Judge refuses "Corporate Death Penalty" in NRA case

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Judge refuses "Corporate Death Penalty" in NRA case

Postby Lumpy on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:00 pm

https://apnews.com/article/business-new ... 71741077e7

James’ lawsuit, filed in August 2020, tells “a grim story of greed, self-dealing, and lax financial oversight” at the NRA’s highest levels, but it does not allege any financial misconduct benefited the organization or harmed the public, or that the NRA is incapable of “continuing its legitimate activities on behalf of its millions of members,” Cohen wrote in a 42-page decision.

So the NRA isn't being held corporately responsible but LaPierre and co. can be held accountable. Best outcome in my opinion.
Lumpy

Re: Judge refuses "Corporate Death Penalty" in NRA case

Postby jdege on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:09 pm

I still think that the new leadership should reincorporate outside New York.

But let's bounce Wayne, first.

And let's reorganize the board, so as to make this sort of corporate capture more difficult.
jdege

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:59 am

When the Board election documents get sent out, how, as a member, are we supposed to know who these people are and what they stand for( character, values, history). I agre, there is enough evidence of mismanagement to warrant a house cleaning, but who replaces these people and how do we know they aren't just as likely to dine in fancy restaurants and order expensive wine?

And by the way, these other upand coming 2A defense groups are ultimately headed in the same direction. Only a matter of time before leadership feels entitled to feed off of the largess that member dues represent. Management oversight and accountability is critical to the longevity of any organization.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:33 am

The current board structure is simply wrong.

It's too large, meets too rarely, and has degenerated into a sort of pro-gun popularity contest than any sort of mechanism for real oversight.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:21 pm

yukonjasper wrote:When the Board election documents get sent out, how, as a member, are we supposed to know who these people are and what they stand for( character, values, history). I agre, there is enough evidence of mismanagement to warrant a house cleaning, but who replaces these people and how do we know they aren't just as likely to dine in fancy restaurants and order expensive wine?

And by the way, these other upand coming 2A defense groups are ultimately headed in the same direction. Only a matter of time before leadership feels entitled to feed off of the largess that member dues represent. Management oversight and accountability is critical to the longevity of any organization.

This
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News