demographics of shootings upswing

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

demographics of shootings upswing

Postby Lumpy on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:02 pm

My brother insists that gang-related shootings have remained steady and that the uptick of recent shootings have almost all been "rage" shootings by individuals with no previous priors. It is beyond my resources to research this enough to refute or confirm. Does anyone have some reliable cites?
Lumpy

Re: demographics of shootings upswing

Postby xd ED on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Lumpy wrote:My brother insists that gang-related shootings have remained steady and that the uptick of recent shootings have almost all been "rage" shootings by individuals with no previous priors. It is beyond my resources to research this enough to refute or confirm. Does anyone have some reliable cites?

Anecdotally only, it seems most of those who get arrested have long rap sheets and were continuously given lenient punishment.
Also cops will say that a few criminals are causing most of the crime. This would appear to have been borne out earlier this year in St Paul, when Police arrested a few known carjackers at the height of the problem, which then went to near zero for a time.
I'm curious as to what evidence your bother has to prove, or even suggest his assertion.
Whether someone is, or isn't in a gang, is largely a matter of crime statisticians, and many in crime ridden gov'ts tend to play down organized crime problems.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Chunkychuck on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 pm

You could count the shootings in the major gang active cities vs. everywhere else. Probably not real accurate but maybe a start.
Chunkychuck

Postby daleamn on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:51 pm

That would be an interesting statistic to have, too bad the DICKEY AMENDMENT prevents any research into gun violence.
Oh wait!!! IT DOESN'T!!!
FBI, DOJ and LOTS of Government and Non-government groups research this stuff ALL THE TIME.
AND THE CDC COULD TOO IF THEY WANTED TOO.
The CDC just can't use money to push gun control.
(But I TOTALLY disagree with the idea that "gun violence" or ANY kind of violence is a DISEASE.)
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:33 pm

He is so right, I mean the number of shootings in Nisswa is through the roof while mpls has become so family friendly.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:08 am

If there were any creditable evidence of this the legacy media would be screaming about it every chance they got.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Return to In The News