Buffalo Shooting--Star Tribune

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Buffalo Shooting--Star Tribune

Postby daleamn on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:02 pm

The Star Tribune had a gun control article after the Buffalo shooting. I think this link should get you to it.
https://www.startribune.com/buffalo-cli ... fresh=true

I was struck by the comments to the article by one individual who prolifically comments on all things gun related.
we need to and can eliminate the availability of guns in the illegal market

So I guess we need to pass some laws to eliminate the illegal marketing of guns.

I DEFY anyone to stand against such "common sense" gun laws!
I also DEFY anyone to UNDERSTAND such "common sense" gun laws!

Note: Several people on this site have used the term "illegaler" which sums this up quite nicely. It's a term I really like and give kudos to whoever came up with it first.
daleamn

Re: Buffalo Shooting--Star Tribune

Postby daleamn on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm

I should also mention in the Star Tribune article about the Buffalo shooting there was a ray of REAL common sense from Rob Doar.

"Even in a perfect world, had all of the court orders been filled, had he had a red flag law, had he even turned in all his guns, he still would have been able to inflict a large amount of harm through other means because we were focused on the singular tool rather than the individual in crisis," Doar said.

I have always, and still do, wonder what the actual physical process would be like when LE came for your guns under a Red Flag-Gun Confiscation order. Would they search your house into every nook and cranny where something like a Ruger LCP (very small gun) could be kept? That would take a LOT of time and effort. Would they take all your clothes out of all your drawers and closets to do the search? Would they put them back afterwards? Would they take off all you heating vent grills? Toss your bed? Take all the food out of your freezer? All the pots and pans from your cupboards? Inquiring minds (mine anyway) would like to know.

I'd like to go to my legislators and give them a blue dummy gun like a Ruger LCP and then tell them to take it home and hide it and imagine some LE officer trying to find it.
daleamn

Postby crbutler on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:49 pm

Heck, the deal I’d like to see is for someone to hide the blue fake in a legislators house and see what they think after the LEO’s search the place to find it like they would in a real life case- no warning a team shows up, pull them out and tears the place up and then shows them what they found and then (for fun) tell them they can have it back (along with a $1000 voucher so they try) once a court lets them have their property back because they proved them not a problem.

This system is so rife with abuses.

One of my uncles hallucinated with the drugs they were treating his cancer with.

The police actually did get him back all his guns and ammo in a few weeks. It actually wasn’t as bad as some have had the experience of.

Every last one was rusty and dinged up from the stay in storage... I know. I inherited them. He only had about a dozen, mostly hunting shotguns.
crbutler

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:33 pm

daleamn wrote:I should also mention in the Star Tribune article about the Buffalo shooting there was a ray of REAL common sense from Rob Doar.

"Even in a perfect world, had all of the court orders been filled, had he had a red flag law, had he even turned in all his guns, he still would have been able to inflict a large amount of harm through other means because we were focused on the singular tool rather than the individual in crisis," Doar said.

I have always, and still do, wonder what the actual physical process would be like when LE came for your guns under a Red Flag-Gun Confiscation order. Would they search your house into every nook and cranny where something like a Ruger LCP (very small gun) could be kept? That would take a LOT of time and effort. Would they take all your clothes out of all your drawers and closets to do the search? Would they put them back afterwards? Would they take off all you heating vent grills? Toss your bed? Take all the food out of your freezer? All the pots and pans from your cupboards? Inquiring minds (mine anyway) would like to know.

I'd like to go to my legislators and give them a blue dummy gun like a Ruger LCP and then tell them to take it home and hide it and imagine some LE officer trying to find it.

Casually "hiding' a firearm in a home would be one thing. If one has taken time to conceal firearms/ ammunition, it would require the residence be pretty much destroyed to thoroughly seek out every possible hiding spot in a typically constructed house.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm

I went to pickup an AR-15 lower (stripped) today, and was first placed in "further review" for about 15 minutes. Then the NICS came back "Delayed".

What total ********. I have Carry Permits from two states, but I'm guessing the "Buffalo Shooting" makes me a suspect, since I live in Minnesota.

Maybe I shouldn't have bought that T-74 Tank a few years back :shock:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:04 pm

xd ED wrote:
daleamn wrote:I should also mention in the Star Tribune article about the Buffalo shooting there was a ray of REAL common sense from Rob Doar.

Casually "hiding' a firearm in a home would be one thing. If one has taken time to conceal firearms/ ammunition, it would require the residence be pretty much destroyed to thoroughly seek out every possible hiding spot in a typically constructed house.

It would be a numbers game for them. Like the war on drugs.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:48 pm

And Rob's comments nail the heart of the issue. The problem is ALWAYS the bad person and why they got to the point they were at. The gun is a tool that can be substituted by many other things. Only be finding ways to keep people from getting to that point of violence or desperation or instilling in them the repulsion for doing harm can violence be prevented. Look at the UK. They're down to outlawing pointy kitchen knives and still have crime.
BigBlue

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:00 am

BigDog58 wrote:I went to pickup an AR-15 lower (stripped) today, and was first placed in "further review" for about 15 minutes. Then the NICS came back "Delayed".

What total ********. I have Carry Permits from two states, but I'm guessing the "Buffalo Shooting" makes me a suspect, since I live in Minnesota.

Maybe I shouldn't have bought that T-74 Tank a few years back :shock:

I'd be willing to bet the NICS system was overwhelmed more than usual yesterday.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 am

BigBlue wrote:

And Rob's comments nail the heart of the issue. The problem is ALWAYS the bad person and why they got to the point they were at. The gun is a tool that can be substituted by many other things. Only be finding ways to keep people from getting to that point of violence or desperation or instilling in them the repulsion for doing harm can violence be prevented. Look at the UK. They're down to outlawing pointy kitchen knives and still have crime.

I have this vision of a red flag warrant search:

turning a house upside down looking for a pistol, after walking through the garage, past a case of empty wine bottles, a bag of rags, and a can of gasoline...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby daleamn on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:50 am

I have this vision of a red flag warrant search:
turning a house upside down looking for a pistol, after walking through the garage, past a case of empty wine bottles, a bag of rags, and a can of gasoline...

This^^^.

I think that would make a great political cartoon. In the garage I'd also put a machete, some knives, some fertilizer bags, a pressure cooker or two on the work bench with some short pieces of pipe, some wire and a couple partially disassembled alarm clocks and a big ol' SUV or pickup truck with duals. Any artists in the group?
daleamn

Postby BigBlue on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:17 pm

daleamn wrote:I think that would make a great political cartoon. In the garage I'd also put a machete, some knives, some fertilizer bags, a pressure cooker or two on the work bench with some short pieces of pipe, some wire and a couple partially disassembled alarm clocks and a big ol' SUV or pickup truck with duals. Any artists in the group?

And a grill with a propane tank.

You can't avoid violence by controlling/eliminating objects. You have to control/eliminate the bad person.
BigBlue

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Well I received a nice surprise today. While on my way back home from Ahlman's, after cleaning off their shelf of that pesky old Reloader-50 Powder, another 7 pounds :o my FFL called just as I was passing through Lakeville, and said he had received a "proceed" in regards to my new AR-15 Lower.

So, I "scored" twice today. Gun powder to feed my 50 BMG, which I can begin load development once OldmanFCSA gets the new barrel chambered and on the action. Once the weather gets above 40°F of course.

And now, I have to build the lower, and start processing the .223 brass and begin loading rounds.

I'm a fairly happy puppy right now.

Now, if I can just find my old respirator from my old Airplane Fixin' Job, I could go to the 2nd Saturday Breakfast and see good friends. My weekend would be complete. :booyah:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby bstrawse on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:03 pm

I will pass that along to Rob - he'll enjoy reading that you liked it!

I sat in Rob's office and watched him talk with the media for about 90 minutes straight this week - WCCO, KSTP, KARE-11, Star Tribune, and more. He's a great asset to our cause as the Political Director for the MN Gun Owners Caucus.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Return to In The News