Stay at home extended

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Stay at home extended

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:41 am

Obviously there are individuals in the population that have higher stakes in the game and I don't think anyone is saying that they are disposable, however, the collective suffering of the vast majority of the estimated 98.5% who will survive is the question. All societies cannot withstand economic shutdowns while waiting for a vaccine-12 to 18 months. The hard reality is that some will succumb to the virus and that is unfortunate - not sure of the long term willingness of the masses to endure to achieve fractional improvement in survivability. That seems to be the current debate.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:44 am

yukonjasper wrote:Obviously there are individuals in the population that have higher stakes in the game and I don't think anyone is saying that they are disposable, however, the collective suffering of the vast majority of the estimated 98.5% who will survive is the question. All societies cannot withstand economic shutdowns while waiting for a vaccine-12 to 18 months. The hard reality is that some will succumb to the virus and that is unfortunate - not sure of the long term willingness of the masses to endure to achieve fractional improvement in survivability. That seems to be the current debate.

Exactly. Suicide numbers alone blow this virus out of the water. How many extra suicides will this create? How many will die from poverty and nutrition issues wrought by the closing of economies?

Add it up. It is not the virus that we have to worry about.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 am

It's the" if we can save just one life.... " mentality that we are all virtue signaling. The follow up is always "what if it was someone you loved, what extent would you go to to save them... ".

We literally have that question before us and that is how we are all being "judged".
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:52 am

Have you talked to anyone who's tried grocery shopping in Bermuda, these days?
jdege

Postby brad3579 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:52 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
brad3579 wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:This has been my thought about this.

We're all going to have to face down the WuFlu virus, sooner or later.

Would you intentionally go into a room full of contagious people?
If so then we could really get this thing moving if you could talk a lot of others into it and get this to the back side of the curve.
I would be willing to pay for peoples airfare to go to New York and help out at one of the hospitals.

Would you do the same with the flu? Or the common cold?

Not sure what you are trying to say.
I have asthma and have had pneumonia a couple of times it is not very good for me.
And as I said before, unless you have been in the ER as a healthy 30 something and cant breath you would not understand.
brad3579

Postby brad3579 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:53 am

yukonjasper wrote:Obviously there are individuals in the population that have higher stakes in the game and I don't think anyone is saying that they are disposable, however, the collective suffering of the vast majority of the estimated 98.5% who will survive is the question. All societies cannot withstand economic shutdowns while waiting for a vaccine-12 to 18 months. The hard reality is that some will succumb to the virus and that is unfortunate - not sure of the long term willingness of the masses to endure to achieve fractional improvement in survivability. That seems to be the current debate.

Are you willing to take me up on the free airfare?
brad3579

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:54 am

Hmmmm, no. Don't have any Burmuda connections these days.......sounds like a story........
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:58 am

brad3579 wrote:Would you intentionally go into a room full of contagious people?
If so then we could really get this thing moving if you could talk a lot of others into it and get this to the back side of the curve.
I would be willing to pay for peoples airfare to go to New York and help out at one of the hospitals.
I have a friend from Hudson who has a niece that works for Allina Hospital, she volunteered and left to go there last week.

Of course I wouldn't. No rational person wants to get sick. On the flip side, I'm not going to cower in fear in my bunker trying to avoid getting sick.

God bless your niece.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:00 am

Brad, I get it, as an asthmatic you are scared by the thought of catching this and dying. Totally appropriate for you to take every precaution you can to hold out until there is a vaccine. Not sure what you are looking for on a response. I don't think I will die if I get it - I could, but statistically, I don't think I will. It is irrational for me to have or be forced to have the same response as someone who is at a high risk of contracting and dying.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:02 am

brad3579 wrote:

If you can arrange to get me an antibody test, and it confirms my suspicions that I had the virus earlier in the year.
I'll go in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, being in a semi-vulnerable population, I'll do the responsible thing and continue to act prudently, for the sake of myself,and everyone else.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby brad3579 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:09 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
brad3579 wrote:Would you intentionally go into a room full of contagious people?
I have a friend from Hudson who has a niece that works for Allina Hospital, she volunteered and left to go there last week.

Of course I wouldn't. No rational person wants to get sick. On the flip side, I'm not going to cower in fear in my bunker trying to avoid getting sick.

God bless your niece.

I don't cower in fear either, I was at Cub at 6:00 this morning for groceries, also did an online order pick up at Menards and Fleet Farm.
I have been working in the environmental industry for over 30 years and am pretty confident that I can do most things without getting contaminated.
Just getting tired of hearing people who are not in a high risk group talk about how everyone needs to get out there as Glenn Beck would say "and work shoulder to shoulder" to save the economy and some people just might not make it.
Not very many are willing to be in an area where they could risk being exposed though.
brad3579

Postby brad3579 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:14 am

yukonjasper wrote:Brad, I get it, as an asthmatic you are scared by the thought of catching this and dying. Totally appropriate for you to take every precaution you can to hold out until there is a vaccine. Not sure what you are looking for on a response. I don't think I will die if I get it - I could, but statistically, I don't think I will. It is irrational for me to have or be forced to have the same response as someone who is at a high risk of contracting and dying.

You have it quite wrong,not scared just know that the end result would probably not be good.
I still work on job sites just differently then before this.
Would it not be just as irrational for me to have the same response as you?
brad3579

Postby brad3579 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:16 am

xd ED wrote:
brad3579 wrote:

If you can arrange to get me an antibody test, and it confirms my suspicions that I had the virus earlier in the year.
I'll go in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, being in a semi-vulnerable population, I'll do the responsible thing and continue to act prudently, for the sake of myself,and everyone else.

Hey Ed, they assured me that you could get one when you land in New York. lol
brad3579

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:26 am

brad3579 wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Brad, I get it, as an asthmatic you are scared by the thought of catching this and dying. Totally appropriate for you to take every precaution you can to hold out until there is a vaccine. Not sure what you are looking for on a response. I don't think I will die if I get it - I could, but statistically, I don't think I will. It is irrational for me to have or be forced to have the same response as someone who is at a high risk of contracting and dying.

You have it quite wrong,not scared just know that the end result would probably not be good.
I still work on job sites just differently then before this.
Would it not be just as irrational for me to have the same response as you?

Yes your response is rational for you, that does not make our response irrational for us.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:49 am

brad3579 wrote:
xd ED wrote:
brad3579 wrote:

I'll go in a heartbeat.

Hey Ed, they assured me that you could get one when you land in New York. lol

My only issue with your offer is the destination of NYC.
never wanted to go there in the best of times.
If I found it was mutually safe for me to do so, I would volunteer my services locally without hesitation.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

PreviousNext

Return to In The News