Judge Allows 21 Businesses to Sue Seattle Over CHOP

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Judge Allows 21 Businesses to Sue Seattle Over CHOP

Postby jdege on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:33 am

https://www.newsweek.com/federal-judge-allows-21-businesses-sue-seattle-over-harms-caused-chop-1539990
Federal Judge Allows 21 Businesses to Sue Seattle Over Harms Caused by CHOP
On Friday, a federal district court judge allowed a lawsuit brought by 21 businesses against the city of Seattle to proceed, despite the city's attempt to have it dismissed.

The lawsuit accuses the city of harming local business owners by allowing the existence of Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP), a self-declared autonomous zone that was established and occupied by racial justice protestors from June 8 to July 1.

If this looks like it will make money for the lawyers (and the plaintiffs, but making money for the lawyers is more important), you can be certain we'll see lawyers in Minneapolis following suit.
jdege

Re: Judge Allows 21 Businesses to Sue Seattle Over CHOP

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 am

My first thought was good, I hope they take them to the cleaners. Then I came to the realization that the number of tax payers is too far outnumbered by the deadbeats and it won't make any meaningful difference in governance.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: Judge Allows 21 Businesses to Sue Seattle Over CHOP

Postby xd ED on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:31 am

Just because a judge allows the suit to continue doesn't eliminate sovereign immunity enjoyed by governments in most situations.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to In The News