Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby jdege on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:26 pm

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/gwendolynsims/2021/10/21/breaking-actor-alec-baldwin-kills-one-person-wounds-another-when-prop-gun-misfires-n1525915
BREAKING: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another When Prop-Gun 'Misfires'
CBSLA reports that the sheriff’s office in Santa Fe, New Mexico, “confirms that two individuals were shot on the set of ‘Rust.'” Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, and director Joel Souza, 48, were each shot when a prop-gun was discharged by actor Alec Baldwin, 68, during filming.


Hutchins was rushed by helicopter to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Souza was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for his injuries.

According to TMZ, “Alec Baldwin was filming a scene for a movie that required someone to fire a gun loaded with blanks, but when the gun discharged either shrapnel or a bullet hit two people on set. The incident happened Thursday afternoon on location in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where Baldwin “is filming a new western he’s starring in called “Rust” at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a movie ranch.”


Blank-firing guns very much can be dangerous.

The usual comments about firearm safety don't, I think, apply to this. I can't envision a prop gun malfunctioning in such a way that aiming would have any relevance.
User avatar
jdege
 
Posts: 4480 [View]
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:07 am

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:25 am

I'm sorry. it wasn't a "prop-gun" that misfired. It was a real gun that someone either accidentally or intentionally loaded with real ammunition.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
User avatar
Rip Van Winkle
 
Posts: 4172 [View]
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:48 am

As I read somewhere else, it's too bad he didn't have it pointed at himself. POS
User avatar
Jackpine Savage
 
Posts: 1706 [View]
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:45 am
Location: west central MN

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby xd ED on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:54 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:As I read somewhere else, it's too bad he didn't have it pointed at himself. POS

It was not at all surprising to learn that baldwin was the primary culprit in this incident.

LET'S GO BRANDON
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 9025 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:40 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I'm sorry. it wasn't a "prop-gun" that misfired. It was a real gun that someone either accidentally or intentionally loaded with real ammunition.


It was my understanding that real ammo will not fit a prop gun. IE a 38 might use a 30 caliber blank rather than the same as regular ammo or .38. This was years ago when many used 22 blanks or primers in odd caliber weapons.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
User avatar
LarryFlew
 
Posts: 5133 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Sprouticus on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm

A couple of years ago Ian McCollum interviewed Charlie Taylor from Movie Armaments group.

Mr. Taylor mentioned that parts of a blank case can separate and come out of the end of the barrel and be dangerous.
At the 12:00 minute mark, he shows the threaded adaptors they use to control the amount of muzzle flash, and not too long after that he talks about the possibility that blank firing firearms can explode.
Finally, if you pause the video at 21:00 you can see they are using full-sized star crimp blanks in their Mark 18 rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnOUrRTf6jg&t=1009s
User avatar
Sprouticus
 
Posts: 79 [View]
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Western Wright County

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:45 pm

As much as one might hate Alec Baldwin, not sure you can blame him for this one.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 12499 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby xd ED on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:42 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:As much as one might hate Alec Baldwin, not sure you can blame him for this one.

Would you accept a gun, point a gun at someone and pull the trigger based on someone else's word that it contained blanks?
LET'S GO BRANDON
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 9025 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby jdege on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:28 pm

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:As much as one might hate Alec Baldwin, not sure you can blame him for this one.

Would you accept a gun, point a gun at someone and pull the trigger based on someone else's word that it contained blanks?


No.

Not even if it was a entirely non-functional replica.

But if a prop-gun loaded with star-crimped blanks exploded, the direction of the shrapnel doesn't have much relationship to the point of aim.
User avatar
jdege
 
Posts: 4480 [View]
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:07 am

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Sprouticus on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:55 pm

According to Reuters
"...the prop gun contained live rounds when it was fired, according to details of the police investigation into the fatal shooting released on Friday."

I don't know who would think it would be a good idea to have any live rounds anywhere near these prop guns.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-baldwin-fired-prop-gun-that-killed-crew-member-movie-set-authorities-2021-10-22/
User avatar
Sprouticus
 
Posts: 79 [View]
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Western Wright County

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby xd ED on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:55 pm

jdege wrote:
xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:As much as one might hate Alec Baldwin, not sure you can blame him for this one.

Would you accept a gun, point a gun at someone and pull the trigger based on someone else's word that it contained blanks?


No.

Not even if it was a entirely non-functional replica.

But if a prop-gun loaded with star-crimped blanks exploded, the direction of the shrapnel doesn't have much relationship to the point of aim.


Warrant: Baldwin didn’t know weapon contained live round - TwinCities.com

An assistant director unwittingly handed Alec Baldwin a loaded weapon and told him it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, court records released Friday show.

“Cold gun,” the assistant director announced, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe court.

Instead, the gun was loaded with live rounds, and when Baldwin pulled the trigger Thursday on the set of a Western, he killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was wounded, the records said....
LET'S GO BRANDON
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 9025 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:18 pm

Additional information continues to trickle out in the “Rust” movie on-set shooting death of director of photography Halyna Hutchins and wounding of the film’s director Joel Souza. It seems that Baldwin wore dual hats as both the star as well as the producer of the film. Authorities now acknowledge the obvious: the prop gun “loaded with blanks” was indeed a real gun that was loaded with at least one live round. And there’s more . . .

In movies, the producer supervises all manner of the movie’s production. Again, Baldwin was producing this western period piece. Someone approved the use of live firearms (as opposed to inert prop guns or blank firing replicas) on the set, and the producer – Baldwin -was ultimately responsible for approving that decision either tacitly or directly. And someone on the set brought live ammunition to feed that real firearm, a cardinal safety sin.

As far as a criminal investigation, Yahoo News reported that Baldwin was interrogated by Santa Fe County Sheriff’s investigators and later released. As of now, no criminal charges have been filed . . .
Rowdy Roddy
 
Posts: 185 [View]
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:02 pm
Location: F/M

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:57 pm

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:As much as one might hate Alec Baldwin, not sure you can blame him for this one.

Would you accept a gun, point a gun at someone and pull the trigger based on someone else's word that it contained blanks?

It was a movie. If you want to reform hollyweird good luck.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 12499 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:59 pm

Rowdy Roddy wrote:
Additional information continues to trickle out in the “Rust” movie on-set shooting death of director of photography Halyna Hutchins and wounding of the film’s director Joel Souza. It seems that Baldwin wore dual hats as both the star as well as the producer of the film. Authorities now acknowledge the obvious: the prop gun “loaded with blanks” was indeed a real gun that was loaded with at least one live round. And there’s more . . .

In movies, the producer supervises all manner of the movie’s production. Again, Baldwin was producing this western period piece. Someone approved the use of live firearms (as opposed to inert prop guns or blank firing replicas) on the set, and the producer – Baldwin -was ultimately responsible for approving that decision either tacitly or directly. And someone on the set brought live ammunition to feed that real firearm, a cardinal safety sin.

As far as a criminal investigation, Yahoo News reported that Baldwin was interrogated by Santa Fe County Sheriff’s investigators and later released. As of now, no criminal charges have been filed . . .

Really, you think he approves it? He doesn’t even know what a real gun is.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 12499 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:02 pm

Are you guys fricken senile? Do you not remember what happened to Bruce Lees kid?

It’s Hollywood. They put Biden in office. How fricken smart do you think they are?
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 12499 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Next

Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron