Stay at home extended

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Stay at home extended

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:01 pm

BigBlue wrote:
MJY65 wrote:I think the public is starting to turn against Walz. The reporters were asking some tougher questions today and he was getting defensive. Not sticking to his original 2 week plan even though nothing bad was happening didn't sit well with people. Many are imagining the extensions going on indefinitely. Not good.

https://www.startribune.com/top-minneso ... 569520902/

Perhaps the wizard's curtain is about to get pulled open.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby brad3579 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:07 pm

xd ED wrote:
SparkyJeff wrote:
xd ED wrote:That's true, and any such loss is a tragedy.
However, no one stops driving after family or friend dies in a car accident.

That's true, but keep in mind that car accidents are very rarely transmitted to a stranger at the Dollar General 2 weeks after an infected asymptomatic person coughed on a bottle of ketchup in that store.

--Not Sparring, Jabbing, or even poking fun. Just saying it isn't fair to compare compare voluntarily leaving your house and driving a car somewhere on those dangerous streets to breathing.
<I apologize if I got lost in that discussion- I want to go outside, and it's snowing>

Valid point.
But the world cannot stop turning because of a virus. If one is vulnerable enough to be at risk of becoming a fatality, then that individual should, of their own volition, choose to keep themselves safe. The rest of the world needs to make their own decisions about how they will cope with this.

If one has never been in the ER having steroids placed into an IV they probably don't know what its like to feel like you are suffocating.
Anyone with asthma is in that group and there are plenty.
Being one that is in that group that is not the way I prefer to go.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 13 people have asthma. More than 25 million Americans have asthma. This is 7.7 percent of adults and 8.4 percent of children.
brad3579

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:38 pm

How many will die due to factors created from a ruined economy?
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:30 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:How many will die due to factors created from a ruined economy?

How many communities that a are reliant for outside sources for their food, will be going hungry, in a month or three?

Stores are still stocked, here in the US. But production is down and shipping has dropped significantly. We're not seeing general shortages because we're consuming stocks that were produced before all this started. But we will, if we don't get things moving again.

Handing out Monopoly money isn't going to do that.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:28 pm

jdege wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:How many will die due to factors created from a ruined economy?

How many communities that a are reliant for outside sources for their food, will be going hungry, in a month or three?

Stores are still stocked, here in the US. But production is down and shipping has dropped significantly. We're not seeing general shortages because we're consuming stocks that were produced before all this started. But we will, if we don't get things moving again.

Handing out Monopoly money isn't going to do that.

Tried to get Panera take out the other day, they were unable to make half of their sandwiches.

Going into a store and everyone looks like a bandit wearing their bandanas and scarves that likely do nothing.
Ghost

Postby jdege on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:01 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52236936
Coronavirus: Worst economic crisis since 1930s depression, IMF says
The coronavirus pandemic will turn global economic growth "sharply negative" this year, the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned
Separately, UK-based charity organisation Oxfam warned that the economic fallout from the spread of Covid-19 could force more than half a billion more people into poverty.

By the time the pandemic is over, the charity said, half of the world's population of 7.8 billion people could be living in poverty.

And the politicians' solution is to throw money at it.

The problem isn't money, it's production.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 am

jdege wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52236936
Coronavirus: Worst economic crisis since 1930s depression, IMF says
The coronavirus pandemic will turn global economic growth "sharply negative" this year, the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned
Separately, UK-based charity organisation Oxfam warned that the economic fallout from the spread of Covid-19 could force more than half a billion more people into poverty.

By the time the pandemic is over, the charity said, half of the world's population of 7.8 billion people could be living in poverty.

And the politicians' solution is to

throw money at it.

The problem isn't money, it's production.

Yup.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:30 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/jpmorgan-now-sees-economy-contracting-by-40percent-and-unemployment-reaching-20percent.html
JPMorgan now sees economy contracting by 40% in second quarter, and unemployment reaching 20%
JPMorgan economists issued an even more dire forecast, now foreseeing a 40% decline in the nation’s gross domestic product for the second quarter and a surge in April’s unemployment rate to 20% with 25 million jobs lost.

In an earlier forecast, they said second-quarter GDP would be down 25%.

The economists, however, continue to see a second-half recovery, based on the assumption that disruptions from the pandemic fade by June. They note that the number of people seeking unemployment benefits has totaled 16.8 million in just three weeks.

If "disruptions from the pandemic fade by June".

That's a big "if". Because it's not the pandemic that is causing the disruption, it's our response to it.

I'm not convinced that short term lockdowns aren't the least bad option in dealing with this, but we cannot stay in lockdown until the virus had been eradicated. It's simply not a possibility.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 am

jdege wrote:but we cannot stay in lockdown until the virus had been eradicated. It's simply not a possibility.

This has been my thought about this.

We're all going to have to face down the WuFlu virus, sooner or later.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby mc762x54R on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:02 am

This is what I don't understand, it seems like we're ready for the 'surge'.

Walz blathers on about statistics like a person who just learned about them yesterday...he says '95% confidence' over and over.

Still think its all BS because the airports and mass transit were never shut down.
Attachments
2020-04-10 07.59.50.jpg
mc762x54R

Postby jdege on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 am

http://www.action4liberty.com/end_walz_emergency_powers
End Walz' Emergency Powers
Governor Walz is crushing our economy and limiting our freedoms with no endgame or plan to open it back up! It's time to get Minnesota's economy working again by ending his destructive emergency powers.

Will you sign?
jdege

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:34 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jdege wrote:but we cannot stay in lockdown until the virus had been eradicated. It's simply not a possibility.

^^THIS^^
Sweden's response to the pandemic; it is quite different than ours, or Europe's.

Posted 8 April
Herd Immunity: How Sweden’s Coronavirus Response Differs From The Rest of the World

But in Sweden, life seems to go on as normal. Or you know, as close to normal as it could possibly be amidst the COVID-19 global pandemic. Take the streets of the capital city, Stockholm, for instance. Sure, it might not be as bustling and lively as before, but one can still notice signs of (social) life everywhere. People still sit at outdoor cafés, teenagers still hang out in parks, and one can still do his/her errands with little to no hassle...
...As of this writing, the Swedish government maintains its liberal approach that puts a substantial amount of trust to its citizens. In sum: if you’re well and healthy, feel free to go out but keep a safe distance from others; if you’re immuno-compromised and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, then that’s when you don’t go out. When in doubt, go for the responsible choice for the greater good.

For comparison, the current COVID-19 death rate in Sweden is at 40 deaths per million of population. This is actually significantly lower than the Swedish death rate during an annual flu season, which is approximately 80 per million of population. Meanwhile, in similar small European nations like Switzerland, the COVID-19 death rate is almost twice the number in Sweden. In Norway — which has a culture quite like Sweden, since they’re neighbouring countries — there are fewer reported deaths than Sweden. However, they have a higher rate of COVID-19 ICU admissions.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:59 am

jdege wrote:http://www.action4liberty.com/end_walz_emergency_powers
End Walz' Emergency Powers
Governor Walz is crushing our economy and limiting our freedoms with no endgame or plan to open it back up! It's time to get Minnesota's economy working again by ending his destructive emergency powers.

Will you sign?

I signed, but I suspect their petition is just a ruse to solicit money. (I didn't donate)
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby brad3579 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:18 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:

Would you intentionally go into a room full of contagious people?
If so then we could really get this thing moving if you could talk a lot of others into it and get this to the back side of the curve.
I would be willing to pay for peoples airfare to go to New York and help out at one of the hospitals.
I have a friend from Hudson who has a niece that works for Allina Hospital, she volunteered and left to go there last week.
brad3579

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:38 am

brad3579 wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:

Would you intentionally go into a room full of contagious people?
If so then we could really get this thing moving if you could talk a lot of others into it and get this to the back side of the curve.
I would be willing to pay for peoples airfare to go to New York and help out at one of the hospitals.

Would you do the same with the flu? Or the common cold?
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to In The News