Sig P320 lawsuits

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Sig P320 lawsuits

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am

Anyone familiar with what is going on with this pistol? I saw a quick piece on TV about a police officer who shot herself and the found this article. I am always suspicious that people are refusing to admit they screwed up so they sue to try to cash in.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/02/19/sig-sauer-faces-10-million-lawsuit-over-p320-pistol-after-alleged-accidental-discharge-wounds.html
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Sig P320 lawsuits

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:20 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Anyone familiar with what is going on with this pistol? I saw a quick piece on TV about a police officer who shot herself and the found this article. I am always suspicious that people are refusing to admit they screwed up so they sue to try to cash in.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/02/19/sig-sauer-faces-10-million-lawsuit-over-p320-pistol-after-alleged-accidental-discharge-wounds.html

If it is as alleged though that would be quite a concern.
Holland&Holland

Postby minnesotatv on Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Detective sues Sig Sauer after she says her holstered P320 handgun nearly killed her

Det. Brittney Hilton had no idea she had just been shot. All she said she felt at first
was an incredible amount of pain, and a “very sick feeling.”

"“I carry Sig. I own Sig. I just don’t own a [P]320, nor would I ever,” he told ABC News,
referring to all models of the P320 pistol, including the upgraded version."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/detective-sue ... s_card_hed
minnesotatv

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:41 pm

How does a pistol with a striker-fired mechanism just go off without the trigger being pulled?

I'd like to know.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:How does a pistol with a striker-fired mechanism just go off without the trigger being pulled?

I'd like to know.

Sear fails and the spring sends the firing pin into the primer. Not sure on the sig but not all striker fired pistols are like flocks where the final tension on the spring is achieved with the trigger pull. Striker fire has been arround fir a long time. Not all done well.
Holland&Holland

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:27 am

So from what I gather the issue here is mostly that Sig issued a "voluntary upgrade program" instead of a recall? Or maybe I'm missing something.
grimbeaver

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:03 am

Maybe Sig need to come out with an extra heavy NY trigger like Glock did.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby minnesotatv on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:07 am

grimbeaver wrote:So from what I gather the issue here is mostly that Sig issued a "voluntary upgrade program" instead of a recall? Or maybe I'm missing something.

in the article it states the some of the upgraded pistols, and apparently some of the
brand new ones out of the box are exhibiting the same malfunction as the older ones.

maybe SIG should collect them all and melt them down.
minnesotatv

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 am

grimbeaver wrote:So from what I gather the issue here is mostly that Sig issued a "voluntary upgrade program" instead of a recall? Or maybe I'm missing something.

The article stated it was an upgraded firearm.
Holland&Holland

Postby DanM on Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:27 pm

So let me get this straight.... She puts her gun with a "worn down rounded sear" according to her Facebook posting, in a discredited holster (Blackhawk Serpa) - that our own Steel Shoots won't allow on the range, in a huge handbag full of stuff that could get in the holster/trigger guard - with the Serpa retention post already in the trigger guard, then can't understand how it could discharge when she swings her huge handbag full of stuff containing her gun with a worn sear in a Serpa holster that's free to move around inside the handbag, as it stops suddenly against her leg. :roll:

"Your Honor, the jury finds that this is a case of negligent discharge brought on by the plaintiff and recommend that the case be dismissed."

Link to Good Morning America piece: https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/news/video/lawsuit-alleges-p320-handgun-design-manufacturing-flaws-79615711
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:32 am

That (heavy edited) GMA piece sure when out of it's way to imply the SIG was dangerous. Having never seen any firearm which just goes off by itself, anyone who has one of these, and doesn't feel comfortable with it, can send it to me for further evaluation. :lol:
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:12 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:That (heavy edited) GMA piece sure when out of it's way to imply the SIG was dangerous. Having never seen any firearm which just goes off by itself, anyone who has one of these, and doesn't feel comfortable with it, can send it to me for further evaluation. :lol:

Close. I had one of the Rem 700s that had issues. Really thought it was BS but was at the range and took it off safe and it went off. Now I was behind the gun and it was pointed down range (even hit paper with it) but I swear to you my finger was not on the trigger. Scared the heck out of me because I have 2 other 700's that my 2 underage boys were hunting with at the time. Midway USA got an order for 3 timneys from my Iphone before I even left the range.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:13 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:That (heavy edited) GMA piece sure when out of it's way to imply the SIG was dangerous. Having never seen any firearm which just goes off by itself, anyone who has one of these, and doesn't feel comfortable with it, can send it to me for further evaluation. :lol:

Close. I had one of the Rem 700s that had issues. Really thought it was BS but was at the range and took it off safe and it went off. Now I was behind the gun and it was pointed down range (even hit paper with it) but I swear to you my finger was not on the trigger. Scared the heck out of me because I have 2 other 700's that my 2 underage boys were hunting with at the time. Midway USA got an order for 3 timneys from my Iphone before I even left the range.

You still did something to it to get it to (mis)fire. There's lots of videos on youtube of guys smacking P320's with hammers or dropping them and getting them to go off. I bet I could get my Series 70 Colt to go off if I hit it the right way with a hammer.

On a side note: I have a Winchester M70 target rifle. The trigger is set so light that it has gone off when releasing the safety. It still has never fired by itself.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Grayskies on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:38 am

The gun doesn't have a trigger safely like a Glock, does it have some other kind of safety to prevent the firing pin from striking the primer when gun is subjected to a jarring blow?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby DanM on Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:10 am

Grayskies wrote:The gun doesn't have a trigger safely like a Glock, does it have some other kind of safety to prevent the firing pin from striking the primer when gun is subjected to a jarring blow?

The P320 has both a striker safety and a disconnect safety.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Return to In The News