Ohio House passes ‘stand your ground’ bill

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Ohio House passes ‘stand your ground’ bill

Postby jdege on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:47 pm

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/12/ohio-house-passes-stand-your-ground-bill-after-emotional-debate.html
Ohio House passes ‘stand your ground’ bill after emotional debate
Under existing Ohio law, people are justified in using deadly force in self-defense so long as they aren’t the aggressor, believe they are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and are in their home or vehicle.

The amendment would remove the “home or vehicle” requirement, and instead state that the defendant need only be in a place where they lawfully have the right to be.
jdege

Re: Ohio House passes ‘stand your ground’ bill

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:19 am

We need that here. To bad tards run this state.
Bearcatrp

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Might be time to consider moving to Ohio.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Tronster on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:16 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Might be time to consider moving to Ohio.

...or the Czech Republic?
Tronster

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:45 am

Yes, anywhere else as we descend into the Liberal Hell.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby hammAR on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:15 am

Lets wait to see if Gov Deadwine signs it..... :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:38 am

hammAR wrote:Lets wait to see if Gov Deadwine signs it..... :?

True.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ironbear on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:24 pm

Not sure if Ohio still would be the best place to go. I remember Ohio being specifically mentioned in Andrew Branca's book, The Law of Self-Defense, so I went looking.

To paraphrase, in forty-nine states, the prosecutor has the responsibility of "burden of proof" for self-defense cases. The prosecution must prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that it wasn't self-defense; and then prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that a crime was committed, to prosecute. In Ohio, the burden lies with the defendant, who has to prove "by a preponderance of evidence" (more likely than not) that it was self-defense. [Law of Self-Defense, Andrew Branca, 2017, pg. 36]

I don't know if anything has changed since the 2017 issue of my copy, but them having to "prove that you are guilty"; would be better than you having to "prove you are innocent" .

I don't know if this law has broader implications than "stand your ground", but the new law may be an effort to bring Ohio law into closer conformance with the rest of the country.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Ironbear on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Well whatever they put in the coffee over there in Ohio, they should spread it around. Ohio signed into law, free speech protections on campus'. Looks pretty bipartisan too.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2020/12/ohio-bans-campus-free-speech-zones-and-enhances-protections-for-other-forms-of-expression/

The title kind of threw me first. "Bans Campus Free Speech Zone", means they can't create restricted "zones" where freedom of speech is allowed. All campus is fee speech.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Return to In The News