Record numbers of Americans try to buy guns

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Record numbers of Americans try to buy guns

Postby minnesotatv on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:16 am

MINNEAPOLIS -- Americans are buying guns in record numbers.

The new coronavirus pandemic, civil unrest after the killing of George Floyd and the ensuing movement to defund police are bringing in new buyers worried about their personal safety, according to buyers, store owners and gun experts.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/r ... s-buy-guns
minnesotatv

Re: Record numbers of Americans try to buy guns

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am

Go to Gunbroker and see what AR-15's that used to be about $500 are now selling for. Hint: Sit down BEFORE you see the prices.

Similar high prices for gun powder too. 3 days ago, an 8 lb jug of Varget sold for $345 + shipping.... :bolt:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am

I love how the current narrative always assumes that Floyd was killed.......by a killer.....who murdered him......

Not to derail your thread but that phrase is so pervasive and I don't know that this has been concluded in any court. Died until proven killed- the defense is already having a field day with the political talking heads constantly referring to the event as if it had been adjudicated.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby hammAR on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:37 am

Just remember that a percentage of those purchasing includes lefties too.............
and not necessarily because they are gun rights supporters or for self defense.......... :o
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:05 pm

I bought 2 in the last 4 weeks so add me to the list. Never have enough guns!
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:I bought 2 in the last 4 weeks so add me to the list. Never have enough guns!

What will be my next purchase ???
OldmanFCSA

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:01 pm

If you think you will be able to find a specific firearm, you will be sadly mistaken. Bills in Robbinsdale had had 6 used revolvers. 7 used semi autos. A few hunting shotguns. High priced ARs . High end 1911s only. There was a line of people with long faces.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Sorcerer wrote:If you think you will be able to find a specific firearm, you will be sadly mistaken. Bills in Robbinsdale had had 6 used revolvers. 7 used semi autos. A few hunting shotguns. High priced ARs . High end 1911s only. There was a line of people with long faces.

Nothing wrong with high end 1911s
Holland&Holland

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:17 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:If you think you will be able to find a specific firearm, you will be sadly mistaken. Bills in Robbinsdale had had 6 used revolvers. 7 used semi autos. A few hunting shotguns. High priced ARs . High end 1911s only. There was a line of people with long faces.

Nothing wrong with high end 1911s

True. Nothing wrong with a nice 1911. First time buyers most likely are looking in the $375 to $500 range for there first or second firearm. Jumping into a $1,800 to $2,800 1911 for a first time buyer is most likely not happening.
Sorcerer

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:31 am

I noticed an interesting word in the title....TRY to buy guns. As more non traditional guy buyers and owners bump their heads on the rules and regulations on the road to lawful ownership, I wonder if some of the previously spewed misinformation about the ease of buying a gun will change. Now that the heretofore uninitiated are participating in the process, will the myths be dispelled. Will the light bulb go on for those who took wooly solace in the comfort of government sanctioned and controlled police force that when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

Call me a dreamer but that is my hope. Just like taking down the Berlin wall by giving the citizens a taste of what comforts await when not in the shadows of Communist oppression.......

+
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am

yukonjasper wrote:I noticed an interesting word in the title....TRY to buy guns. As more non traditional guy buyers and owners bump their heads on the rules and regulations on the road to lawful ownership, I wonder if some of the previously spewed misinformation about the ease of buying a gun will change. Now that the heretofore uninitiated are participating in the process, will the myths be dispelled. Will the light bulb go on for those who took wooly solace in the comfort of government sanctioned and controlled police force that when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

Call me a dreamer but that is my hope. Just like taking down the Berlin wall by giving the citizens a taste of what comforts await when not in the shadows of Communist oppression.......

+

I suspect most - to continue the communism metaphor - will accept that they stood in line two hours for their sack of potatoes, so everyone else can do the same.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:23 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:I bought 2 in the last 4 weeks so add me to the list. Never have enough guns!

What will be my next purchase ???

Besides the single shot 410/22 i am trying to sell, wont be selling anymore guns. I still miss that 338!
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:01 pm

xd ED wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:I noticed an interesting word in the title....TRY to buy guns. As more non traditional guy buyers and owners bump their heads on the rules and regulations on the road to lawful ownership, I wonder if some of the previously spewed misinformation about the ease of buying a gun will change. Now that the heretofore uninitiated are participating in the process, will the myths be dispelled. Will the light bulb go on for those who took wooly solace in the comfort of government sanctioned and controlled police force that when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

+

I suspect most - to continue the communism metaphor - will accept that they stood in line two hours for their sack of potatoes, so everyone else can do the same.

They would buy them using the gun show loophole but there are no gun shows because covid.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:

+

They would buy them using the gun show loophole but there are no gun shows because covid.

There's a Gunshow this weekend in Lakeville

Jul 18th – 19th, 2020. Lakeville Gun & Knife Show. Lakeville Hasse Arena. Lakeville, MN.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby daleamn on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:41 am

Grrrrrr. I seriously doubt anyone on this site will shed any tears for a new wanna be gun owner "FORCED" to buy a Dan Wesson Valor or Springfield Armory Range Officer or some other semi-high end 1911.

I lusted after the SA RO since it came out and FINALLY got the coins together to get one a couple years ago (I am VERY happy with my SA RO) but if one of these newbies showed up on the range next to me...well I'd probably show him the two-handed grip that works best for me and let him fire a couple of my reloads and tell him about the joys of reloading JUST LIKE MOST OF THE FOLK ON THIS SITE WOULD.

For the most part gun folk are incredibly welcoming to new people.
daleamn

Return to In The News