‘Rust’ supplier may have mistakenly provided live rounds

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:30 pm

https://www.abqjournal.com/2450468/affidavit-weapons-supplier-may-have-given-live-ammunition-to-rust-armorer.html
Authorities say movie star Alec Baldwin was practicing a cross draw in an old church on the Bonanza Creek Ranch movie set when he discharged a live round from a Colt .45 revolver, killing Halyna Hutchins, 42, and wounding Joel Souza, 48.

Court records state assistant director David Halls had declared the firearm “cold,” meaning unloaded, before handing it to Baldwin.

Halls later told deputies he hadn’t checked the gun properly and couldn’t recall if Gutierrez had either.

The investigation by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office has centered around how the live ammunition got onto the set and where it came from.

[...]

The affidavit offers two possible explanations for how the ammunition got on set.

On Oct. 29, Kenney called deputies and told them he may know where the live ammunition came from. Kenney said “a few years back” he got reloaded ammunition from a friend and noticed the casing that killed Hutchins had a Starline logo on it.

A few weeks later, Thell Reed, Gutierrez-Reed’s father, told deputies that in August or September Kenney asked him to bring live ammunition for actors doing a live-fire training at a firearms range outside the state. Reed said he brought an ammo can with hundreds of rounds – including Colt .45 – and Kenney took it back to New Mexico with him afterward.

“After several attempts to get it back from (Kenney), (Kenney) advised (Reed) to ‘write it off,'” a deputy wrote in the affidavit. “(Reed) stated this ammunition may match the ammunition found on the set of Rust.”

jdege

Re: ‘Rust’ supplier may have mistakenly provided live rounds

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:55 pm

The liability still lays with the armor who’s job is to prepare the firearms to be used at that location for that scene. Still sounds like they employed lowest possible denominator, to save payroll or that’s all they could find. Excuses are like ass holes, everyone has one.
Sorcerer

Postby jdege on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:08 pm

Sorcerer wrote:The liability still lays with the armor who’s job is to prepare the firearms to be used at that location for that scene.

Ultimate liability is always on the guy who pulled the trigger.
jdege

Postby Citiot on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:08 pm

"(CNN)Alec Baldwin told ABC News he never pulled the trigger of the gun that shot director of photography Halyna Hutchins on the set of "Rust."

"The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger," Baldwin said in an excerpt released Wednesday from the sit-down interview -- his first since the October shooting."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/01/entertai ... index.html
Citiot

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:16 pm

According to a radio report I heard regarding an interview with L'il Georgie Sarcophagus, Baldwin claimed he never pulled the trigger...(of what I believe was a Colt SA revolver.)
Emotional Alec Baldwin says, 'I didn't pull the trigger' on 'Rust' set NBc News,com

A tearful Alec Baldwin said he "didn't pull the trigger" in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, whose death rocked Hollywood and raised concerns about weapons on movie sets.
In an interview with ABC News, set to air Thursday, Baldwin appeared baffled at how the shooting happened.
"Well the trigger wasn't pulled, I didn't pull the trigger," he said in a clip released Wednesday by ABC News. "No, no, no, I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them. Never."
Hutchins, 42, was killed and director Joel Souza, 48, wounded by a round apparently fired by Baldwin on the New Mexico set of the Western movie "Rust" on Oct. 21, at Bonanza Creek Ranch, in Santa Fe County, officials have said.
“I have no idea" how it happened, Baldwin told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos. "Someone put a live bullet in a gun, a bullet that wasn't even supposed to be on the property."
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:41 pm

Never pulled the trigger? BS. He is trying to cover his arse. FRY the mother!
Bearcatrp

Postby jdege on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Never pulled the trigger? BS. He is trying to cover his arse. FRY the mother!

If he'd cocked the gun, he may have had no idea how light a trigger pull a single-action revolver can have.

So I can easily believe that he was not expecting the gun to fire.

That said, he's not offering anything other than additional levels of negligence.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:24 pm

jdege wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:The liability still lays with the armor who’s job is to prepare the firearms to be used at that location for that scene.

Wanna bet? I bet the ultimate liability in this case will rest with the insurance company that has to pay out.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:37 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
jdege wrote:

Wanna bet? I bet the ultimate liability in this case will rest with the insurance company that has to pay out.

How ironic would it be if Baldwin skimped on insurance, the way he did on hiring an 'armorer'...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:41 pm

Whose ever property they were using would have required a policy and proof of insurance. I don’t know that you can really do business like that with out it. I suppose there are ways around anything but it would have to be pretty intentional and likely constitute fraud.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
jdege wrote:

Right.

I meant to say that ultimate responsibility is on the guy who pulled the trigger. He was the last person to control the gun.

Liability is a muddier issue.
jdege

Return to In The News