neighborhood that vowed not to call police being tested

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:14 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-powderhorn-park-neighborhood-progressive-sworn-off-police-911-george-floyd
Minneapolis neighborhood that vowed not to call police in wake of Floyd death is already being tested by 300-strong homeless encampment
Keeping the promise not to call the police has proven more difficult than imagined, as some residents have avoided the park altogether after being catcalled and are fearing for their children’s safety. Others said they had trouble sleeping at night, fearing campers would force their way into their homes.

“I’m not being judgmental,” Carrie Nightshade, 44, told the Times, explaining she no longer allows her children, 12 and 9, to play in the park by themselves. “It’s not personal. It’s just not safe.

Another resident, Mitchell Erickson, said he regretted calling 911 when two black teenagers cornered him a block away from his home, held a gun to his chest and demanded his car keys. Erickson said he mistakenly handed over his house keys, and the frustrated teens left him only to steal another car a few blocks away.
jdege

Re: neighborhood that vowed not to call police being tested

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:24 pm

“I’m not being judgmental,” Carrie Nightshade, 44, told the Times, explaining she no longer allows her children, 12 and 9, to play in the park by themselves. “It’s not personal. It’s just not safe.

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Thank you for sharing this.
gun_fan111v2

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:30 pm

You might well injure yourself facepalming after reading this excerpt, and further commentary made on a Powderhorn neighborhood blog by a woman who was sexually assaulted in the presence of her 2 children in the park about a decade past.

public statement from the family assaulted in the park 11/23

I find it ironic to have had this experience as I currently study
nonviolence, restorative justice and the healing of childhood trauma. I got
to put my studies and my practice of mindfulness into play as the incident
unfolded. The whole time I made a conscious choice to see the boys as human
beings, not to see them as evil or bad. I focus my attention not on the
boys' actions but the pain behind their actions. I see those boys as
hurting, scared children who didn't get the kind of nurture, love and care
that they needed. I try to hold them now in compassion and hope that they
might get the support they need to reconnect to their essential goodness.
With the system of justice that we currently use, I'm hopeless that will
happen.

If you've ever viewed the dysfunction of the Mpls gov't. and asked yourself: "What kind of people vote for these clowns?"
Read the linked statement, and the follow up posts; the thread will provide some insights.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:42 pm

Yup, this is going to work out well.
Holland&Holland

Postby ttousi on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 pm

MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 am

If 50% of people where not as dumb as stones voting would REALLY come out differently.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:23 am

"Children" don't sexually assault people. :x

Where are the militant feminists who say that you should punish rapists by up to and including castration?

Isn't the whole point of all the recent hullaballoo that people should NOT passively accept victimization?
Lumpy

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:31 am

In fact now that I think about it, let's edit that a bit:

I find it ironic to have had this experience as I currently study
nonviolence, restorative justice and the healing of childhood trauma. I got
to put my studies and my practice of mindfulness into play as the incident
unfolded. The whole time I made a conscious choice to see the police as human
beings, not to see them as evil or bad. I focus my attention not on the
police actions but the pain behind their actions. I see those police as
hurting, scared children who didn't get the kind of nurture, love and care
that they needed. I try to hold them now in compassion and hope that they
might get the support they need to reconnect to their essential goodness.
Lumpy

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:54 am

Why are these Progressive Lefties allowing this homelessness to go on? Couldn't they put their philosophy of equality for all and compassion for the socially disadvantaged into motion by inviting them into their homes? Couldn't they band together and liquidate 401K plans or second mortgages to pay for the to have a house? The virtue signaling is not enough, I guess. Even more so when an opportunity to do more than talk about it is right outside your door.
Last edited by yukonjasper on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:20 am

yukonjasper wrote:Why are these Progressive Lefties allowing this homelessness to go on? Couldn't they put their philosophy of equality for all and compassion for the socially disadvantaged into motion by inviting them into their homes? Couldn't they band together and liquidate 401K plans or second mortgages to pay for the to have a house? The virtue signaling is not enough, I guess. Even more so when an opportunity to do more than talk about it is right outside your door.

Fundamental to a true progressive showing one's compassionate is the use of other peoples' money/ real estate/ food/ clothing/ transportation...∞

In the case of the Powderhorn neighborhood, their yard signs actually mean: "ALL ARE WELCOME DOWN THE STREET A BIT"
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:33 pm

xd ED wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Why are these Progressive Lefties allowing this homelessness to go on? Couldn't they put their philosophy of equality for all and compassion for the socially disadvantaged into motion by inviting them into their homes? Couldn't they band together and liquidate 401K plans or second mortgages to pay for the to have a house? The virtue signaling is not enough, I guess. Even more so when an opportunity to do more than talk about it is right outside your door.

Fundamental to a true progressive showing one's compassionate is the use of other peoples' money/ real estate/ food/ clothing/ transportation...∞

In the case of the Powderhorn neighborhood, their yard signs actually mean: "ALL ARE WELCOME DOWN THE STREET A BIT"

Correct. They need YOUR money to do it.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Another resident, Mitchell Erickson, said he regretted calling 911 when two black teenagers cornered him a block away from his home, held a gun to his chest and demanded his car keys. Erickson said he mistakenly handed over his house keys, and the frustrated teens left him only to steal another car a few blocks away.

“Been thinking more about it,” Erickson said in a text message to a reporter. “I regret calling the police. It was my instinct but I wish it hadn’t been. I put those boys in danger of death by calling the cops.”

“Yeah I know and yeah it was scary but the cops didn’t really have much to add after I called them,” he continued. “I haven’t been forced to think like this before. So I would have lost my car. So what? At least no one would have been killed.”

I simply cannot fathom the mind that spoke those words. The brainwashing is so dramatic it is beyond reason. For a man who was assaulted at gunpoint for thugs to steal his car to follow that up with those words is ludicrous.

That line of reasoning can only go to one place... where all crime is simply allowed.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:53 pm

BigBlue wrote:

“Been thinking more about it,” Erickson said in a text message to a reporter. “I regret calling the police. It was my instinct but I wish it hadn’t been. I put those boys in danger of death by calling the cops.”

“Yeah I know and yeah it was scary but the cops didn’t really have much to add after I called them,” he continued. “I haven’t been forced to think like this before. So I would have lost my car. So what? At least no one would have been killed.”

I simply cannot fathom the mind that spoke those words. The brainwashing is so dramatic it is beyond reason. For a man who was assaulted at gunpoint for thugs to steal his car to follow that up with those words is ludicrous.

That line of reasoning can only go to one place... where all crime is simply allowed.

Nope. It might be allowed in that zone but eventually they will run out of victims then it will spread until it meets resistance. That is where it will stop.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News