Cuomo issues gun crackdown through ‘first-ever state of emer

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Cuomo issues gun crackdown through ‘first-ever state of emer

Postby jdege on Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:23 pm

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/07/ny-gov-cuomo-issues-gun-crackdown-through-first-ever-state-of-emergency-for-gun-violence/
NY Gov. Cuomo issues gun crackdown through ‘first-ever state of emergency for gun violence’
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency for gun violence on Tuesday, marking the first of its kind ever enacted in the United States, the governor’s office said.

[...]

In a statement issued Tuesday, Gov. Cuomo said his office would tackle “systemic injustices” related to gun violence in New York “just like we did with COVID.”
jdege

Re: Cuomo issues gun crackdown through ‘first-ever state of emer

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:14 pm

From what I've read it seems most of the gun violence is black on black.

So, would the solution be encourging white on white shootings?

This whole equity stuff has me confused.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:25 pm

If it’s “just like we did with covid”, expect allot more deaths.
Bearcatrp

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:37 pm

If it's like he did with Covid he can let them keep their guns and lock all together and just wait and see who lives through the lockdown.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Grayskies wrote:From what I've read it seems most of the gun violence is black on black.

If a white guy becomes a gang banger is he guilty of cultural appropriation, perpetrating systematic racism by using his white privilege to take jobs from others, or being the social change?
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:32 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Grayskies wrote:From what I've read it seems most of the gun violence is black on black.

If a white guy becomes a gang banger is he guilty of cultural appropriation, perpetrating systematic racism by using his white privilege to take jobs from others, or being the social change?

That makes my head hurt!
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:19 am

According to Cuomo’s office, the emergency declaration requires the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services to “gather and share incident-level data” from local law enforcement on gun violence and invests almost $140 million in intervention, prevention and jobs programs.

In other words, He's going to bypass his state legislature to spend more money doing the same failed policies he's already been doing.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:45 am

jdege wrote:https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/07/ny-gov-cuomo-issues-gun-crackdown-through-first-ever-state-of-emergency-for-gun-violence/
NY Gov. Cuomo issues gun crackdown through ‘first-ever state of emergency for gun violence’
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency for gun violence on Tuesday, marking the first of its kind ever enacted in the United States, the governor’s office said.

[...]

In a statement issued Tuesday, Gov. Cuomo said his office would tackle “systemic injustices” related to gun violence in New York “just like we did with COVID.”

I'll add that Governor Walz (or any MN Governor) cannot do things like this because the Governor is specifically prohibited from taking actions against guns, gun shops, permit holders, and several related topics using emergency powers due to a 2015 bill that we were able to push through a divided legislature (DFL Senate, GOP House) and convince Governor Dayton to sign.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:04 pm

bstrawse wrote:
jdege wrote:https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/07/ny-gov-cuomo-issues-gun-crackdown-through-first-ever-state-of-emergency-for-gun-violence/

[...]

I'll add that Governor Walz (or any MN Governor) cannot do things like this because the Governor is specifically prohibited from taking actions against guns, gun shops, permit holders, and several related topics using emergency powers due to a 2015 bill that we were able to push through a divided legislature (DFL Senate, GOP House) and convince Governor Dayton to sign.

Bryan

Bryan, getting this passed into law was Great Foresight. I'm guessing it won't be long before the Antigun crowd research this, and start screaming that it needs to be "fixed".
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:45 am

It will be called the right wing extremist loophole. You know because it stops a dictatorship from doing what they feel is best for the people.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:20 am

BigDog58 wrote:Bryan, getting this passed into law was Great Foresight. I'm guessing it won't be long before the Antigun crowd research this, and start screaming that it needs to be "fixed".

IIRC, this law was passed in response to the gun confiscation shenanigans in New Orleans post Katrina.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:06 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Bryan, getting this passed into law was Great Foresight. I'm guessing it won't be long before the Antigun crowd research this, and start screaming that it needs to be "fixed".

IIRC, this law was passed in response to the gun confiscation shenanigans in New Orleans post Katrina.

You are correct! That argument worked with everyone, including the DFL.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:07 am

Most interestingly, they didn't bring it up the past ~20 months or so.

My favorite part of this though was watching Senator Ron Latz argue in favor of 5 pro-gun bills on the Senate floor to be included as a part of the Omnibus that year as the DFL controlled the Senate at the time.

b
bstrawse

Return to In The News