New ATF Power Play Could Impact Millions Of Gun Owners

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:24 am

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2020/12/17/atf-power-play-impact-millions/
The proposed rule change won’t be officially published until Friday, but a draft document of the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco, and Explosives’ new plans for pistols with stabilizing braces has been published to the Federal Register, and gun owners, Second Amendment activists, and manufacturers of the devices are already crying foul.

In the ATF’s proposed rule change, the agency outlines several supposedly objective factors that will determine whether a handgun equipped with a pistol stabilizing brace is considered a pistol or a short-barreled rifle that must be registered under the National Firearms Act.

The problem is that while the ATF outlines what those many factors are (caliber; weight; length; attachment method; and even after-market accessories like scopes and sights, to name a few), the agency doesn’t provide gun owners with any specifics that would take the guessing out of whether or not the ATF would consider the gun a pistol or an item that must be registered under the National Firearms Act.
jdege

Re: New ATF Power Play Could Impact Millions Of Gun Owners

Postby LarryP on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:37 am

The next four years will see a incredible onslaught against guns. They'll come up with more new laws/ regulations than ever before. it will be ugly to say the least
LarryP

Postby Tronster on Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:19 am

The trap is how they are floating the idea of waiving the tax stamp if they deem that braced AR pistols are actually SBR's. Whole lotta dummies jumping for joy about "Yay, tax free sbr's!" The idiots don't realize that it's a test run to see just how willing gun owners are to be put on a list if it costs them nothing up front. Next they'll try to amend the NFA to include a new category of "semiauto with detachable magazine" and they will "graciously" waive the tax stamp again.
Tronster

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:33 am

When it comes to confiscation, these idiots going for the free tax stamp will be first to have there guns removed. Since the brace has been approved for awhile, the legal challenges should stop the retarded ATF in there tracks. Here is the letter for your reading enjoyment, or confusion:
https://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2 ... -16-20.pdf
Bearcatrp

Postby TSKNIGHT on Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Can't say I like the ATF's about face, but...
This really doesn't surprise me much. With the proliferation of braces and some of the blatant advertising, a person HAD to know that the ATF would address it at some point.

I built a 10.5" AR with a Blade Tech Shockwave brace for the specific fact that I am able to handle it with one hand while my other hand is occupied with a cane.
Coupled with a basic 2-point sling it works quite well. Could probably do the same thing without the brace, but the brace makes indexing so much easier and repeatable.
It's primary role is HD, but around the farm HD is just as apt to be coyote as two legged critters.
TSKNIGHT

Postby hammAR on Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:58 pm

LarryP wrote:The next four years will see a incredible onslaught against guns. They'll come up with more new laws/ regulations than ever before. it will be ugly to say the least

They know that - consider that as part of their plan which is to bankrupt and eliminate donor funding to those (GOA, SAF, FPC, etc.) that will file lawsuits against their new laws/regulations..... :roll:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:59 pm

TSKNIGHT wrote:Can't say I like the ATF's about face, but...
This really doesn't surprise me much. With the proliferation of braces and some of the blatant advertising, a person HAD to know that the ATF would address it at some point.

I built a 10.5" AR with a Blade Tech Shockwave brace for the specific fact that I am able to handle it with one hand while my other hand is occupied with a cane.
Coupled with a basic 2-point sling it works quite well. Could probably do the same thing without the brace, but the brace makes indexing so much easier and repeatable.
It's primary role is HD, but around the farm HD is just as apt to be coyote as two legged critters.

Ya, I mean those bootleggers selling all their moonshine out of car trunks need to be stopped.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Am I correct that if you forego the brace it's a pistol, no problem?

Also, refresh my memory: what provision gave the federal government authority to enact a stamp tax on some guns? Why not all of them? Is there anything the fed couldn't put a stamp tax on?
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Lumpy wrote:Am I correct that if you forego the brace it's a pistol, no problem? In theory, depends on what the ATF decides to do to law abiding gun owners. They only like it when mexican drug cartels have guns

Also, refresh my memory: what provision gave the federal government authority to enact a stamp tax on some guns? NFAWhy not all of them? NFA or see aboveIs there anything the fed couldn't put a stamp tax on? Your guess is as good as anyone's
Holland&Holland

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Rowdy Roddy

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:05 pm

Gotta love bureaucrats who write their own legislation.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:12 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Gotta love bureaucrats who write their own legislation.

You'll never beat the devil on a technicality.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:39 am

Lumpy wrote:Am I correct that if you forego the brace it's a pistol, no problem?

Also, refresh my memory: what provision gave the federal government authority to enact a stamp tax on some guns? Why not all of them? Is there anything the fed couldn't put a stamp tax on?

The National Fireams Act, or NFA, passed in 1934 and amended several times generally defines what requires a tax stamp or not. In general, it is fairly plainly written and I don't think ATF can just be ordered to add semiautomatics to it, but that of course hinges on a few things. In the 90's, 12 gauge street sweeper shotguns which had previously been title I guns were added to it under the "sporting purposes" clause for guns with larger an .50 bore. I think that was the Clinton administration that did that; existing owners were allowed to register them and keep them but I don't recall if the registration was free or not. Under the NFA definition of machine gun there is some wording about "readily restored to shoot" more than 1 round with each pull of the trigger. Google it for exact phrasing but that's the gist. If ATF were to decide that AR-15's (or whatever semi autos) were readily convertible, they could declare them all machine guns. BUT, since 1986 new machines are not allowed for civilian ownership, that would probably result in confiscation and not just the $200 tax stamp. So, in my completely unprofessional opinion, a new law would have to be passed to make semi autos NFA without just plain confiscation. But it is politics with rabidly anti-gun democrats, quisling spineless republicans, and a supreme court that continues to dodge the issue at every turn so "they" could certainly declare all semi's machine guns and demand owners turn them in, just like bump stocks, but I find that unlikely.

I'm not going to worry about it too much until it happens because it won't do any good.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Return to In The News