Cabelas Being Sued. Bad new for all gun stores

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Cabelas Being Sued. Bad new for all gun stores

Postby jdege on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:58 pm

The critical question is how, exactly, are the NY laws written?

Remember - according to MN Statute as written, anything firing .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire is technically a "BB Gun".

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.7181
624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
§Subdivision 1.Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.
(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.

Did the NY legislators have a greater understanding of reality the MN legislators who wrote the above?

I'd not hold my breath.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:08 pm

I suspect who sits on the jury will have a far greater impact on this case than whatever the NY legislators intended.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Cabela's will lose this lawsuit for no other reason than they sold handgun ammo (45ACP) to an underage individual contrary to NY law.

If this was a big of a deal as it's made out to be, the left would be howling it from every rooftop.
Have to agree, unfortunately. Cabelas used a shaky justification- they were selling .45 "carbine" ammo- and it didn't hold water in NY state. I can only hope no one tries to take this precedent any further.
Lumpy

Postby LarryP on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:55 am

Like the conservative chief justice does?

BigBlue wrote:
LarryP wrote:Yes I'm worried. When biden takes away the legal protection of gun mfgr's. The coming lawsuits will bankrupt them. Same with ammo lawsuits. Most Stores won't carry ammo if Cabela looses. Who knows how ammo mfgr's will fare. I'm sure the anti gunners are lined up waiting to sue every store/mfgr out of business. :( The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with ammo and legal liability

A president doesn't make laws. The dems don't have enough support to ram legislation through. And we have a supreme court that is not yet overloaded with liberal activist justices, so we stand a good chance of upholding the Constitution.
LarryP

Postby LarryP on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:58 am

I wish they would show some backbone to. They have become wimps on most issues, afraid to confront anyone

Holland&Holland wrote:
Rowdy Roddy wrote:
When biden takes away the legal protection of gun mfgr's.

If this were possible do you not think Obama/Biden would not have already done so?

Well since the media is proclaiming Biden as the 2nd coming of Christ, who knows what “miracles” he will perform for the leftist agenda. I wish our republican Senators had a stronger backbone.
LarryP

Previous

Return to In The News