NRA Board Member, Wayne LaPierre Ally Resigns After 23 Years

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:25 pm

https://www.newsweek.com/nra-board-member-wayne-lapierre-ally-resigns-after-23-years-1680816
A longtime ally of National Rifle Association (NRA) CEO Wayne LaPierre has resigned after serving on the organization's board of directors for 23 years.

NRA board member Todd Rathner did not explain why he was leaving while announcing that he was stepping down in a statement posted to social media on Thursday. Rathner's departure comes as the NRA faces multiple challenges including dwindling membership and a lawsuit from New York Attorney General Letitia James that seeks to dissolve the organization over alleged financial misconduct.
jdege

Re: NRA Board Member, Wayne LaPierre Ally Resigns After 23 Years

Postby TSKNIGHT on Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:01 am

Too little too late. Wayne has done more damage than can be repaired in the near future.
It will take years for the membership to build trust in the organization again.
TSKNIGHT

Postby jdege on Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:37 am

TSKNIGHT wrote:Too little too late. Wayne has done more damage than can be repaired in the near future.

It was Todd Rathner who resigned. It doesn't look like Wayne is going anywhere.
jdege

Postby TSKNIGHT on Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:09 pm

jdege wrote:
TSKNIGHT wrote:Too little too late. Wayne has done more damage than can be repaired in the near future.

It was Todd Rathner who resigned. It doesn't look like Wayne is going anywhere.

I understand that Wayne hasn't stepped down, but he's the driving force and has been for a long time. Nothing will change until he steps down and even when he does it will be a long time, if ever, that the NRA regains anything close to what it once was.
TSKNIGHT

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:42 pm

I won’t renew my membership until Wayne is gone! He is sucking the NRA dry.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:24 pm

So you guys are ok with private gun ownership becoming illegal?
Holland&Holland

Postby nhluke on Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:31 am

I would say I'm so far on the side of keeping private ownership of firearms in the US, I'm happy to see the nra implode. It doesn't guarantee anything but long term I think it's for the best.
Edited to add
I currently still have a membership for reasons that don't really involve thinking it will benefit defending 2a issues..
I would love to see the nra be transformed into an efficient/effective organization but I think it's more likely it'll be other organizations that surpass anything the nra has done in the last 20 years. Again, I'm only saying it's more likely.
Part of my disappointment is I've grown weary of groups that constantly push fear and problems without solutions.
nhluke

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:53 am

nhluke wrote:I would say I'm so far on the side of keeping private ownership of firearms in the US, I'm happy to see the nra implode. It doesn't guarantee anything but long term I think it's for the best.
Edited to add
I currently still have a membership for reasons that don't really involve thinking it will benefit defending 2a issues..
I would love to see the nra be transformed into an efficient/effective organization but I think it's more likely it'll be other organizations that surpass anything the nra has done in the last 20 years. Again, I'm only saying it's more likely.
Part of my disappointment is I've grown weary of groups that constantly push fear and problems without solutions.

Being disappointed, pushing for change, and growing weary are one thing.

Quitting membership altogether is cutting off one’s nose to spite there face.
Holland&Holland

Postby nhluke on Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:55 am

I'm not advocating quitting defending and trying to restore rights. I believe the nra is most likely a sinking ship and probably isn't worth supporting. I'm not saying it's always been a cancerous dinosaur. I might as well buy new paint for the uss Arizona.
nhluke

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:22 am

nhluke wrote:I'm not advocating quitting defending and trying to restore rights. I believe the nra is most likely a sinking ship and probably isn't worth supporting. I'm not saying it's always been a cancerous dinosaur. I might as well buy new paint for the uss Arizona.

So what ship do you support then? Who is in washington filling that void?
Holland&Holland

Postby TSKNIGHT on Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:01 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
nhluke wrote:I would say I'm so far on the side of keeping private ownership of firearms in the US, I'm happy to see the nra implode. It doesn't guarantee anything but long term I think it's for the best.
Edited to add

Being disappointed, pushing for change, and growing weary are one thing.

Quitting membership altogether is cutting off one’s nose to spite there face.

I'm a life member of the NRA and was very active in my early years. 25+ years ago I learned about the NRA and how they worked. We were working on the original "Shall Issue" carry law at the time. The NRA's contributions were minor, but Marion Hammer dropped in for a photo op when the bill passed and proceeded to take the credit for getting it passed. Used it to rebuild their coffers that were depleted in the fight.

There are a couple members here that could tell you more than I can. They were boots on the ground in St Paul. I was just one of the many hands working out state manning information booths and writing Congress Critters etc.
TSKNIGHT

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:01 am

We are very lucky we have some great local resources and I am not suggesting in any way to not support those. They do way more for us locally and in the state than the NRA ever has or likely will. That said there really is no other force at the national level like the NRA to keep our gun rights intact.
Holland&Holland

Postby 870TC on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:19 am

Holland&Holland wrote:We are very lucky we have some great local resources and I am not suggesting in any way to not support those. They do way more for us locally and in the state than the NRA ever has or likely will. That said there really is no other force at the national level like the NRA to keep our gun rights intact.

+1
870TC

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:28 am

Holland&Holland wrote:We are very lucky we have some great local resources and I am not suggesting in any way to not support those. They do way more for us locally and in the state than the NRA ever has or likely will. That said there really is no other force at the national level like the NRA to keep our gun rights intact.

Agree and abandoning the NRA, even with its faults, is a bad idea until there is an organization with the gravitas to fill the void. It's a mistake to let a vacuum occur. Better idea would be a coalition of organizations to bolster the effort. The fact that these other groups exist separately tells me all I need to know. They are no different than the NRA except they aren't large enough yet to suffer the same faults.....yet. if they were all truly interested in the defense of the 2nd Amendment, they would be marshaling resources not competing. Divided we fall....
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:41 pm

TSKNIGHT wrote:There are a couple members here that could tell you more than I can. They were boots on the ground in St Paul. I was just one of the many hands working out state manning information booths and writing Congress Critters etc.

The NRA didn't have much of a role until the last minute, but the final vote passed because of the NRA.

We'd passed the shall-issue bill in the House, and the governor promised to sign it. But the Senate refused to bring it to the floor.

We were certain that we had enough pro-gun Democrats to pass the bill if it came to a vote, but the Senate leadership refused to allow a vote, blocking it in committee.

The House took a semi-related bill that had already passed the Senate, passed a replace-all amendment and sent it back to the a Senate for reconciliation. Under Senate rules this sent it directly to the floor, bypassing the committees.

So there were two votes on the floor, first on the question of whether to take up the bill, and then on the bill, if the first vote passed.

And that's when the NRA's lobbyist showed up. He worked with a GOP senator - Geoff Michel - who felt he could not support the bill, and convinced him to vote for bringing the bill to the floor, even though he was going to vote against the bill itself. And that's what happened - Michel voted on the motion, it passed, then voted against the bill itself. But we gained enough pro-gun Democrats for the bill to pass.

I wasn't involved in those final negotiations at all, and have no idea whether Michel would have done the same without the lobbying efforts of the NRA rep (whose name i don't remember). But it was the NRA rep who negotiated the vote that gave us final passage, and I'll never forget that.

I've always felt that I, personally, might have had some influence there, beyond the usual foot soldier stuff of working gun shows, helping stuff envelopes, etc. Michel represented Edina, and I was living in Edina at the time. I'd been attending the GOP BPOU meetings, and had talked to Michel several times, and met with him for lunch, once. I was an active member of MNCCRN who lived in his district and who'd been in direct contact with him. That might have mattered.
jdege

Next

Return to In The News