protecting the public through isolation and quarantines.

So, what are the odds that anyone will be held accountable?

Or that anything will change?

0 and 0
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Should fire a nuke in the heart of china for all this crap. Still think there is more to this than just this virus. Heck, the regular flu has killed more.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:46 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Should fire a nuke in the heart of china for all this crap. Still think there is more to this than just this virus. Heck, the regular flu has killed more.

Well from your other post sounds like China is not the direction for that nuke.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:33 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Should fire a nuke in the heart of china for all this crap. Still think there is more to this than just this virus. Heck, the regular flu has killed more.

Well from your other post sounds like China is not the direction for that nuke.

Sounds like we assisted. Their scientist brought it back to refine it and it got out.
Bearcatrp

Postby TeeBee on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:34 am

What is the end game? What metrics are being used to keeping our economy locked down? What were the metrics used to put us here in the first place?

My mother-in-law works at a hospital in Minneapolis. They have no patients. They have shut down entire wards of the hospital. They are now being asked to take an entire week of off to comply with the stay-at-home orders. If you don't have enough vacation time saved, you are not going to be paid.

But don't worry, golf courses will be primed and ready to go for all the people that will be won't be able to leave their homes.
Member GOCRA
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" -TJ
TeeBee

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 am

I thought I heard the governor or either Washington or Oregon said they’ll open back up with 2 weeks of no covid deaths.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:34 am

Ghost wrote:I thought I heard the governor or either Washington or Oregon said they’ll open back up with 2 weeks of no covid deaths.

That will be awfully hard to do considering they are classifying any death as Covid-related if any symptom was a close match.
BigBlue

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:38 am

TeeBee wrote:What is the end game? What metrics are being used to keeping our economy locked down? What were the metrics used to put us here in the first place?

My mother-in-law works at a hospital in Minneapolis. They have no patients. They have shut down entire wards of the hospital. They are now being asked to take an entire week of off to comply with the stay-at-home orders. If you don't have enough vacation time saved, you are not going to be paid.

But don't worry, golf courses will be primed and ready to go for all the people that will be won't be able to leave their homes.

It would be revealing if some in the media would pose such questions to our governor at his press briefings.
And while the golf course workers may be allowed to return to work, and maintain the courses, golfers are still verboten.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/minnesota
  • 14 days until peak hospital resource use n April 23, 2020
  • 17 days until projected peak in daily deaths
  • 16 COVID-19 deaths projected on April 26, 2020
  • 456 COVID-9 deaths projected by August 4 2020
jdege

Postby mc762x54R on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:14 am

This is ridiculous, and people are finally starting to see it. Let individuals and families decide if they want to shelter in place forever. I HIGHLY doubt taxing Timmy will lift the order on May4. It'll be more BS graphs and his comically poor understanding of statistics, and we need a few more weeks blah blah blah. His stupid '95% confidence' claims are designed to scare anyone with statistics knowledge.
mc762x54R

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:02 pm

mc762x54R wrote:This is ridiculous, and people are finally starting to see it. Let individuals and families decide if they want to shelter in place forever. I HIGHLY doubt taxing Timmy will lift the order on May4. It'll be more BS graphs and his comically poor understanding of statistics, and we need a few more weeks blah blah blah. His stupid '95% confidence' claims are designed to scare anyone with statistics knowledge.

Every now and then, some revealing bits of information slip out of the Walz brain trust:
Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm revealed a tantalizing trend Tuesday,
regarding the time it takes for the number of confirmed coronavirus
cases to double — a key metric in assessing the shape of the bell curve
that typifies any outbreak of infectious disease.

In early March, as the state’s first cases were being reported, the number was doubling every day or two, she said.

The first 11 days....
TOTAL CASES
From earlier published data
date in Mar/ #of cases + change
1/ 0
2/ 0
3/ 0
4 / 0
5/ 0
6/ 1 +1
7/ 1
8/ 3 +2
9/ 3
10 /3
11/ 5 +2

Somehow, in her mind there is enough significance in going from 1 to 2, and 2 to 4 to help create a model that first predicted 50-70,000 deaths in the state.

and when questioned about the original model's predictions, Gov Walz replied:

"~ I thought is was a shocking number, and asked about it, but I put it out because what if the number was right and I didnt, then look at the tough media questions I would face."
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to In The News