Minneapolis police tell residents to obey criminals

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Minneapolis police tell residents to obey criminals

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:43 am

BigDog58 wrote:Although I haven't been inside yet, and only had virtual visits with the doctors, I know I'm going to be going to their offices soon. I'm sure these buildings are posted, but does anyone know whether they wand you before entering the buildings?

Not that lil ole me would EVER Ignore their posted signs :shock:

Whether you ignore the signs at the entrances (assuming there are signs at the entrances) is up to you.

But I'd strongly suggest that you do abide by the signs concerning bringing guns into the MRI rooms.

(Note - that wasn't the patient's gun, it was his bodyguard's, pulled from its holster from across the room.)
jdege

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am

jdege wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Although I haven't been inside yet, and only had virtual visits with the doctors, I know I'm going to be going to their offices soon. I'm sure these buildings are posted, but does anyone know whether they wand you before entering the buildings?

Whether you ignore the signs at the entrances (assuming there are signs at the entrances) is up to you.

But I'd strongly suggest that you do abide by the signs concerning bringing guns into the MRI rooms.

(Note - that wasn't the patient's gun, it was his bodyguard's, pulled from its holster from across the room.)

:rotf: Yep, I know about those MRI body cavity searchers :o
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Lumpy on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:26 am

BigDog58 wrote:I don't go into Minneapolis unless I absolutely have to, which used to be rare. Now that I'm going to have to go to the U of M Medical centers and hospital for treatment, this will change.

Although I haven't been inside yet, and only had virtual visits with the doctors, I know I'm going to be going to their offices soon. I'm sure these buildings are posted, but does anyone know whether they wand you before entering the buildings?

The U has its own campus police who enforce the campus-wide ban on carry, claiming that the U's status as a territory charter university predating the state makes it immune to state preemption.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:31 am

Lumpy wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:I don't go into Minneapolis unless I absolutely have to, which used to be rare. Now that I'm going to have to go to the U of M Medical centers and hospital for treatment, this will change.

Although I haven't been inside yet, and only had virtual visits with the doctors, I know I'm going to be going to their offices soon. I'm sure these buildings are posted, but does anyone know whether they wand you before entering the buildings?

The U has its own campus police who enforce the campus-wide ban on carry, claiming that the U's status as a territory charter university predating the state makes it immune to state preemption.

Aren't we getting rid of them too?
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 am

jdege wrote:(Note - that wasn't the patient's gun, it was his bodyguard's, pulled from its holster from across the room.)

1. I'm skeptical that anyone but the patient would be allowed in the room when the MRI was in use.

2. They didn't even turn off the magnetic field to get the patient out of there before snapping the photo?

I call BS on the story
MJY65

Minneapolis police tell residents to obey criminals

Postby dismal on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:05 pm

The magnetic field only gets turned off when the MRI is decommissioned. Its quite a process to magnetize and to quench the magnet.
dismal

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:07 pm

dismal wrote:The magnetic field only gets turned off when the MRI is decommissioned. Its quite a process to magnetize and to quench the magnet.

I've seen signs on the outside of medical facilities telling people with pacemakers to not approach within ten feet of the wall, because there's an MRI machine on the other side.
jdege

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:13 pm

MJY65 wrote:
jdege wrote:(Note - that wasn't the patient's gun, it was his bodyguard's, pulled from its holster from across the room.)

1. I'm skeptical that anyone but the patient would be allowed in the room when the MRI was in use.

It's not that he was "allowed" as in he ignored the instructions he was given, and entered the room before he could be restrained.

MJY65 wrote:I call BS on the story

jdege

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:25 pm

A General Electric Medical Division facility was destroyed by a contractor leaving a Oxyacetylene torch setup in the room when the MRI machine was started - circa 1991 IIRC.
OldmanFCSA

Postby GoodDoctor on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:07 am

MJY65 wrote:
jdege wrote:
I call BS on the story

There are any number of incidents where metal objects of various sizes have been inadvertently pulled into an MRI. These machines use superconducting magnets chilled in liquid helium to less than 4 degrees Kelvin. In order to turn off the magnet, the helium has to be warmed, and some amount is often lost, which is costly to replace. It costs 10s of thousands of dollars to "quench" a magnet, where the helium is vented in a hurry, and then set it all back up again to get the MRI functional. This drastic step is not performed without considerable study of the circumstances and conditions. A pistol stuck to the magnet chamber is not an emergency, the patient is not in any danger unless some fool tries to extricate the gun before the magnet is properly brought down.
GoodDoctor

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 am

jdege wrote:https://alphanewsmn.com/minneapolis-police-tell-residents-to-obey-criminals-and-be-prepared-to-be-robbed/
Minneapolis police tell residents to obey criminals and ‘be prepared’ to be robbed
Police say that Minneapolis residents should obey criminals and "be prepared" to be robbed amid a wave of violent crime in the city.
Police in the city’s Third Precinct alone have received more than 100 reports of robberies and 20 reports of carjackings in just the last month.

Officials are now telling residents to be ready and willing to comply with the demands of criminals in an email sent to Third Precinct residents.

“Be prepared to give up your cell phone and purse/wallet,” the police said in their email, a copy of which was obtained by Alpha News. The email said citizens should listen to criminals and “do as they say.”

The message warned that “some victims have been maced, dragged, assaulted, and some threatened with a gun.”

Is there a line that they would advise not complying with a criminal....sounds like any type of property crime they are advising compliance, how about rape, murder, assault... any guidance there?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:00 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
jdege wrote:https://alphanewsmn.com/minneapolis-police-tell-residents-to-obey-criminals-and-be-prepared-to-be-robbed/
Minneapolis police tell residents to obey criminals and ‘be prepared’ to be robbed
Police say that Minneapolis residents should obey criminals and "be prepared" to be robbed amid a wave of violent crime in the city.
Police in the city’s Third Precinct alone have received more than 100 reports of robberies and 20 reports of carjackings in just the last month.

Officials are now telling residents to be ready and willing to comply with the demands of criminals in an email sent to Third Precinct residents.

“Be prepared to give up your cell phone and purse/wallet,” the police said in their email, a copy of which was obtained by Alpha News. The email said citizens should listen to criminals and “do as they say.”

The message warned that “some victims have been maced, dragged, assaulted, and some threatened with a gun.”

Is there a line that they would advise not complying with a criminal....sounds like any type of property crime they are advising compliance, how about rape, murder, assault... any guidance there?

I heard for all crimes you are supposed to vote democrat. Oh wait, are we talking about a different type of assault?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:16 pm

yukonjasper wrote:

Squeal like a pig, you sure do have a purty mouth.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Sadly, women have been (figuratively) getting the shaft on self-defense shootings involving rape, with courts consistently ruling that once a rapist succeeds, shooting him is revenge not defense. :evil:
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Lumpy wrote:Sadly, women have been (figuratively) getting the shaft on self-defense shootings involving rape, with courts consistently ruling that once a rapist succeeds, shooting him is revenge not defense. :evil:

Would they prefer we cut their balls off and let them bleed out?
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to In The News