Stay at home extended

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Stay at home extended

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:29 pm

xd ED wrote:
mc762x54R wrote:This is ridiculous, and people are finally starting to see it. Let individuals and families decide if they want to shelter in place forever. I HIGHLY doubt taxing Timmy will lift the order on May4. It'll be more BS graphs and his comically poor understanding of statistics, and we need a few more weeks blah blah blah. His stupid '95% confidence' claims are designed to scare anyone with statistics knowledge.

Every now and then, some revealing bits of information slip out of the Walz brain trust:
Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm revealed a tantalizing trend Tuesday,
regarding the time it takes for the number of confirmed coronavirus
cases to double — a key metric in assessing the shape of the bell curve
that typifies any outbreak of infectious disease.

In early March, as the state’s first cases were being reported, the number was doubling every day or two, she said.

The first 11 days....
TOTAL CASES
From earlier published data
date in Mar/ #of cases + change
1/ 0
2/ 0
3/ 0
4 / 0
5/ 0
6/ 1 +1
7/ 1
8/ 3 +2
9/ 3
10 /3
11/ 5 +2

Somehow, in her mind there is enough significance in going from 1 to 2, and 2 to 4 to help create a model that first predicted 50-70,000 deaths in the state.

and when questioned about the original model's predictions, Gov Walz replied:

"~ I thought is was a shocking number, and asked about it, but I put it out because what if the number was right and I didnt, then look at the tough media questions I would face."

The old better safe than sorry method. And once it’s over he can claim he saved so many lives.
Ghost

Postby Dill on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:34 pm

my wife as well, and same with ambulance drivers and EMTs.

TeeBee wrote:What is the end game? What metrics are being used to keeping our economy locked down? What were the metrics used to put us here in the first place?

My mother-in-law works at a hospital in Minneapolis. They have no patients. They have shut down entire wards of the hospital. They are now being asked to take an entire week of off to comply with the stay-at-home orders. If you don't have enough vacation time saved, you are not going to be paid.

But don't worry, golf courses will be primed and ready to go for all the people that will be won't be able to leave their homes.
Dill

Postby BigBlue on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Ghost wrote:The old better safe than sorry method. And once it’s over he can claim he saved so many lives.

"Better safe than sorry" is a great thing to do if the 'safe' option isn't worse than the 'sorry' option. In this case, shutting down huge portions of the economy, driving businesses to bankruptcy and causing mental anguish enough to push people to personal trauma (drinking, addiction, suicide) is a pretty major price to pay.

BB
BigBlue

Postby rtk on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:50 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Ghost wrote:The old better safe than sorry method. And once it’s over he can claim he saved so many lives.

"Better safe than sorry" is a great thing to do if the 'safe' option isn't worse than the 'sorry' option. In this case, shutting down huge portions of the economy, driving businesses to bankruptcy and causing mental anguish enough to push people to personal trauma (drinking, addiction, suicide) is a pretty major price to pay.

BB

Yep!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby MJY65 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:53 pm

I think the public is starting to turn against Walz. The reporters were asking some tougher questions today and he was getting defensive. Not sticking to his original 2 week plan even though nothing bad was happening didn't sit well with people. Many are imagining the extensions going on indefinitely. Not good.
MJY65

Postby rtk on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:13 pm

MJY65 wrote:I think the public is starting to turn against Walz. The reporters were asking some tougher questions today and he was getting defensive. Not sticking to his original 2 week plan even though nothing bad was happening didn't sit well with people. Many are imagining the extensions going on indefinitely. Not good.

I noticed the same thing when listening to his update today. The natives are starting to get restless...
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:45 pm

BigBlue wrote:

BB

I’m not disagreeing but seeing how Iowa has just passed MN for cases, not deaths, Walz has something to point to as he did something. Another 11 deaths reported today in MN which isn’t a big number but isn’t nothing either.
Ghost

Postby LarryP on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Ghost wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

BB

I’m not disagreeing but seeing how Iowa has just passed MN for cases, not deaths, Walz has something to point to as he did something. Another 11 deaths reported today in MN which isn’t a big number but isn’t nothing either.

It's a big number if it's your family or friends
LarryP

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:19 pm

LarryP wrote:It's a big number if it's your family or friends

Very true
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:58 pm

MJY65 wrote:I think the public is starting to turn against Walz. The reporters were asking some tougher questions today and he was getting defensive. Not sticking to his original 2 week plan even though nothing bad was happening didn't sit well with people. Many are imagining the extensions going on indefinitely. Not good.

I heard a few minutes of it today (Thurs). He sounded defensive at times, and also a bit arrogant when asked about (and I infer here) about the lack of transparency in the prediction model. What it sounded like to me was that he said it was too complicated for most to understand. He also mentioned he had a Ph.D.
I'm hoping to find the conference on a podcast.
Last edited by xd ED on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:00 pm

LarryP wrote:
It's a big number if it's your family or friends

That's true, and any such loss is a tragedy.
However, no one stops driving after family or friend dies in a car accident.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby SparkyJeff on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 pm

xd ED wrote:That's true, and any such loss is a tragedy.

That's true, but keep in mind that car accidents are very rarely transmitted to a stranger at the Dollar General 2 weeks after an infected asymptomatic person coughed on a bottle of ketchup in that store.

--Not Sparring, Jabbing, or even poking fun. Just saying it isn't fair to compare compare voluntarily leaving your house and driving a car somewhere on those dangerous streets to breathing.
<I apologize if I got lost in that discussion- I want to go outside, and it's snowing>
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby BigBlue on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:34 pm

https://www.startribune.com/top-minneso ... 569520902/
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:44 pm

SparkyJeff wrote:

That's true, but keep in mind that car accidents are very rarely transmitted to a stranger at the Dollar General 2 weeks after an infected asymptomatic person coughed on a bottle of ketchup in that store.

--Not Sparring, Jabbing, or even poking fun. Just saying it isn't fair to compare compare voluntarily leaving your house and driving a car somewhere on those dangerous streets to breathing.
<I apologize if I got lost in that discussion- I want to go outside, and it's snowing>

The comparison may be better compared to getting hit by a drunk which can happen anytime while driving to the dollar store.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 pm

SparkyJeff wrote:

Valid point.
But the world cannot stop turning because of a virus. If one is vulnerable enough to be at risk of becoming a fatality, then that individual should, of their own volition, choose to keep themselves safe. The rest of the world needs to make their own decisions about how they will cope with this.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

PreviousNext

Return to In The News