DOJ Dismisses Indictment While SCOTUS Petition Was Pending

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

DOJ Dismisses Indictment While SCOTUS Petition Was Pending

Postby jdege on Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:11 am

https://reason.com/2020/04/22/doj-dismisses-indictment-of-machine-prosecution-while-cert-petition-was-pending/
Code: Select all
DOJ Dismisses Indictment of Machine Gun Prosecution While Cert Petition Was Pending

How often does the SG dismiss an indictment while a cert petition is pending, without a confession of error? And is there a connection to the Obamacare case?

The question:

Does Congress's power to tax give it the power to punish the possession of unregistered machineguns under § 5861(d) of the NFA, even though it is impossible to register and pay tax on those machineguns, the law generates no revenue, and the only enforcement mechanism is prosecution?

The government's position:

The government explained in a declaration supporting the application that, "[a]fter consultation with the Solicitor General's Office, the United States Attorney's Office now has determined that dismissal of this criminal case in the interest of justice." D. Ct. Doc. 143, at 5.

They desperately do not want this examined on the merits.
jdege

Re: DOJ Dismisses Indictment While SCOTUS Petition Was Pending

Postby Lumpy on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Dammit, I'm old, sick and have nothing to lose- prison would be a retirement plan for me at this point. I'd volunteer to be the test case if I only knew for certain it would go to the SCOTUS.
Lumpy

Re: DOJ Dismisses Indictment While SCOTUS Petition Was Pending

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:34 am

Very interesting.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News