Minneapolis police shooting - here we go again

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Minneapolis police shooting - here we go again

Postby Erud on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:15 pm

There's a lot of potential legitimate reasons that guy could've been there sleeping on the couch with a pistol in his hand or right next to him. If we are playing hypotheticals, how about this one: dead guy's sister lives in the apartment, and the suspect the cops are looking for is her crazy ex-boyfriend who beat her up the night before. She called her brother to come stay with her because she was worried he was going to come back and kill her. Brother, who is a CCW holder and all-around good guy comes over and does exactly that, hoping nothing happens, but bringing a weapon just in case. He gets woken up to a bunch of people coming in the front door shouting, and naturally grabs the pistol while he's trying to wake up and figure out WTF is going on. Cops see gun and kill him on the spot.

Now that probably isn't the exact scenario that played out, but it sure could have been. Without a no-knock warrant being served, that guy is still alive. Most people on this board sleep with guns readily accessible. If the police seeing a person with a gun in their hand inside a private residence (where they weren't invited) is justification to shoot them, we have a big problem.
Erud

Postby INOR on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:35 pm

This is where the gun was pointed when he was shot. Pointed down and away and finger not even on trigger but resting on slide. His head wasn’t even fully out of the blankets yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby rtk on Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:43 pm

The mayor and interim chief are more worried about putting on their face masks on and off between answering questions than anything else…what a circle jerk.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Lumpy on Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:54 pm

"No-Knock" warrants are a child of the War On Drugs- gotta' catch them before they can flush the evidence. Which has led to no end of grief: dogs, grandmothers, and innocent bystanders getting shot by police who treat the search like they're storming a suspected terrorist stronghold in Mosul.

Anyone here remember the Metro Gang Strike Force? The unit that ended up being more or less a rouge gang themselves? Remember the shooting of undercover officer Duy Ngo?

This is s***. There's got to be a better way.
Lumpy

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:00 pm

Lumpy wrote:"No-Knock" warrants are a child of the War On Drugs- gotta' catch them before they can flush the evidence. Which has led to no end of grief: dogs, grandmothers, and innocent bystanders getting shot by police who treat the search like they're storming a suspected terrorist stronghold in Mosul.

Anyone here remember the Metro Gang Strike Force? The unit that ended up being more or less a rouge gang themselves? Remember the shooting of undercover officer Duy Ngo?

This is s***. There's got to be a better way.

On he opposite end of the no-knock warrant fubar continuum is/ was Riley Houseley, III

This story is the best complete telling of the event I found in one spot.

I would compare no-knock warrants to the the use of lethal force. It is one tool for Law Enforcement to use with the utmost caution.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:13 am

So are we back to defunding the police then???
Holland&Holland

Postby INOR on Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:34 am

This is a good synopsis of what is described in the MPD report versus what the bodycam actually shows. This is why bodycams are proving to be critical evidence because the simple truth is that police write these reports and wordsmith to control the narrative.

https://m.startribune.com/breaking-down ... sable=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby 870TC on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:01 am

Hindsight its a thing.

As person that keeps a firearm for self defense, I acknowledge certain risks. This is an example of one.

Both parties had limited time to make a decision and they each acted accordingly.

Realistically, If I was put into either participants roles in this shooting...the same result would occur.
...sleeping,uninvited people enter yelling, shining lights and holding guns...yep -I'm likely grabbing my firearm.
...serving a no knock murder warrant and someone comes up with a gun...yep- I'm likely shooting him.
870TC

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:33 am

870TC wrote:Hindsight its a thing.

As person that keeps a firearm for self defense, I acknowledge certain risks. This is an example of one.

Both parties had limited time to make a decision and they each acted accordingly.

Realistically, If I was put into either participants roles in this shooting...the same result would occur.
...sleeping,uninvited people enter yelling, shining lights and holding guns...yep -I'm likely grabbing my firearm.
...serving a no knock murder warrant and someone comes up with a gun...yep- I'm likely shooting him.

This
Holland&Holland

Postby TSKNIGHT on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:29 pm

Just listened to a radio report on this shooting.

Three no-knock warrants served simultaneously by MPD SWAT teams in search for a murder suspect on behalf of SPPD.
Original warrant was not a no-knock. That was requested by MPD SWAT.

If that's true this was a fishing expedition. They had no solid evidence their suspect was in any one of those apartments.

Normally I would support LE, but this operation stinks. MPD is in full damage control mode.
Makes me think MPD SWAT wanted an excuse to play and this guy paid the ultimate price for crashing on the wrong couch.
TSKNIGHT

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:53 pm

TSKNIGHT wrote:Just listened to a radio report on this shooting.

Three no-knock warrants served simultaneously by MPD SWAT teams in search for a murder suspect on behalf of SPPD.

If that's true this was a fishing expedition. They had no solid evidence their suspect was in any one of those apartments.

Normally I would support LE, but this operation stinks. MPD is in full damage control mode.
Makes me think MPD SWAT wanted an excuse to play and this guy paid the ultimate price for crashing on the wrong couch.

Why would you think that is you suppose?
Holland&Holland

Postby TSKNIGHT on Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:33 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
TSKNIGHT wrote:Just listened to a radio report on this shooting.

Why would you think that is you suppose?

Which part? The fishing expedition, MPD SWAT wanting to play, MPD doing damage control, or all of the above?
TSKNIGHT

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:25 pm

My understanding was that the warrant was for evidence not a person but MPD had had a violent interaction with the apartment lease holder in a previous in counter.
Sorcerer

Postby TSKNIGHT on Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:38 pm

Sorcerer wrote:My understanding was that the warrant was for evidence not a person but MPD had had a violent interaction with the apartment lease holder in a previous in counter.

So they guarantee another violent encounter by doing a no-knock raid. Makes sense.
TSKNIGHT

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:21 pm

TSKNIGHT wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:My understanding was that the warrant was for evidence not a person but MPD had had a violent interaction with the apartment lease holder in a previous in counter.

So they guarantee another violent encounter by doing a no-knock raid. Makes sense.

As opposed to knocking on the door of someone who will be shooting back?
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to In The News