Did gun permit holder turn argument deadly or was it self-de

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Did gun permit holder turn argument deadly or was it self-de

Postby jdege on Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:50 pm

https://www.twincities.com/2021/02/25/did-gun-permit-holder-turn-argument-deadly-or-was-it-self-defense-st-paul-murder-trial-begins/
Did gun permit holder turn argument deadly or was it self-defense? St. Paul murder trial begins
On a spring night, decisions were made “based on appearance, bias and just a complete misreading of a situation based on the anger that had gradually been increasing as a result of a road rage incident,” Assistant Ramsey County Attorney Hassan Tahir told a jury in opening statements in the murder trial of Anthony James Trifiletti.

But Trifiletti, who had a permit to carry a gun, acted in self-defense, said Thomas Shiah, the 25-year-old’s attorney. He faced a “justifiable threat” because he thought Lewis had a gun and was going to shoot him; he was scared and believed he was going to die, according to Shiah.
jdege

Re: Did gun permit holder turn argument deadly or was it self-de

Postby leftoverture on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:30 am

Hard to say what really happened without hearing the full story, but road rage incidents are never good. I always try to remember to keep myself under control when another driver does something stupid or thinks I did. Hard to defend the "unwilling participant" aspect if you gesture back or otherwise participate in what could be described as escalation.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
leftoverture

Postby Ironbear on Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:43 pm

I often repeat John Correia's line to myself... "Calm is a superpower".
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby warrlac on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:58 pm

Judge Thomas Gilligan was forced to declare a mistrial on March 8, 2021. The jury deliberated for 3 days (and thought about it over the weekend) but could not come to a unanimous verdict.

The jury was given three separate counts that it could have found the defendant guilty of. They could not agree however, and obviously at least one juror felt the claim of self defense was justified. The State indicates that it will seek a new trial.
warrlac

Return to In The News